PDA

View Full Version : Lower Yuba River is in perfect shape.......

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-28-2010, 03:38 PM
.............right now = Sunday, 2/28/2010 @2:30pm - Warm and sunny too.

As reported to us at the shop by Andy Guibord on his cell phone.

It's Skwala time...........

Darrin.Deel
02-28-2010, 05:25 PM
the lower sac is not. just got home from doing bonny to anderson. 12" visibility. worse downriver. first time ever putting up a goose egg on the sac.

RJSFLYTRIP
03-03-2010, 06:53 PM
I guided the Lower Yuba today. It was supposed to be a full day trip but it ended up more like 2/3 of a day. The water looked awesome this morning. Great green color. Fish were super grabby from the start on egg patterns. Then as the day progressed our 4 feet of visibility turned into about 1 foot of visibility by three oclock. It didn't help that they increased the flow to 2,300 cfs right in the middle of the day. But that is part of the game.

All in all it was a good day. Hooked 16 hot rainbows between 16"-19" in about 5.5 hours of fishing. It could have been a banner day if the water clarity would have stayed good.

Should be fishable again by Friday. Assuming the weather man is correct and everything is going to be dry tomorrow.

Tight Lines!

medfly
03-03-2010, 07:32 PM
get anything off the surface?

RJSFLYTRIP
03-03-2010, 08:59 PM
Saw a couple random fish rise to PMD's in the middle of the day. By the time the bugs were starting to come off the clarity of the river was only a couple of feet. I can tell you that I saw PMDs, March Browns, Baetis, and a handful of Skwalas during the middle of the day.

Hope this helps.

Tight Lines!

Big Jim
03-04-2010, 04:04 AM
Rick

I am surprised that eggs are still in play....is it form the trout spawn..?

Jim

RJSFLYTRIP
03-04-2010, 10:28 AM
When the water clarity starts to suffer with 3 feet or less visibility the fish really become opportunistic in feeding. So even though there are no salmon in the water a big egg coming down to them is to hard to pass up. It is something that they recognize and they know that it is going to be harder because they just can't see as well. Sometimes it proves beneficial to fish something that they can see. It is pretty hard to pick up a size 16 nymph when the water is starting to go brown.

Hope this helps.

Tight Lines!