PDA

View Full Version : North Yuba???

DFrink
03-01-2010, 06:30 PM
My family and I along with a large group of friends head up to The Lure Resort every year around the middle of March. Every year I try fishing the river and every year I get skunked (I did actually catch 1 small bow 2 years ago). Does anyone have any hints on what stretch of the river may be fishing better at this time of year and/or what flies might work? I know the top water will be dead, I usually try small stones and midges under an indicator or using the high stick method. Hopefully someone has some info. PM's welcome of course.

Dan

MSWNCity
03-01-2010, 06:50 PM
I don't know for sure but I would try a short sink tip and some large streamers (buggers, muddlers; black, olive,brown). Swing them, as best you can, under and in front of cut banks. There are a lot of places along that stretch where the banks have deep cuts.

Rich Leonetti
03-02-2010, 09:42 AM
My family and I along with a large group of friends head up to The Lure Resort every year around the middle of March. Every year I try fishing the river and every year I get skunked (I did actually catch 1 small bow 2 years ago). Does anyone have any hints on what stretch of the river may be fishing better at this time of year and/or what flies might work? I know the top water will be dead, I usually try small stones and midges under an indicator or using the high stick method. Hopefully someone has some info. PM's welcome of course.

Dan

Talk to Bill Carnazzo @ Kiene's he should be able to offer some good recommendations. I know he has a website too

robdog
03-02-2010, 10:38 AM
I had some success fishing deep in the early spring on that stream, but you can lose flies. #-o

DFrink
03-02-2010, 12:12 PM
Robdog,

I figured I would hear from you, I have read your bolg in the past. I'll try going deeper. I have sink tips now, that I didn't have in the past so I'll give some bigger streamers a try on the swing.

robdog
03-02-2010, 12:42 PM
Robdog,

I figured I would hear from you, I have read your bolg in the past. I'll try going deeper. I have sink tips now, that I didn't have in the past so I'll give some bigger streamers a try on the swing.

LOL...You are funny. The N Fork of the Yuba is one of my favorites places to get my pole wet. Speaking of which, I have to go back for some picts. I had some picts for my blog, but I didn't save them & geocities deleted my account:sad:. It gives me another excuse to hit it up there :p BTW, that sink tip is a very good idea.:thumbsup:

Jimmie
03-03-2010, 03:06 PM
Through the years I have had the most luck on the N. Yuba in the early season when it is high and cold with prince nymphs about #14-16. Dynamite always works too...*grins* Take Care,
Jimmie, Chicago Park

DFrink
03-24-2010, 12:37 PM
Well another year, another skunk. I didn't fish as much as I had planned (only about 3 hours all weekend). The water was very high (expected) and it was difficult at best to get anything down. I tried the usuall, and swinging (as best I could) a sink tip with a black bugger and a soft hackle PT with no luck. Oh well, the weekend was great so no complaints. Thanks for the suggestions.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-24-2010, 08:18 PM
North Fork of the Yuba River takes a while to warm up so I think June is a good month up there for most fly fishers.

DFrink
03-25-2010, 06:53 AM
Listen to Bill, I definately wouldn't drive up there right now.

wineslob
03-31-2010, 12:58 PM
If it's anything like the South Yuba, (Lange Crossing below Spaulding) like Bill said, don't bother till the water warms up.