PDA

View Full Version : Headed for the Amazon tomorrow morning....

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-11-2010, 12:34 AM
I will get to catch my first Peacock Bass plus other crazy looking fish.

This is high end "camping" with air conditioning and daily laundry service?

I think we will have it much easier than Teddy Roosevelt had it in 1913.

I am taking a copy of the book "River of Doubt" about Roosevelt's travels in the Amazon.

http://www.riverplateoutfitters.com/

"It's tough job, but somebody has to do it!"

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___

The Roosevelt River (Rio Roosevelt, currently named Rio Téodoro) is a Brazilian river. It begins in the state of Rondonia and winds for about 400 miles (640 km) until it joins the Aripuana River, which then joins the Madeira River, which joins the Amazon.

Formerly called Rio da Dúvida (“River of Doubt”), the river is named after Theodore Roosevelt, who travelled into the central region of Brazil during the Roosevelt-Rondon Scientific Expedition of 1913. Roosevelt, with Brazil's most famous explorer, Cândido Rondon, explored the "River of Doubt," which Rondon had discovered on a previous expedition. The goal was to determine if the river flowed into the Amazon River, which it did via the Aripuana River. Sections of the river have impassable rapids and waterfalls, which hindered the expedition.

Roosevelt, and his son Kermit Roosevelt, travelled down the river after Teddy's failed attempt running as the "Bull Moose" candidate in 1912 for the office of President of the United States of America. Roosevelt's party was the first non Amazonian-native party to travel and record the "Rio da Duvida." Along with Brazil's most famous explorer, Candido Mariano da Silva Rondon, Roosevelt explored one of the most intimidating tributaries of the Amazon at that time. Rondon (the man known for planting telegraph poles across his native South American country), along with Roosevelt, went on one of the most dangerous journeys that existed in their day. Despite unbelievable hardships they were able to plot one of the longest tributaries of the Amazon.

Teddy Roosevelt later wrote a book on the expedition titled Through the Brazilian Wilderness. The story is also recounted in The River of Doubt by Candice Millard.

After Roosevelt returned there some "doubted" he had actually discovered the river and made the expedition. To settle the dispute, in 1927 American explorer George Miller Dyott led a second trip down the river, confirming Roosevelt's discoveries.[1]

David Lee
02-11-2010, 08:05 AM
Have a safe trip , wear your bug dope , don't pee in the water while wading , don't wade .

D.~

Scott V
02-11-2010, 11:29 AM
I am very jealous of this trip Bill, it is on my to do list for sure. And as David said do not go in the water, they got all kinds of things that like to bite, chew, and crawl inside you. And if you see any big cats try and get some pictures for me. Just leave out some fish carcasses, I am sure they will show up.:D

SLOwag
02-11-2010, 01:17 PM
I am taking a copy of the book "River of Doubt" about Roosevelt's travels in the Amazon.

Why haven't I read this book yet? :confused: Every hunting fishing and 4x4 forum I frequent mentions this book frequently.

Anxiously awaiting pics, been wanting to go down since I saw Jose Wejebe catching peacocks on the fly on his tv show.