PDA

View Full Version : Englebright Dam Removal

Ned Morris
02-22-2010, 03:13 PM
Anyone out there can shed some light on the latest in regards to Englebright Dam being removed/left in place on the Lower Yuba? This one has been out there forever it seems. Constraints I have heard are the tremendous amount of debris that is behind the dam in the lake that is all leftover from the long lasting soil deterioration from hydro mining not to mention the recreational base influence. Is this rhetoric or would this in fact put the salmon in great jeopardy with the dam removal? I have heard both arguments, talked with DFG biologists at DaGuerre many times, but I need more insight from those of you out there. I am writing an article on the last Wild Central Valley Salmon Stocks of CA and would greatly appreciate some input. Thanks.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-23-2010, 11:54 AM
As an 'old dog' I am really excited that in my lifetime some dams are being removed in the USA.

Seems like then put most of them up over the last 100 years and now maybe we can get ride of some in the next 100 years?

Money, politics, practicality, hydro, Ag, and 'who knows what else' all has to be considered before they take one down.

Many are comletely filled in with sediment and are effectively just like a water fall now.

Darian
02-23-2010, 12:31 PM
Don't know much about this but.... other than serving as a forebay for Bullards Bar Reservior, I'm not sure Englebright has a purpose. However, forebays are an important part of attempting to control outflows from major, upstream impoundments (flood prevention). A forebay traps a lot of sediment and debris and this one gets inflow from the middle/south forks of the Yuba as well. So, Englebright probably has a bunch of that stuff behind it. 8-)

That probably doesn't mean much to us fly guys unless you happen to live in Marysville or Yuba City.... ;)

Mrs.Finsallaround
02-23-2010, 10:06 PM
I was at the Lower Yuba River Technical Working Group meeting last month, and nothing was said about removing the dam. They are talking about some gravel augmentation projects in 2 locations just below the dam and above Deer Creek.

Ned Morris
02-24-2010, 10:32 AM
Sounds like this one is on the backburner. Oh well, thought I could get some more words out of the subject. Thanks for the input!:thumbsup: