PDA

View Full Version : Kicking it Around

Jay Murakoshi
02-08-2010, 09:00 PM
I've been kicking around an idea for a couple weeks. I'm looking for a way to raise money for the either the orphanage in La Paz or the Old Folks Home. A few years back, we (Ken & I) had a fishing tournament and raised quite a bit of money. Actually we had two tournaments. Then we had a dinner at the old Las Arenas Resort to present the monies to the Mother Superior and the nuns. They even brought some of the kids out for the dinner. We also gave them school supplies, candy, games, etc. Then I think the following year we had another tournament and had a dinner at the restaurant in the hotel.

But this time, I'm thinking of just having a drawing with a few prizes to be given away. I know in this economy, it will be hard companies to donate. I know it's not to save fish but hopefully it would benefit the lives of the less fortunate.

Here's one of the prizes that I'm kicking around... I would donate a 7 night 6 days including the shuttle ride and lunch ($1,550.00 value) All the winner would be responsible for would be the airfare, tips, bait, drinks. I'm looking at the tickets to be sold at $20.00 each with no limit on the number of tickets that can be purchased.
I would start the sales around July and end around the first of the year. This way who ever wins would have time to make airline reservations and work out there schedule

What's you thought? Just kicking it around at the time.

Thanks for taking your time to read this... Come talk to me at the Pleasanton show

Jay

koffler
02-08-2010, 10:29 PM
It's not much but I'd buy two - I'd cross my fingers hoping for the best. If I don't win, at least they do. Let me know -

john
02-08-2010, 10:50 PM
Jay, I think your thoughts/ideas are great. Fishers spend a goodly amount to fish the area. But to be fair, we sample the local cuisine/atmosphere, we see things we've never seen before, we catch fish unavailable in most of our home waters, then we go home, and glow about it like it was paradise lost. We've got pics and videos to prove it. We take so much much, leave so little. Maybe a small opportunity to give back.

Darian
02-09-2010, 01:02 AM
Hi Jay,.... Great idea and the prize would be well worth the investment. :D I'd certainly be willing to provide assistance and participate. 8)

k.hanley
02-09-2010, 04:08 PM
Our two tournament fundraisers and bonus school supplies definately made a difference. We were introduced to the children who got the direct benefits. Spent time with them and the Nuns. Amazing experience. I still count it as one of the best things I've ever been involved with. We saw the machine repairs made with our funds, the health visits covered with our funds (basic doctor's visit with each child), and the huge smiles & hugs said it all.

If you can take a moment and participate (on any level with gifts and/or cash) it won't be wasted on administration boondoggles. When Jay and I ran the events -- 100% went to the kids. I'm sure that Jay intends to keep that standard alive.
Cheers, Ken

FISHEYE
02-09-2010, 11:50 PM
Jay, I'd buy tickets and probably donate some Haber sunglasses or maybe even something here in Alaska. Phil