PDA

View Full Version : Tying Question

NCL
02-20-2010, 07:09 AM
I tied up some flashback PT's and used UV Knot Sense in place of the epoxy for the wingcase. I used the UV light and everything looked fine until I went to use them yesterday and found the Knot Sense was not holding to the fly. The flies are still useable without the wing case but I was curious if anyone had has this experience.

David Lee
02-20-2010, 08:54 AM
You will likely lose the wingcase after a few fish , but your fly will STILL get bit !

People care more about that kind of thing than the fishes do .....

D.~

NCL
02-21-2010, 07:23 AM
You will likely lose the wingcase after a few fish , but your fly will STILL get bit !

People care more about that kind of thing than the fishes do .....

D.~

David,

Thank you for the input it is appreciated.

David Lee
02-21-2010, 08:44 AM
I think the problem is .... the UV Knot Sense doesn't stick to ultra-slick stuff (mylar/flashabou) , though I am guessing since I have never used UVKS .

Try a drop of Flexament or Goop thinned w/ Touline on the wingcase - I doubt it'll last forever , but should be tough enough for several fish .

D.~

Lance Gray
02-21-2010, 01:41 PM
I just use epoxy, :D I tie 24-36 flies and then make a pot of epoxy and go to town. The epoxy sticks to everything. Epoxy also does one other real important function. It gives you more weight to help push that fly down and stay down.

Lance
530-517-2204
http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

NCL
02-22-2010, 07:13 AM
David,

I think you are probably right that the UVKS does not stick to slick materials. Since it was made for another purpose that makes sense.

Lance,

I know about the epoxy method I was just looking for a fast way to create the wingcase. I just hate dealing with the messy epoxy but as you said there other benefits.

Thanks to both for input.

Darian
02-22-2010, 10:47 AM
NCL,.... Seems to me that Liquid Fusion would be perfect for your application. It's a urethane based adhesive, dries clear and cleans up with water. No Mixing, no fumes involved. Apply with a toothpick. Buy a 3 oz container at Michael's..... Good stuff. :nod: :nod:

Jgoding
02-22-2010, 03:36 PM
I've noticed Knotsense seems to be adhesively challenged too at times so I wouldn't use it for those purposes. Maybe the new product they supply is better but I don't know... can't remember what it's called but it might be the same stuff but it comes in a bigger bottle which is great.

NCL
02-23-2010, 07:02 AM
NCL,.... Seems to me that Liquid Fusion would be perfect for your application. It's a urethane based adhesive, dries clear and cleans up with water. No Mixing, no fumes involved. Apply with a toothpick. Buy a 3 oz container at Michael's..... Good stuff. :nod: :nod:

Darian,

I just picked up a bottle of this to give it a try so I am glad you mentioned it. I haven't tried it yet because I had the UVKS open. I think I will give up on the Knot Sense and try the Liquid Fusion.

Fats
02-23-2010, 07:15 AM
Does the liquid fusion have to be mixed or is it a one bottle application. I tie lots of poxy backed nymphs and will readily accept advice for the wing pad. 5 minute expoxy works but it can be a pain.

Darian
02-23-2010, 09:47 AM
As mentioned, it's all in one bottle and requires no mixing.... It's thick already but can be thinned with water. Should be good for poxy back nymphs. a 3 oz bottle will probably last forever for that use. :nod:

FISHEYE
02-23-2010, 10:48 AM
I have been tying Murakoshi sea habits and I am now using liquid fusion for the heads instead of epoxy. I add the eyes and then a coat of LF. When it dries I add the scribbles and when that dries another coat of LF. It cleans up with water and dries clear but not as hard as epoxy. I'll test it on the Baja in May but so far this stuff looks like a great replacement for epoxy heads.

Jay- have you tried the LF yet?

I have also replaced expoxy on my Belize baitfish pattern the guides named the kiss of death. For that I am using tuffleye flex. I think I'll try LF here as well the next time I tie these, but the tuffleye is instantly cured with the light and the LF takes about 5 minutes to set up and several hours to dry.

phil

Darian
02-23-2010, 12:20 PM
Phil,.... I've been tying some Sea Habits for Baja too (goin' in early june). I used LF for the last group of them. LF is so thick, I tried it thinking I'd save some time but found that if I thinned it enough to allow leveling I had to apply a number of coats to finish the head (using the same steps that you describe). If I used it as it comes from the bottle, I had some trouble with it leveling while in rotation.... :nod: Did you experience this as well :?: :?:

FISHEYE
02-24-2010, 12:19 PM
Darian, I have had no leveling problems with the LF straight out of the bottle. It comes out pretty thick but levels quickly. I would not want it any thinner. I am also using 3-D dome eyes on some flies and prism tape eyes on others. I like the looks of the 3-D better but I doubt the fish care. The biggest problem is finding good bucktail. The stuff in the local shops is thick and short. I ordered tails from Salt Water Edge and those have been long, straight and fine. I only had one tail that was crinkly which I don't like.

What colors are you tying? I have grey/white (white knights), olive/white, tan/white, and green/chartruese. I may do some pink, brown, and blue ones as well. Not only are these great Baja flies, but I did catch a number of Belize tarpon on them in November. I'll have about a zillion way to many but this is my relaxation and i enjoy it. One or two flies per night really adds up.

My buddy Mike and I are going with jay on May 8, same time as last year. We did well on roosters and skippies, but there were few dorado around and the yellowtail had just left. I just can't go in June since we have good fishing here in Alaska.

Darian
02-24-2010, 10:08 PM
Phil,.... I guess I just need to work more with this stuff. I'm tying Sea Habits and Clousers for Baja, too. Same colors as yours. I'm buying some Bucktails from Jay and expect he will give me the length/type that are used for these flies; not too long, crinkly( sort of like me :lol: )....

I've tied nothing larger than 2/0 as the bait last summer was smaller than normal (especially in October). I still have some larger flies from past years, tho. My fishing partner and I are going down to La Paz on May 29th. We've always chosen that week as the weather isn't boiling yet and the variety of large game fish species is amazing at that time. When one isn't there, many others are.... Can't wait for all of the great food/drink and sun.... :D :D

If I lived up where you do, I might have to rethink my trip dates as well. :nod: