PDA

View Full Version : small shad spoons with the Goo (CCG)

grassrat
02-11-2010, 05:54 PM
I started makin some of these last week in hopes the water will drop some on the Roanoke and Neuse rivers here in NC...it sure is rolling at this time.

anyway good fun makin them and they are pretty easy and simple to make

grassrat
02-11-2010, 05:56 PM
and the rest in two more post...sorry for the small pics...I can't seem to make them bigger in the post...

grassrat
02-11-2010, 06:01 PM
and the last set....
It is a #4 hook for the small spoons and for these I don't use any weight on the shank of the hook..I usally fish these on either a 125 gr full sink or heavier depending on the rivers flow...

Anyway, they are pretty simple to make and start to finnish takes me just under 3 mins per fly if I do the whole fly at once..its quicker if I tie the frames up first though.
Fred

Darian
02-11-2010, 10:18 PM
Hey Grassrat,.... Good post. Those flies/spoons are very cool looking. So, you propose using them for Shad :?: :?: I've seen the spoons used for Red's but never heard of them used for Shad before.... :confused: They do look like they might work well for some of our surf denizens (e.g. Spotfin/Yellowfin Croaker, etc.) 8)

Think I might try a few in Baja in June, too.... :unibrow:

Jgoding
02-12-2010, 09:42 AM
If I remember correctly, Goo is UV cured.... so I'd recommend holding that fly with something other than your fingers when you cure it.... I know you're a big strong guy and all but why expose yourself to that kind of risk when you don't have to. When I use knotsense I try not to even look at the fly and wear safety glasses to protect my eyes anyways.

grassrat
02-12-2010, 12:55 PM
Jgoding, you are correct indeed that the CCG is in fact a UV cure product. I had the light tested and found the light spectrim is almost in the blue light spectrim...so it'd be at the upper range of the Violiet light...so that'd put it in the UVA..UVB is what the sun's rays are that damage your skin and give sunburns. After a lot of research on this and my eye doctor also looking at this and not raising any concerns, I'm pretty good with its use.
Darian, yup, they are good for shad..hickory and the american's!

Scott V
02-12-2010, 03:35 PM
grassrat, I'll take 3 in pink, 3 in orange, and 3 in green. Just kidding.

But those are nice, they should work great come summer time.

Jgoding
02-13-2010, 01:43 AM
Hey Grass it's your decision. If it's not a very strong UV then I guess it's not so bad but I'd still protect myself. Nice flies btw.

Hairstacker
02-13-2010, 10:15 AM
Jeff, ok, now you've got me curious. At first, I thought maybe you were joking but clearly you're not. Could you please provide a few more details on what the concerrn is? Would sincerely appreciate it, thanks!

Jgoding
02-14-2010, 12:30 AM
Hey Mike,

So, the light used to cure goo falls within the UV spectrum. Grassrat pointed out it's in the same wavelength as what you find emitted by the sun which is what causes sun-burn. In most applications where a UV spectrum is used it is shielded to minimize exposure. A common industrial use of UV light is to sterilize surfaces or keep areas clean. You can buy UV sterilizers for fish tanks. The water is pumped through a unit with a UV emitting bulb and this kills mainly algae and bacteria (if you ever have a tank that is green constantly, I'd recommend using one instead of chemical treatment). Even here, the unit is encased in a black canister to prevent exposure.

I imagine most people wear sunblock when venturing outside these days so the philosophy with using a uv light is the same to me.... why hold a fly with your barehands and shine a uv light on them if you don't have to and you don't really want to look at it either. I can't say how strong the light is but thymine dimerization happens fairly quickly and although it is repairable it's what leads to skin cancer from prolonged/frequent exposures. I believe Bob Pops even mentioned it somewhere that he had a friend/aquaintence damage his hands using UV cures.

At work we had a person working too close to some of the lights in the GH, she sunburned herself in under 15 minutes and these lights were metal halides and not even UV so you can take that as you will.

Hairstacker
02-14-2010, 02:39 AM
Jeff, now I get it. I don't own such a light but have considered getting one and all of this is very good to know. Thank you very much for the detailed explanation!

grassrat
02-14-2010, 06:13 AM
Actually, this is what I wrote

"Jgoding, you are correct indeed that the CCG is in fact a UV cure product. I had the light tested and found the light spectrim is almost in the blue light spectrim...so it'd be at the upper range of the Violiet light...so that'd put it in the UVA..UVB is what the sun's rays are that damage your skin and give sunburns."

Since the UVA light spectirm is not the one that burns ya...since the light itself is measured in Miliamps of power..I don't worry. Grouping all UV light in one group is almost like saying all flyfishing is alike.

