PDA

View Full Version : kern river water for redwood city

mikel
03-01-2010, 09:22 AM
http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-news/ci_14489145?nclick_check=1

This is scary to me...they take actual h2o from the delta in a water trade involving the Kern River, which is down where WWD and Paramount want all the delta water to go. :eek:

Darian
03-01-2010, 10:18 PM
I read the article and while it is disturbing that water is being sold by water holding companies at the rate it is and for development purposes, I'm not sure any water is coming from the Kern River. :confused: The article cited the Kern County Water Agency's aquifer.... The source for that storage/transfer facility is the Delta.... :(

Even more disturbing about the proposed sale/transfer is that after expending all of the expense/power involved in moving the water to Kern County, it would then be sent backwards to the bay area. :confused:

Just another confirmation that water is more valuable for agricultural/development purposes than for commercial/recreational fishing activities.... It's the free market in operation. As John D. Rockefeller once said, "The business of America is business." :| :|

mikel
03-02-2010, 09:45 AM
This may be a dumb question, but do they (or in this case, would they) actually move the water 300 miles back to the north, or do they somehow trade and exchange "credits" and take the water only a short distance? There seems to be such a move to reselling water at a profit, not that doing so hasn't been done for a long time...but it seems more prevalent now?

-Mike

Darian
03-02-2010, 12:53 PM
Would they actually transport the water or use offsetting credits.... :question: :question: Unanswerable without seeing the actual proposal. However, either way is doable. Here's another wrinkle. Given the amount of time involved in approval and build out of the redwood City project, is the proposed tunnel from the bay area really for the purpose of meeting this need :question: :question: