PDA

View Full Version : Identify this pond bug

jburge
03-01-2010, 08:25 AM
So, I'm once again getting skunked on a local stillwater, but notice something swimming a few inches below the surface, with an action that can only be described as crazy wiggling. I toss this out to the experts... anybody know what this is?

http://takeahike.us.com/flies/bug1.jpg

http://takeahike.us.com/flies/bug2.jpg

Maybe knowing what's in and around this water will help me get rid of my goose eggs for the year. Thanks!

John

Troutstalker55B
03-01-2010, 09:08 AM
Damsel nymph, I've never seen one so neon though. J Fair wiggle tail in the same size and color on a floating line should do.

JB

David Lee
03-01-2010, 09:13 AM
Damsel Nymph , fresh-shed . They get that Chartruse/bright Green color when they have 'new' shells . Shoot him on the back of your finger next time so we can use the fingernail for scale , please !

Take the water temp - I am willing to bet that if that critter was swimming around within a few inches of the surface , it was around 62 degrees .

Great photos !!

D.~

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-01-2010, 09:21 AM
Damsel flies are in lots of ponds, lakes and streams but Davis Lake in Nor Cal and Crane Prairie Reservoir in Central Oregon have to two most famous Damsel emergences I know of.

They come in many sizes and colors.

**We were at Crane Prairie in the summer of 1976 with our Cortland Line Company Rep Joe Patterson at the Rock Creek access in float tubes. The vegetation was at the right level on the surface and the Damsels where hatching by the thousands.

Mike Monroe, owner of the Fly Hutch in Sacramento, had tied up some blue adult Damsels for Joe Patterson and this was the year we all got to see unbelievable top water Damsel fly action there.

Lake fishing for trout has really evolved in the last 30 years.

Scott V
03-01-2010, 11:27 AM
I saw some damsel nymphs crusing around Cameron Park pond on Saturday.

jburge
03-02-2010, 08:02 AM
Thanks, guys! I knew I'd get some good info.

Troutstalker, right on. I tried both an olive and multi-colored wiggle tail, but no luck. The sizes were a bit big though.

David, good idea about taking the water temp. I didn't think of that. Plus, I like the thought of taking the pic on my thumbnail. Gotta remember that for next time. Call it geeky, but I remembered that my measure-net holes are 3/16 in diameter, so I knew I could figure out size.

Bill, great memories. Thanks!

Scott, I wasn't too far down the road ;-)

John

mike N
03-11-2010, 08:17 AM
Here is an effective style of tie for the damsel hatch. Play with the colors to match local conditions.

MN

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p77/mikenovotny/DSCN5341.jpg

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-11-2010, 09:30 AM
Hi Mike

I think that pattern is illegal in 7 western states?

Just kidden'...........very nice.

Ed Wahl
03-11-2010, 06:26 PM
Mike, do you normally catch 12 trout at a time?

Do you hook one and let him swim around trolling 'til your rigs full, or do they all attack en masse?

Just how big is your landing net anyway?

Ed, who just couldn't resist.

mike N
03-12-2010, 09:00 AM
Don't knock em til you try em.

MN

Scott V
03-12-2010, 10:07 AM
Don't knock em til you try em.

MN

I'll try 'em, throw some my way.

On a side note, how is work holding up Mike. I am assuming you are as slow as we are.

mike N
03-12-2010, 11:16 AM
SV,

I would send some to you if I were still tying any flies. I might have a few in my boxes, but there aren't many left.

Work is still steady for us. I guess that is a benefit of being on a bunch of teams. I know of a bunch of Archs that don't have such good fortune, though.

MN

jburge
03-12-2010, 04:55 PM
Here is an effective style of tie for the damsel hatch. Play with the colors to match local conditions.

Mike,

Nice looking pattern. Can you point me to a recipe? Thanks!

John

mike N
03-13-2010, 11:16 AM
I don't think the instructions are on line any more. But here is how I used to tie it.

front hook TMC 105 size 10
tail hook Targus 101 size 14

Tail hook:
Marabou tail
dubbed abdomen
trim hook in vice to desired length after tying.
make a bunch of these at one time.

Front hook:
Tie in a piece of 6 or 8# maxima as a hinge for the tail hook.
Slide pre-tied tail onto maxima, pull maxima over towards shank and secure.
Burn 10# maxima ultra green to desired size to make burned eyes. I think I used to use about 3/4" or so. I also made a bunch of these at one time.
Tie in eyes.
Tie in a piece of colored foam at the bend of hook, leave it hanging towards the tail hook until later.
Tie in a little marabou as gills just in front of the foam, I don't always use this step.
Dub the body of the front hook to a little behind the eyes.
Tie in legs just in front of dubbed body. I think I used either a hen saddle or one of the little feathers from a duck or pheasant wing elbow, there are lots of options. You can tie the legs in several different ways; wrapping it like a soft hackle and pulling half to one side and haft to the other is probably easiest. I guess it all depends on the look you want.
Pull the foam over the body and legs and tie off just behind the eyes and infront of legs.
Dub a small head over the eyes.
Tie off thread in front of dubbed head.

I use head cement throughout the tie, but didn't refer to it above.

That's it.

Instead of foam you can use turkey quill or something else for the wing case. I just used the foam to make the fly neutrally boyant.

I hope that helps.

MN

jburge
03-14-2010, 05:52 AM
I don't think the instructions are on line any more. But here is how I used to tie it.

Thanks, Mike!

John

Adam Grace
07-03-2010, 12:40 AM
Mike those look nice

1flyfisher
07-19-2010, 04:02 PM
I saw a RED adult damsel at davis lake last year. It looked really cool with the red and black. I'd never seen a red one before @ davis.

They come in all sorts of different colors in different areas around the U.S. and the globe. There are all sorts of different damsels sub species.
I have seen tiny neon green damsel nymphs like the OP's pic in davis lake.

http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/distr/insects/dfly/index.htm

http://www.cirrusimage.com/damselfly.htm

FRSam
08-18-2010, 07:39 AM

MN

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p77/mikenovotny/DSCN5341.jpg

Hey Mike...Your damsel tie is a killer. You sent me some from another board (your fish nazi days) several years ago for use at Lake Davis and they knocked them dead. I still tie your fly and always have some in the box.

Pete