PDA

View Full Version : Commanche South Pond advise needed

TroutNoDoubt
02-09-2010, 10:17 PM
I sold a pontonn boat to a guy last year who bought it for early-year fishing at the South Pond of Commanche. He said there are big trout in the shallows this time of year and that the fishing is great. I assume this is the cove at the south marina.

I'm planning to give it a try and wonder if anyone can give me input BASED ON ACTUAL EXPERIENCE AT COMMANCHE on 1) whether the south pond is good for float tubing/canoe/kayak and 2) any advice on flies and methods for FF for trout this time of year, as well as bass and other species. I'm assuming most trout action will be subsurface with wolly buggers and nymphs on intermediate sinking lines. Seems a bit early for the bass to be active but who knows.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

caniretireyet?
02-10-2010, 09:41 PM
HI, Bob-- The pond a South Camanche refers to a pond with planted trout. It is a separate, small pond, completely different from any part of the lake itself. It is a true put and take fishery, with heavy plants from East Bay MUD. That said, there are some big fish in it. Intermediate lines work best for me, and take your pick of mid sized streamers. Boat access is limited to car top boats, float tubes, pontoons etc. Just north of the trout pond is a bass pond, though in my experience they are quite small. Also, this is a pricey spot to catch planters, since you have to pay a day use fee, a "boat launching fee" even for a float tube, and buy a separate East Bay Mud fishing liscence.

Hope that helps,

Steve

TroutNoDoubt
02-11-2010, 03:42 PM
Thanks Steve. Helps alot. Yeah, I called the south marina and got the low down on the pond(s). I understand the cost issues and agree, but it's a way to do some fishing in the middle of winter... I figure it's worth a shot just to see for myself.

Bob

Jet
02-14-2010, 12:00 PM
We fishing there last Friday and it was a little slow. I was told that Jan/Feb are slow months there and I would have to agree. The water temp was around 45 degrees and the fishing seemed to improve when the sun came out. Normaly the fishing is great in overcast conditions. Smaller buggers in size 10-12 seem to work best. My son caught a 5+lbr on a wiggle tail on our last trip. They are planting a different stain of trout that fight better and look much healthier. They do have a 12' limit on boats in the pond. Fishing should improve any time now.

Good Luck,

Jet

TroutNoDoubt
02-18-2010, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the input. Maybe the recent warm up will help.

Bob