PDA

View Full Version : New CA Heritage Trout Master Angler Award from DFG

Ned Morris
02-09-2010, 12:35 PM
Was contacted by one of the head fisheries biologists at DFG yesterday 2/8. I found out I will be receiving a new award from DFG called the CA Heritage Trout Master Angler Award. This award recognizes CHTC participants that have caught all 11 (12 if you want to count Steelhead) Native Trout found in their native waters of CA. He wouldn't tell me what the award is, but assured me it is pretty darn cool. Will follow up when I get it. There are a couple more of you out there who have also accomplished this. Curious if you were contacted by DFG as well.

Grateful Trout
02-09-2010, 03:55 PM
Hi again Troutdog,

Did you apply via the Fishing Passport requirements? I have two Heritage certificates. I have #65 and #106 (all different illustrations). I have the natives from their historic drainages except for the Paiute. I suppose that keeps me out of the running. I am interested but wonder if I need to pursue or if DFG will contact me. I'm guessing that I didn't get contacted because of the Paiute. Thanks for any further information you recieve. I'll have to email Jeff or Roger. Take it easy. Keep posting for us native trout geeks.

Grateful Trout (aka Scott)

Ned Morris
02-09-2010, 04:50 PM
Jeff just called me and said they are just going through the CHTC archives to see who has caught all 11 (or 12 as I have a Steelhead on my #5 CHTC) Native Trout. Had no clue this even existed with the Heritage Trout Program. With zero Paiute angling opportunities that will certainly prevent almost all CHTC recipients from getting this Master Angler award until further notice. I was EXTREMELY lucky some 15 years ago. However I would contact them both and see what may transpire down the road. I know of one guy who became a "chosen" one fairly recently. That is all I will say. Hope you are well Grateful Trout and PM me. I can give you a little more info.

Hi again Troutdog,

Did you apply via the Fishing Passport requirements? I have two Heritage certificates. I have #65 and #106 (all different illustrations). I have the natives from their historic drainages except for the Paiute. I suppose that keeps me out of the running. I am interested but wonder if I need to pursue or if DFG will contact me. I'm guessing that I didn't get contacted because of the Paiute. Thanks for any further information you recieve. I'll have to email Jeff or Roger. Take it easy. Keep posting for us native trout geeks.

Grateful Trout (aka Scott)

SHigSpeed
02-09-2010, 06:05 PM
How cool is this!?

I hope to apply for my second CHT once my year wait is up to get the complement of 12 distinct (available ones that is minus the Paiute) prints in August.

Better get hoofing on that steelhead soon or I may not get it!

_SHig

jburge
02-10-2010, 08:25 AM
troutdog,

Wow and congratulations! What a privilege.

John

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-10-2010, 08:53 AM
Troutdog1973

Maybe you can get a photo up here of what ever they give you?

That is really fantastic........

jburge
02-10-2010, 02:14 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but another cool thing from DFG...

I got my official HTC hat in the mail today. Way cool! Somehow, I had it in my head (maybe I misread or misheard somewhere) that they weren't giving the hats out any more. Now I gotta get moving on that Master Angler award.

John

Native Trout
02-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Nativer trout anglers,
The Heritage & Wild Trout Program is resuming it’s policy of providing California Heritage Trout Challenge program hats to anglers who qualify for the CHTC. These hats have been shipped-out to anglers who have previously qualified and did not receive a hat (cert #100 and beyond). One difference is that these new hats will not have the cert # on the back (as the first 100 did) and they only get one hat. Anglers qualifying for the Master Angler award will receive a uniquely colored Master Angler CHTC Program hat.

To qualify some previous statements…there are opportunities (legal) to catch Paiute cutthroat trout that would qualify for the CHTC….it would take some research, extensive hiking, and fishing dry flies all day long, but it is possible!!!

Native Trout

SHigSpeed
02-10-2010, 04:04 PM
Woo-hoo! Waiting for my hat...

Gotta run to the mailbox when I get home!

_SHig

andanb
02-10-2010, 07:03 PM
Just got my hat in the mail today. I believe these are different than the ones they used to send out. The others were embroidered with the cert. number. But these are nicer hats...great design and quality.

Grateful Trout
02-10-2010, 07:47 PM
Just got my third heritage trout challenge hat in the mail today. It is the same make and model as the original numbered versions. I have a set of two numbered hats (one blue & one green) and now I have an unnumbered green hat. They are just as nice as the first ones. Woo Hoo!

