PDA

View Full Version : Tough time....?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-08-2010, 09:29 PM
Well, you know it is tough times out there when you see lots of new or almost new products at half of what they were new and nobody is buying them????

I am still hearing of people loosing their jobs (an homes) and businesses closing down.

Hope things get better in the spring and summer.

john
02-08-2010, 11:04 PM
My "sign of the times" just came. For the better part of 10 years I was getting Bob Marriotts catalog. I think I anticipated that catalog as much as mom anticipated the Sears catalog(no, not for the outhouse). Almost everything in the FF business was there. I think I bought a fair amount, but it was an absolute reference-cost, quantity. Anyway, I had a change in marital status and email'd them to make sure the catalog got to me. Got a very prompt/polite response. Catalog is no more.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-09-2010, 11:38 AM
I heard some other shops are not doing a catalog now too.

Some have opted for the online store only now.

Printing and postage has probably gotten too high.

PS: My other signs were that two of our favorite restaurants have closed.....

DA
02-09-2010, 03:00 PM
I saw this on Google news today.

http://www.physorg.com/news184310039.html

It says it makes some cleaning products obsolete, which one would suppose means more lost jobs. Maybe it could prolong the life of fly lines, painted surfaces and who knows what else.

c1eddy
02-10-2010, 03:03 AM
Bill, I'm no economics wizard ...but here is my 2 cents:
Short-term, can't help but believe that the key lies in manufacturing/producing goods that are sell-able to the rest of the world. I think it will occur, eventually, but not until the cost to produce them here in the US gets more in line with costs in other parts of the world. While I believe that's already something that's in motion, it's going to take some time to really come about. The bummer of it is...in my mind anyway...that it probably will leave us with a lower standard of living than we have enjoyed in the past (much of it based on an apparently imaginary, continual rise in the value of our homes). But lets face it...we have lost a butt-load of manufacturing jobs to countries who can produce the goods cheaper than we can.
Longer-term, I believe two aces we hold are our ability to produce food and our ability to innovate, to come up with new, cutting edge ideas and technologies. These might be enough to help keep our head above water and eventually thrive once more.
It is a gut-wrenching time for many. Though my wife and I have been spared to date, we both see our employers cutting away at their payrolls. This leads us to not spend so freely as we used to. My heart goes out to those who have been victimized by this miserable economy. I'm concerned for my four children (16-21yrs.) and what their job prospects will look like. The one thing that scares me most is that too many will keep looking to government to fix this. I don't have much confidence in that happening. That leaves ordinary citizens and employees...small business owners and corporations to do the job.
That's the view and ramble from here, for what it is worth.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-10-2010, 08:49 AM
Thanks c1eddy for taking the time to say what you feel about this crazy situation we are in.

I have a lot of faith in the people of the good old USA and hope that with all their ability we can get the economy back on tract.

john
02-10-2010, 09:54 AM
I think c1eddy said something that's very true, and widespread. That is, there are many folks and businesses not directly or severely impacted(yet). But, they see those that are, and read the media reports. The result is, that they too, cutback. That makes a tough situation even tougher.

Darrin.Deel
02-10-2010, 10:18 AM
the fly shop only sent me one catalog this year, usually they send me 3 or 4...

c1eddy
02-10-2010, 07:58 PM
I think c1eddy said something that's very true, and widespread. That is, there are many folks and businesses not directly or severely impacted(yet). But, they see those that are, and read the media reports. The result is, that they too, cutback. That makes a tough situation even tougher.
That's a valid point, John. Those of us that are still doing ok or better can certainly help get the economy moving by cutting loose and purchasing some stuffs...particularly US made goods.

snakeater
02-10-2010, 08:03 PM
my business is material handling- we deal with goods from manufacture to delivery- i can say that in my area-the overall market is off 60% there are a few areas not hit as hard such as food, beverage and medical but the rest is off alot- this is very unusual and will take a long time to recover- this is the largest hit to our market since we started business in 1977- take care

LNelson
02-11-2010, 03:08 AM
While the intentions of this strand are noble, and I appreciate Bill's pointing out that there are a bunch of outstanding ads right now with more than reasonable asking, every time time someone responds it pushes another's ad to sell something onto "page 2" where is is less likely to be seen.:crybaby: