PDA

View Full Version : Sturgeon

ted1
02-22-2010, 03:22 PM
I'm curious if anyone has cought sturgeon on the fly? Either by accident or consistently. I've never heard of it on the fly.

wjorg
02-22-2010, 04:24 PM
hooked one on accident at the log hole

Tony Buzolich
02-22-2010, 04:51 PM
Funny that this should come up as one of my buddies is planning trip soon to the Columbia to specifically target sturgeon with his Cam Sigler 16/17w.

As for now though, the only listing for sturgeon on the fly comes from Lake Superior. The sturgeon weighed out at 11 lbs. 2oz. and was caughton 4 lb. tippet.
TONY

Mr T
02-23-2010, 08:19 AM
Back in the 80's or so I recall reading an article in STS about Dave Vedder going for sturgeon with a 10 or 12 weight. Lead core with a thick wooly worm soaked in smelt juice was the ticket.

He caught a couple around 40 punds and then hooked an oversize and that was that.

dpentoney
02-23-2010, 08:47 AM
While not caught on a fly, I know a guy that years ago caught and released an oversize on the Klamath at Terwer riffle fishing for steelhead with single eggs on his fly rod. Over six feet long on 8 lb. test........

Mike R
02-23-2010, 10:04 AM
There are certain times of year that sturgeon move into Honker Bay to feed and are basically tailing like bonefish. I think a giant fly soaked in scent may work. Good luck after that.

Mike

bait fisherman
03-01-2010, 04:51 PM
Using sent is out of the fly fishing realm isn't it? It would be quite a battle on a fly rod though.

Dan Harrison
03-01-2010, 10:32 PM
I have been thinking about this for quite some time believe it or not and honker bay sounds like it has potential. I could go out tomorrow and catch a sturgeon on my 12wt in the delta but that wouldn't really be fly fishing. I would have to use alot of scent or bait. Now in June of 1947 the first Bonefish was deliberately taken on a fly by Joe Brooks. Up until that point no one thought it was possible. There were ealier catches but on accident and there is a difference. If a sturgoen is tailing in the shallow and you could place it just like you would for a permit bonefish or carp no scent would be needed. I believe it is totally possible if one could find the time and place. Man this make feel warm and fuzzy inside. :nod:

Darian
03-02-2010, 12:25 AM
Zen,.... Meaning no disrespect,.... I'm curious. Have you ever seen a Sturgeon tailing in the shallows :?: :?: Or, is this just speculation :?: :?:

ptychocheilus
03-02-2010, 12:26 AM
so one of the premier baits for white sturgeon in the lower Columbia are (used to be?) Pacific lampreys... why wouldn't a big ol' bunny leech work almost as well? I've worked with lake sturgeon, and they're more active foragers than folks give them credit -- put something in front of one's face and it'll eat...

Scott V
03-02-2010, 08:20 AM
Zen,.... Meaning no disrespect,.... I'm curious. Have you ever seen a Sturgeon tailing in the shallows :?: :?: Or, is this just speculation :?: :?:

I have in Hog's Slough, thought it was a big beaver until it jumped out of the water.

Darian
03-02-2010, 12:00 PM
OK!!! If the water's clear, targeting Sturgeon might be doable. :nod: Of course, once you hook one, there's the problem of landing it.... :lol: :lol:

Feisty Fish
03-03-2010, 01:21 PM
I did hook one last year on my fly rod, but it broke off. I used downriggers to drop the bait down to the bottom of the river. I was using pileworms... What a kick!!!

medfly
03-03-2010, 09:55 PM
wait, pileworms on the end of your flyrod with downrigger weight?

Feisty Fish
03-04-2010, 03:21 PM
It was a BLAST!!! I know it's not your typical thing, but I really wanted to hook a Sturgeon on my FLY ROD... I used the downrigger to drop my fly line down to the bottom of the river, when the Sturgeon hit, the fly line popped of the rigger clip and Sturgeon on!!!!

Ed Wahl
03-04-2010, 07:00 PM
FF, I like your style.

Ed

Dan Harrison
03-07-2010, 04:39 PM
No Darian can't say that I have, that is more of a dream than anything. I have however been with pods of sturgeon in 6 feet of water. This is in honked bay and San Pablo. The fish cause swirls and movment to the water so it would be a complete guessing game as to where the head is. If the water were clear it would no be a problem to see a six foot fish six feet down but this as we know is not the case with the bay/delta so will remain a pipe dream. Visibility is really the problem the cast would have to be right in the vaccum track.

Darian
03-07-2010, 06:06 PM
Hmmm,.... Maybe we're limiting our chances by letting water clarity dictate our choice of fly/lure.... :confused:

Sturgeon are used to operating in turbid water and still being able to feed. So, they must have a very developed sense of smell. Why not try a fly/lure with an attracting scent :?: :?: Set up with a fly rig that would handle the largest fresh water fish, a large (weighted :?: ) fly, some shrimp or anchovy spray scent and let 'er fly..... :D Smoked Sturgeon is YUMMEEEEE!!!!! :unibrow:

Dan Harrison
03-16-2010, 08:37 PM
Hmmm I may be spending some time in honker bay next October have had some great sucess for striper in the bay that time of year. I will be out and have my 12wt ready for an oportunity. Hey crazier things have happened!!