PDA

View Full Version : Stan...where was everyone?

ReddHead
02-10-2010, 05:44 PM
Just wanted to say that I hit the Stan last Saturday and didn't see a soul. Which of course is fine with me. The river was high and off color but the fishing was hot so I thought I would let people know. I would recommend fishing the "worm" hatch. Maybe even double rig them! Unorthodox, I think so.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-11-2010, 12:27 AM
Was the season closed? Only kidden.....

ReddHead
02-11-2010, 10:46 AM
Sure felt like it. If anything it was a little creepy.

Monty Montana
02-12-2010, 12:45 PM
Hey Red...if you think Sat. was quiet you should fish it during the week like I do...2/3 times a week (only live 20 minutes for the river) and like you stated it is spooky quiet with no people, but that's just cool with my four footed fish finder and myself.

Monty

Rick_Berry
02-18-2010, 06:17 PM
I was visiting some friends in Manteca and hit the Stan for a few hours this morning just below Goodwin Dam. Water seemed clearer (3'-4' vis), but up a few feet from the last time I fished it. And, yup, NO people. I met a couple of guys floating it in an inflatable kayak, but that was it.

I grabbed and released a fiesty 15" bow off a size 18 red midge at around 9 AM. Went downstream a bit and snapped my rod tip. My backcast grabbed a branch without my knowing it and SNAP! The last section of my rod broke completely in half. It wasn't even a forceful cast. And that was the good and bad of my day. At least Sage will cover it.

Does anyone know their turnaround time for repairs/replacements? Am I looking at under a month or over?

- Rick.

fj40
02-18-2010, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the report! My sage went in last summer and was gone for about 6 weeks. Sorry for your broken tip. Did you have extra rod with you. Problem with the Stan is I am afraid to leave anything extra in the truck for fear of a break in. Dave

Spicytuna1
02-19-2010, 11:00 AM
Was thinking of floatin the river tomorrow from Knights Ferry down. Seems like the fishing is decent but not lights out. Curious if you guys think it would be worth it to float it. I know that the fish should be in there due to it not being rafter season yet. Any advice is always appreciated.

flyman35
02-19-2010, 12:20 PM
according to cdec the river's at 800 cfs at orange blossom....blown out. I would float knights ferry down when the flows at obb are 300 cfs or lower. i floated that stretch about a month ago. water was in decent shape, not a ton of fish though, sadly, as it used to be really great through there. 4 of us each got one, nothing of size though. only saw but noe or two salmon as well...years past it was thick.

Spicytuna1
02-19-2010, 02:51 PM
I am not to worried about the flows. I have had some epic days at 900cfs before. I do have to agree with the "It used to be good down there". I have not had a light out day on that river in a few years, I have been floating it for 11 years now. I hate to say but once the rafters starting going down the river seemed to be less productive that it used to be.

Wow thats a low number on the Salmon. Thats too bad to hear. I spoke to my shuttle person today and she said the river is running pretty clean so that is a plus. We are going head for it and give it a good shot. Last year at this time I landed an 18 1/2" Fin clipped Steelhead which was an interesting find. We got our fingers crossed and will report how we do.

What did you end up landing your fish on when you floated it Flyman? I am hoping for some BWO's.

Weather is calling for only 20% showers now so I got my fingers corssed.

Spicytuna1
02-22-2010, 12:56 PM
Very slow day. Although we were able to raise some fish up to 14" on a mid day BWO hatch. Other than that water was a little off color and the fish were not active. We threw every fly in the box at em. Very slow day. We were still able to find fishable water with flows, but who knows why they didn't cooperate. Might have been the little front we had going on. Anyways gonna wait till it warms up more to fish it again.

Steve Dinardi
02-23-2010, 01:50 PM
We used to float that stretch of river quite often in years past and had the best fishing in March. We used a 16' Alumaweld drift boat and actually preffered the higher water. This was back in the mid to late 80's mind you, and we were definitly old school using type II shooting heads swinging and stripping sparse size 6 Silver Hiltons and Spruce flies. Never thought to use dry flies. The best fish were always over 20 inches but even then you found them only in certain runs. I do recall seeing a few local guys who always were dragging around what we called "weight limits". Those boys were deadly drifting single eggs in the hard to get to spots. May be part of the reason we don't have that great fishery anymore. Have not fished the Stan in several years now but would still try those old proven methods just to see. Have fun out there.

fishdreamer
03-01-2010, 08:27 AM
looking to broaden my horizons and float the lower stan.
new (to me) and i'm needing to line up a shuttle.

i talked a rafting company and they suggested to use a local cab out of oakdale. i would prefer a local shuttle guy or gal. any leads?

ErikB
03-01-2010, 10:29 AM
I would be interested floating the river as well. I have a pontoon boat and trailer and can help with shuttle if interested.