SHigSpeed
02-10-2010, 08:02 PM
Got mine too! Now, not to complain or anything, but with the current fiscal crisis, I wonder if there was a spend it or lose it that came due? I'd rather pay for more wardens than get a spiffy hat, but that's just me.

Anyone else's hat have an odd "blister" under the brim where the fabric pulls tight? Feels like the bill is padded, but it's just stretched over the curve of the cardboard inside...

_SHig

Ned Morris
02-10-2010, 11:18 PM
They are way beyond my scope of knowledge. Sounds like a gem or two somewhere in an extremely obscure drainage. Keep them a secret Native Trout. Funny DFG states on the CHTC link there are no existing angling opportunities for Paiutes qualifying for the CHTC. Has there been a rule change????

Nativer trout anglers,
The Heritage & Wild Trout Program is resuming it’s policy of providing California Heritage Trout Challenge program hats to anglers who qualify for the CHTC. These hats have been shipped-out to anglers who have previously qualified and did not receive a hat (cert #100 and beyond). One difference is that these new hats will not have the cert # on the back (as the first 100 did) and they only get one hat. Anglers qualifying for the Master Angler award will receive a uniquely colored Master Angler CHTC Program hat.

To qualify some previous statements…there are opportunities (legal) to catch Paiute cutthroat trout that would qualify for the CHTC….it would take some research, extensive hiking, and fishing dry flies all day long, but it is possible!!!

Native Trout

Salvage
02-11-2010, 01:00 PM
Hi All,

Just to clarify, there are a few little known refuge populations outside of its native drainage; some are ilegal to fish but remainder are legal. All of these locations are extremely difficult to get to and none would qualify for the CHTC award (to my knowledge).

P.S. I also got my 3rd cap yesterday; thank you Roger and DFG, it was a very pleasant surprise.

Cheers,
Salvage

Native Trout
02-11-2010, 05:35 PM
Troutdog1973,
Where did you see the reference regarding the quote???

"DFG states on the CHTC link there are no existing angling opportunities for Paiutes qualifying for the CHTC."

SHigSpeed
02-11-2010, 06:11 PM
I too recall reading somewhere that there are no qualifying opportunities to catch PCT, but after some research, I've found that that is not entirely true. They are available, but the chances of getting a qualifying fish are not in the anglers' favor.

I hope to get one this year, but I'm not too keen on the hoofin' I'll need to do! :eek:

_SHig

Ned Morris
02-11-2010, 08:25 PM
That was up on the Paiute Link as recently as 2008 I guess. Seems like SHigSpeed recalls what I saw too. However read on and it may put in perspective:
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fish/Resources/WildTrout/WT_Paiute/WT_PaiuteCutAngling.asp

Not confused at all Native Trout. I pulled this off 10 years before the CHTC even existed.

Troutdog1973,
Where did you see the reference regarding the quote???

"DFG states on the CHTC link there are no existing angling opportunities for Paiutes qualifying for the CHTC."

Salvage
02-12-2010, 12:48 AM
Hi Native Trout and SHigSpeed,

Are you referring to Silver King Creek downstream of the closed fishing sections and hoping to catch a pure strain individual that just happened to be washed down into the legal section?

Cheers,
Salvage

Ned Morris
02-12-2010, 02:02 PM
Buzzkill I don't like baseball hats. Nonetheless, very appreciative of DFG for sending me this. Here's what to look for. Too bad you'll never catch me wearing it! I think my 3 year old already has her heart set on it.

davkrat
02-16-2010, 10:10 PM
Doh my brother and I started on the HTC a few years ago but never officially finished it. Went to Wyoming and did the Cutt Slam on out first 1 week attempt. It's a shame we haven't completed out local challenge. Glad to hear they are issueing hats along with the prints. The Cutt Slam print is really nice.

Ned Morris
06-23-2014, 11:17 AM
This one is for Ed

Ed Wahl
06-23-2014, 10:19 PM
Thanks Ned, that did help.

For the rest of you, 4 years ago I jumped Ned's shit about this thread. I don't remember what I said but apparently I was a real ahole.

Ned, I am so sorry about that.

My motives were sound but my bad behavior is inexcusable.

PM's just don't really feel right so I want to apologize to you out on the board.

I've got a feeling that I'll be receiving more pm's like yours, and I'll publicly apologize to them as they come.