PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Annual Bass-n-Fly Challenge on May 21, 2010

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-25-2010, 09:13 AM
http://bassnfly.com/The%20Bass-n-Fly%20Challenge%20tournament.html

It is on a Friday starting @ 6:00am and is a fun event.

All you need is a boat, live-well and two fly fishers.

We did it for the past 2 years and it is a wonderful day on the Delta.

Come for the weigh-in and barbecue @ 2:00pm if you can't make the tournament.

Lots of money and prises for the winners.

If you need any help I can talk to you about it. It is very easy and fun.

May is a big top water time in the Delta for LMB.

k.hanley
02-25-2010, 07:13 PM
Bill thank you for your continued support. The Team appreciates very much your participation. We created the event as a celebration of the fly game. Also to become a solid community working together to protect bass habitat as well. We're heading in the right direction and growing on both fronts.

If anyone has more questions you're welcome to drop by the Fly Fishing Show this week (Fri, Sat, Sun). I'll be tying every day, book signing, and doing a seminar with Jay (Murakoshi) on Sunday. I'd be happy to share the Bass-N-Fly experience with you folks.

It's an honor to be a part of this fly fishing community.
Cheers, Ken

Charlie Gonzales
02-27-2010, 10:49 AM
Very excited to be fishing this years event with Noel De Guzman. Look out fishies, here we come!

k.hanley
02-28-2010, 08:21 AM
Welcome aboard Charlie. I think you'll have a great time. Enjoyed a nice long conversation with Noel yesterday.
Cheers, Ken

Jimmie
03-03-2010, 03:48 PM
As I mentioned to you at Pleasanton, Ken, If I can work things out I hope to enter. Spoke with Trent about it and he is interested. Take Care, Jimmie

k.hanley
03-03-2010, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the update Jimmie. Sounds good.
Cheers, Ken

lynnwhite44
03-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Hey Bass fishermen. I have been interested in this tourney for the last couple years but have been too chicken to enter. For one, I have never fly fished in the Delta and two my ski boat does not have a live well(I suppose I could buy one of those portable ice chest live wells). I have recently stored my boat out at Rivers End Marina in Byron so I want to get out and fish the Delta this spring.

My question is should I even bother with entering the tourney or should I wait till next year? By the looks of last years entrants I don't think I will be out of alot of people's leagues as I saw all kinds of boats from small outboards to expensive bass boats. Any suggestions about live wells would also be appreciated.

k.hanley
03-09-2010, 03:48 PM
Say hey Lynn,
Thanks for the interest in our event. People use the portable ice chest livewell option all the time. No problem. Contact Kevin Doran via his website "Delta Adventures" and ask him about the ice chest set up.

You want to wait for next year? What are you waiting for to happen? Join the fun this year! It's about the camaraderie of the community. Cool day.
Cheers, Ken

KD
03-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Lynn et all....

As Kenny suggests....many use a standard cooler as a livewell. You would need to get an aerator kit and there are prepackaged kits available at most sporting goods stores. These are designed for icechests and are inexpensive. Perhaps some on this board that have fished the event in the past can give their input of what they used. Key things to be concerned about with keeping your fish in good shape....CO2 & ammonia buildup, and water temp. The basics. Exchange the water often, and keep it cool, Use ice or frozen bev bottles to cool it if necessary. Start with cool water in your well(morning) and monitor it throughout the day add small amount of ice if temp is getting warm. Use some Rejuvenade(bassmedics.com)as directed. They are a supporting sponsor of the event and have good info about livewell maintenance on their website.

I you have inclination to participate I'd suggest that you do it! Everyone has a good time and has fun with it. The livewell part may seem like a hurdle but it is an easy thing to address.

Take care of your catch, have a really fun time and we'll see you at the weigh-in!

And remember ANYONE can catch the big one!

joshfish
03-10-2010, 09:40 PM
lynn if you go to bass n tubes on there home page you can click on rigging gallery and the search through the pictures and click on livewell gallery. it has a couple of good ice chest livewell setups.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-10-2010, 11:02 PM
On the first Bass-N-Fly we used a big cooler with a 12 volt pump we got from Fisherman's Warehouse and put some Rejuvenade powder in the water.

At the weigh-in our fish were so wild we could barely catch them.

lynnwhite44
03-11-2010, 10:24 AM
thanks Guys, I'm in. I'll send my registration in next week.

anyone want to tell me what flies they use on the Delta? or perhaps a resource where I can find out what flies might work, books or videos?

Scott V
03-11-2010, 11:11 AM
Lynn,
I will be fishing mostly top water bugs and dahlberg divers. If you want to go subsurface you can use clousers, or almost any other type of big streamer. For bass the bigger the better, but that is just my opinion. When I fished conventional gear all my bass lures were big and bulky, and they worked great.

Put weed guards on all your flies, the bass live in the weeds so you need to throw into the weeds, and I mean deep into the weeds. When I throw top water poppers I will throw my fly all the way to shore and bring it back through the weeds.

k.hanley
03-11-2010, 03:48 PM
Lynn welcome aboard! See you on May 21st. We're looking forward to sharing a great day with everyone.
Cheers, Ken

lynnwhite44
03-15-2010, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the tips Scott.

And thanks for welcoming me Ken.

I may have to purchase the book by Costello "California Delta" and Bass the movie.

How are the bass biting on the Delta right now?

briansII
03-23-2010, 10:46 AM
Just wanted to say that we launch at Ladds/Buckley Cove last weekend. What a great facility to have the tourney at. Three very nice launch ramps, and lots of parking. We stayed at La Quinta, which is only a few minutes away. Good looking water was close to the launch. Doesn't get much better than that.

I was very much looking forward to the tourney, but unfortunately, it being on a Friday means I can't attend. My boss(me), won't let me take the day off. :-(

briansII

Scott V
03-23-2010, 01:02 PM
Just wanted to say that we launch at Ladds/Buckley Cove last weekend. What a great facility to have the tourney at. Three very nice launch ramps, and lots of parking. We stayed at La Quinta, which is only a few minutes away. Good looking water was close to the launch. Doesn't get much better than that.

I was very much looking forward to the tourney, but unfortunately, it being on a Friday means I can't attend. My boss(me), won't let me take the day off. :-(

briansII

Your boss(you) is not a nice guy then. I think you should take him(you) outside and teach him(you) who is really in charge. Give him(you) the back of your(his) hand if needed.:D

Mike Churchill
03-23-2010, 07:31 PM
I've got the boat (my dad's 20-foot North River) and a small amount of experience fishing for largemouths in the delta.

I don't have a live well, but I do have a very large ice chest that would serve with the addition of a portable pump.

What I also don't have is a guarantee that I can get the day off from work. Odds look good at the moment but it's too far away to predict whether @#$% will hit the fan or something out of my control will get put on my schedule between now and then.

Looking for someone who is not going to take it too seriously but who can hit the water with a big fly with some consistency. Split the entry fee if we make it to the blast-off and I cover the whole thing if I have to cancel.

Anybody interested? Post replies here or email me at mchurchill@downeybrand.com.

Mike