PDA

View Full Version : new world record for Brown Trout

robdog
02-12-2010, 05:35 PM
I don't know if anyone spoke of this, but I guess there is a new world record for Brown Trout:
http://igfa.org/News/image.axd?picture=2010%2f1%2fDSC_0298.jpg

The fish was caught on a rapala on Michigan's Manistee River. The fisherman was targeting salmon & steelhead, but caught that monster instead. If this was already discussed, sorry that I brought it up again.

Tight lines!!!

Jgoding
02-13-2010, 01:44 AM
Why would you keep that fish.... never understand people... it was a beauty.

mr. 3 wt.
02-13-2010, 09:03 AM
the reason for killing that fish is exactly what you see. A hero shot! For a minute he is the best damn angler in the world. (or he would like you to believe this) You mean to tell me he is not your hero, he's mine!

Hairstacker
02-13-2010, 09:55 AM
Maybe he plans on eating it? Didn't George Perry, who caught the world record largemouth bass in 1932(?), take the fish home and eat it for supper?

Or maybe this fella plans on mounting it in his den.

robdog
02-13-2010, 11:51 AM
Well I am sure the stream's steelhead & salmon are happy that monster is no longer there ;)

Hairstacker
02-13-2010, 11:57 AM
Well I am sure the stream's steelhead & salmon are happy that monster is no longer there ;)

No kidding! I was thinking along the same lines that that thing must've been a terror. :lol:

huntindog
02-13-2010, 01:15 PM
i will open myself up for the fodder and say...no way in hell i let that fish go if it is legal to keep...i keep it...take a hundred photos and measurements for my wall mount, make a statement something like this " i caught it with my fenwick rod, my daiwa reel, my trlilene florocarbon, and a rapala 5 inch broken back," i wait to sign some checks and then i eat the thing.....wouldn't even feel the least bit guilty about it. Go ahead let me have it.

Charlie S
02-13-2010, 03:53 PM
Funny thing is that I saw Browns (lake run browns called Seeforelle) caught in Germany that weighed up to 32 kilos....kind of like "World" Series Baseball....but only in the US. Also saw some captured for egg taking and reproduction purposes over there that were close to 40 kilos.

I don't think I would keep the fish...but that's just personal feelings. I don't care if he does or not, makes no difference.

1flyfisher
02-13-2010, 05:26 PM
That fish would look beautiful on my smoker.

huntindog
02-13-2010, 06:42 PM
That fish would look beautiful on my smoker.

thats what i am talking about

jbird
02-13-2010, 07:55 PM
Im guessing you guys have never tasted BIG trout. Big rainbows taste like old socks and big browns taste even worse.

The majority of fisheman on this earth dont even know the term "Catch and Release"

I cant tell you how many times someone has introduced me to somebody and described how much I fish and then follows up by saying "Yeah, and he lets them all go! He says he just catches them for fun."

Most people see a glazed butterball turkey when they think of fish.

1flyfisher
02-13-2010, 09:58 PM
That baby would fill my freezer. I'd have to chuck some freezer burned rainbows that have been in there since last june but I'd get him in there.

thats what i am talking about

Mrs.Finsallaround
02-14-2010, 08:40 AM
Im guessing you guys have never tasted BIG trout. Big rainbows taste like old socks and big browns taste even worse.

The majority of fisheman on this earth dont even know the term "Catch and Release"

I cant tell you how many times someone has introduced me to somebody and described how much I fish and then follows up by saying "Yeah, and he lets them all go! He says he just catches them for fun."

Most people see a glazed butterball turkey when they think of fish.

I'm with you J.... I work in an Asian majority company, and boy do they think we're nuts for practicing catch & release!

Tony Buzolich
02-14-2010, 09:14 AM
I'm no expert on Brown trout but everyone that I've ever caught had bright red spots with a dark halo as a part of it's color pattern. I've even taken bright chrome sea-run browns with the same red spots but I don't see any of those marks on this fish.

Do some browns not have these distinguishing marks?
TONY

David Lee
02-14-2010, 09:19 AM
I'm no expert on Brown trout but everyone that I've ever caught had bright red spots with a dark halo as a part of it's color pattern. I've even taken bright chrome sea-run browns with the same red spots but I don't see any of those marks on this fish.

TONY

Several different flavors of Browns - Red spots and no Red spots , among other differences . My favorites are the ones w/ hardly any Black spots .

D.~

Charlie S
02-14-2010, 09:19 AM

TONY

Tony, there are numerous different sub species Brown Trout. Some have predominent red spots, some have almost invisible red spots lightly scattered. I like the Browns with the huge red and black spots as you described with that rich brownish red back and sides and bright yellowish/gold underside. No matter how they're colored they're fun to catch.

Jgoding
02-15-2010, 07:06 AM
Sorry guys I guess I was in a bad mood the other day. Great catch and hero shot. I didn't even notice that fish has hardly any red spots if any. Maybe there's a visine plant nearby or something....