PDA

View Full Version : I got Speyed today and Gualala Report

ReddHead
02-20-2010, 06:18 PM
I caught my first Steelhead on a Spey rod today. I am now addicted and I am going to Spey all day tomorrow.

Tony Buzolich
02-20-2010, 06:44 PM
What is the fish you are holding at the top of your website? It looks like something between a trout and a pike. Unusual dark coloration if it's a trout?
TONY

ReddHead
02-20-2010, 06:59 PM
That is a coastal cutthroat from SE Alaska. They look like that because the Tannic Acid colors the water a dark brown and color wise they have evolved to reflect the dark environment in which they live. They are pretty cool fish. Not big but usually voracious eaters.

Ned Morris
02-20-2010, 09:45 PM
What a beauty. Glad to hear you had success there. Got another goose egg on the Russian today but at least I had a grab for a moment.

b
I caught my first Steelhead on a Spey rod today on the Gualala River. I am now addicted and I am going to Spey all day tomorrow.

As far as fishing on the Gualala, I fished from the North Fork down and upstream of the North Fork. I caught the one aforementioned Steelhead and a nice half-pounder. Both were caught swinging a Spey style egg sucking leech. I heard of one other Steelhead caught. There were a lot of people but everyone was very cordial. Some fish were seen rolling. They appear to be coming in right now.

I posted a picture of the fish on my website which can be found here:
http://www.reddheadflyfishing.com/

Tight lines!

wjorg
02-22-2010, 05:18 PM
mouth closed today. not coming in. saw on my way to work.