I made some larger ones at the shop yesterday...they will be for some spring reds here in the Carolina marshes in april!..snow on the ground now...I hate snow!!!

Charlie Gonzales
02-14-2010, 10:26 AM
Cant wait to tie some up an try them. Hopefuly I can buy the CCG at the Pleasanton Show.

Jgoding
02-15-2010, 06:54 AM
Hey Grass,

Sorry, I misread your post where the UVA and UVB were separated by "..." but

Here's an exerpt on UV:

Definition:
Sunlight has a profound effect on the skin causing premature skin aging, skin cancer, and a host of skin changes. Exposure to ultraviolet light, UVA or UVB, from sunlight accounts for 90% of the symptoms of premature skin aging. Many skin changes that were commonly believed to be due to aging, such as easy bruising, are actually a result of prolonged exposure to UV radiation.
What is UV?
The sun gives off ultraviolet radiation that we divide into categories based on the wavelength.

UVC - 100 to 290 nm
UVB - 290 to 320 nm
UVA - 320 to 400 nm
UVA
UVA was once thought to have a minor effect on skin damage, but now studies are showing that UVA is a major contributor to skin damage. UVA penetrates deeper into the skin and works more efficiently. The intensity of UVA radiation is more constant than UVB without the variations during the day and throughout the year. UVA is also not filtered by glass.

And another exerpt from a cancer site.

Until recent years UVA was considered to have very few, if any, deleterious effects and so was of little academic interest because UVA rays don’t cause the acute “sunburns” we remember as red, painful, and possibly with blisters, etc. They are caused by UVB rays. Dermatology and medical researchers have known for years of the familiar effects of UVB radiation (290-320 nm) on human skin. UVA radiation is not safe, and many of the harmful effects produced by UVB radiation are also seen with exposure to UVA radiation. As our knowledge has grown in “Skin Biology” over the past 50 years, solar radiation has now become a major environmental factor deleterious to our health. UV radiation from the Sun (290-400 nm) has been implicated in the induction of many acute and chronic harmful effects on human skin.

About 52% of the solar radiation is in the UVA range, so UVA radiation (320-400 nm) is abundant in natural light. The UVA output by the Sun is significantly greater than the UVB throughout the year. The major portion of the UVA radiation does reach the surface because the atmosphere has no specific role in filtration or lessening the UVA radiation. A major source of UVA radiation from artificial sources is from low-pressure mercury arc fluorescent lamps use the lighting industry in tanning salons, tanning beds, and phototherapy units. Most of these lamps emit high intensity UVA radiation (13-20 mW/ cm²).

So I guess if you need to touch up any tan lines I know I can do it at home now.

bcarson4374
02-15-2010, 07:56 PM
I think there is a significant difference in a tanning booth or a plugged in mercury vapor light verses a hand held 3AAA battery LED light that lasts months on one set of batteries with continuous use. While I understand your concern I think you over estimate the power of the LED light.

Clear Cure Goo cures in 3-5 Seconds using the LED light and it also cures in 3-5 seconds on a Low UV index day out in the sun. What does that tell you.

Darian
02-15-2010, 10:48 PM
I'm with Jeff on this one. :nod: Regardless of the limited exposure for one fly, the exposure over a number of flies and period of time may be cumulative. Problems may not appear for a lengthy period of time (as in sunburns).... use the light while curing the material in a vise or hemostats. It never hurts to be safe. :D

grassrat
02-16-2010, 08:21 AM
What I thought was a good little post on what were some neat little spoonflies I made and wanted to share how to make them has turned into a fact session on UV light and cautions on their uses....of which I'm gona go out on a limb as say that I know more about this sort of stuff than most folks just because of the lab work I do professionaly and the line of work I've been employeed in for the last 30 years. The lights that come with the CCG kits are safe for the use specified.

Thanks for the percautions on uv light guys...point taken.

Now...if I post anymore flies or tuts using the CCG, will I have to see these precautionarys again?

Jgoding
02-16-2010, 12:37 PM
I was just pointing out that maybe there was a slightly safer way to do it. I majored in genetics and some people are at higher risks than others for all sorts of things and perhaps pointing out that shining a UV emitting source on yourself when you don't have to may reduce the chance of bad things happening to anyone might be a good idea. At my workplace, safety is taken very very seriously and at first it seemed like a big hassle but after awhile and watching how other people work where the simplest piece of safety equipment like safety glasses or just wearing some gloves could save a lot of pain and unneeded injury it felt like something to be pointed out.

Also, the sun probably cures it faster because it emits shorter wavelengths of UV. I don't think my post took anything away from your flies either, I said they were nice. I didn't say not to buy that stuff or anything either because of it being UV cured either, hell I'm going to buy some when I get around to it.