PDA

View Full Version : Goose Crap Pond

Ed Wahl
02-21-2010, 09:52 PM
So I'm sittin there this morning reading the paper and wondering if I should go fishing or get my grass mowed.

I thought to myself, Scott mentioned Mather was due for a plant of rubber trout, I could do that instead.

I called Scott, at first he sounded annoyed, but them said he just launched the tube on Cameron Park Pond.

While we talked he grunted and said something like "holy sh--, fish on.

You guys can guess what I ended up doing, and it had nothing to do with grass, well, er, lawn.

So here's my report.

At the parking lot it was eerily like a trip I was on a few weeks ago. I got rigged up and went to get my fly box and found out I'd left it on the table at home.#-o

Laugh it up Robin. Go ahead.

I almost left then but I had a clouser on my deep rod and found a weird looking bugger hanging in the carpet of my camper shell for the other. And since I'd just arrived and had a "buddy" out there already I figured I'd just bum a few flies. Again. :-\"

Upon launching I noticed that the weeds sure seemed thick for February. It seemed I had to kick out about a third of the way to the bouy to clear them.

Once out there I saw Scott with a bent rod, always a good sign.

So I bummed a few buggers of Scott and went to work.

And work.

And work some more.

Not so much as a tap.

Meanwhile, Scott's still not having any problems catching fish. And pretty nice ones at that.

I hate that guy.

So after a few hours, when I couldn't stop shivering and I had no feeling left in my fingertips, we decided to call it a day.

After comparing notes in the parking lot, I'm fairly certain that I was just fishing way too deep. I was on the bottom and I believe Scott's fly was just over the top of the deeper growing weeds.

And knowing Scott for a couple of years now I realize he's got a nack for catching bass.

In all honesty, I can still say I'd rather be doing that than mowing the lawn.

Ed

Hairstacker
02-21-2010, 10:03 PM
Ed, nice writeup. :lol:

Sooo . . . since you were fishing basically the same flies, were you fishing different lines/leaders? Or was he just retrieving a bit faster?

Ed Wahl
02-21-2010, 11:48 PM
Very different lines Mike. Scott was using a type 3 sinking line and I brought my 9wt t14 striper rig to get deep, and a 3wt with an I line for the fun stuff.
It was a gamble on my part, I know there are 10lb bass in there and I thought that maybe dredging the bottom with huge flies would pay off.

In the box I left on the table were many rubber legged and rattled bass flies that I hoped would turn the table.

Maybe they would've. Of course, they didn't catch a thing sitting on the table.

Table flies? Maybe the next big thing.

Ed

Jay
02-22-2010, 12:31 AM
Ed, if you really want a giant, I'll let you know if my bite shows up this year. It typically runs beginning of march to about the first of april. It can be downright silly. Ive got a feeling that this will be one of those good years. You might be able to do it with a real big clouser, but I'll be throwing conventional stuff.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h223/fourbizzle/siggy4.jpg

Ed Wahl
02-22-2010, 08:03 AM
:shock::shock:
I'm in. Just let me know.

Ed

Scott V
02-22-2010, 10:09 AM
Hey Jay, if you are willing to share spots, I have access to a private piece of water that holds these kinds of fish, and lots of them.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/PsychoZ/IMGP0096.jpg

ted1
02-22-2010, 10:17 AM
Any size to those bass?

charles
02-22-2010, 11:12 AM
I've found that any time you fish with with Scott he always catches fish. I don't think that guy has ever gotten skunked. There was our frozen trip to the north yuba (remember that Scott) my feet were still cold when I got home. But with 38 degree water temperatures it would be hard for anybody to catch a fish. Anybody who fishes with Scott know the fish always find the way to his fly. I have to admit it is fun to watch. I would be funner if those were my fish though ; ^ ).

Scott V
02-22-2010, 02:54 PM
Ted the average size at Cameron was 14-15".

Jay
02-22-2010, 05:28 PM
Scott I'm very interested in that deal, although when I tell you where I do most of my damage you probably wont be too excited, its a well known lake, I just know how to fish it.

Im very interested in fishing that especially if its one of the G valley 3. If its LoP I will mow your lawn all year for a standind invite :D

Scott V
02-22-2010, 07:24 PM
Jay it is in Lodi, and we have to use float tubes. I am going there in 2 weeks with my cousin to make sure my key still works and scout the lake. It is a small place surrounded by houses. With a 4" reaper worm I have had 30+ fish days easily. Average fish is about 1.5 to 2 pounds. But there are plenty of big boys hidden in there. And I believe one of my buddies lives in Lake o the Pines, I should find out next weekend.

Jay
02-22-2010, 07:33 PM
Oh that pond. There were a bunch of guys off the sniffer beating that pond to death last year. At least I think that is the one.

Lodi is too far for me to drive for bass. I have a hard time finding the energy to get to Folsom, haha.