PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid Help?

Jay
02-21-2010, 02:55 PM
Gents, gonna have a couple of days to fish next week.

I have never been to Pyramid. What do I need to do to get fish? I have ladders and float tubes at my disposal. What, where, and how is it done? It is a big lake, and it is a long way away, so any help is very much appreciated.

Looking at Fri-Sat. If I dont do well, I might retreat and try the Truckee.

Thanks
Jay

jayclarkflyfishing
02-21-2010, 09:32 PM
Look for the line up at the Nets(Sutcliffe) and jump on in.Be mindful to not crowd people as things can get a bit crowded.Fish wooly buggers and foam beetles on a sinking line of some sort.Fish midges or nymphs under an indicator on a floating line.Wade out till your about waist deep and cast to deeper water.Leave the tube at home as most fish being caught are in close to shore.Good luck.

Jay

Jay
02-21-2010, 10:10 PM
Thanks! Do I need a NV license in addition to the tribal license, or just the tribal license?

Also, is there a type of water I can look for if I cant handle combat fishing? Shallow with a drop off beyond it, etc, etc.?

I assume that the lodge in sutcliffe has an ample supply of beetles? That is not something that I have in my boxes ( except small, natural looking beetles, which I gather arent the beetles that Pyramid guys are talking about.)

Chris Evison
02-21-2010, 10:27 PM
You just need the tribal permit- no state lic needed. If you plan on camping you'll need a permit for that also. If nets is crowded try other beaches. I caught an almost 11lb fish and an almost 9lb fish in 1/2 hr late in day at Pelican beach. Both under indicator on sz 10 midge. Got nothing stripping. You can get flies at the Reno flyshop and they have permits, maps and current info on lake and Truckee river. Bring the ladder, it is nice to get elevated out of cold water. Fisherman are averaging 0-5 fish per day. Watch out for the wind and good luck.

Jay
02-21-2010, 10:41 PM
Whats the standard ladder? Ive got glass ladders from 4-12 ft, might as well take the exact one i need :D.

Will hit the reno flyshop for bugs and permits.

Thanks again guys.
Jay

jayclarkflyfishing
02-22-2010, 06:43 AM
A 6' step ladder is what I use.Most beaches on the west side of the lake will have fish this time of year.Windless,Pelican,and Seperator are all good access points.One word of caution,be wary of the soft sand!Driving in the soft stuff leads to getting stuck and it will cost $300 to get towed out by the tribal tow company.

Chris-Nice job on the big fish!Let's hook up at the lake soon!!

Jay

1flyfisher
02-22-2010, 11:12 PM
You don't have to have a ladder if you fish around the lake but it gets you out of the cold water and you can cast a bit further.

6-8wt rod. Floatin lines to fast sinking lines and/or shooting heads.

Float tube or pontoon boat.

wooly buggers, floating beetles, size 10 12# beadhead bugs, streamers.

air down your tires to 20 psi if you get stuck in sand. if that doesn't get you out air down to 12. carry a shovel and a recovery strap.

anywhere on the lake right now you can catch fish

gene goss
02-24-2010, 09:31 AM
Only a tribal person can pull you out if you get stuck.....if your friend or someone else offer to help pull you out......THEY.....will be fined if caught for pulling you out.

1flyfisher
02-24-2010, 01:07 PM
LOL, No that's not the case...if you get stuck anyone can pull you out with a recovery strap.

1flyfisher
02-24-2010, 01:30 PM
.....you can recover a stuck vehicle. If you break down you have to use Toby or a Paiute Res towing company. If you need to be taken to the shop then it has to be a tribal approved towing co.

Bruce Slightom
02-24-2010, 05:29 PM
I always have a couple of carpet remnants in the truck. Carpet has gotten me out of sand and mud more than once. Cheaper than $300.

DFrink
02-25-2010, 07:51 AM
I always have a couple of carpet remnants in the truck. Carpet has gotten me out of sand and mud more than once. Cheaper than $300.

Never heard of using carpet, brilliant!