PDA

View Full Version : Golden Trout Help

huntindog
02-16-2010, 10:22 AM
So my 9-year old son wants to catch a golden trout. He is a pretty capable fisherman for his age, and can keep up with me on most "hikes." What I am looking for is a place that we could do a realatively easy backpack trip, maybe a mile, and have a decent chance at some goldens. Don't mind getting off the beaten path either. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Ed Wahl
02-16-2010, 10:59 AM
HD, if you don't mind a drive I'd take him to Bear Creek in Fresno County. It's between lake Thomas A. Edison and Florence Resevoir. It's an easy trail, plus you can fish for Rainbows and Browns near the diversion dam, Brookies a bit farther up, and walk some more and catch Goldens.

It's been 5 or 6 years since I've been up there but the last time up the Goldens were about 3.5 to 4 miles up. But the trail's easy.

Ed

bigfly
02-16-2010, 12:39 PM
It's not time yet (too much snow), but Conness/Saddle bag lake area near Yosemite's eastern boundry is great for begginers. Ride a Ferry boat to the far end (saves a bigger hike), then fish the little lakes surrounding Saddlebag. Browns, Bows, Brookies, and Goldens a little ways up the trail. Then ride back to the car. This area is outside the park, no high $ pass needed. Really nice spot. A friend is on the "Golden in a day program", this works well for him. Good for an overnight trip too.
Happy trails!
Jim

huntindog
02-16-2010, 01:20 PM
that trip sounds fun...i should have added we are looking for a mid summer time frame...

bigfly
02-22-2010, 03:31 PM
Huntin, mid-June is a bet at that elevation. Barring a miracle March/April.
Another spot is West of Bigpine CA. off 395, just south of Bishop. Not too far in are seven lakes. First lake has Bows/Goldbows.
2nd-4th lakes, a fish a cast. Goldens. Tell'em hi for me.
Jim