PDA

View Full Version : Kids need fly tying materials......

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-08-2010, 09:12 AM
A good friend of mine, Barbara, is a local grammar school teacher who is doing the "trout in the classroom" with her 6th graders.

http://www.troutintheclassroom.org/

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

She has funding for fly tying tools for the students too but needs some tying supplies, donated if possible.

I am getting her 17 sets of tying tools at our cost to help out.

These tools will be also get double use as she and her husband are also going to teach fly tying to the Boy Scouts locally.

__________________________________________________ ________________________

She needs materials for Woolly Buggers:

Spools of medium size thread

Marabou for tails

Chenille for bodies

Wire for ribbing

Hackle for palmering

Lager size 2 to 6 hooks in 2 to 3X long

__________________________________________________ ________________________

If you can spare any of this it will help.

If you want to make a small cash donating that will help too.

We will be selling her materials at our cost too.

PS: You can drop any donations off at the shop and we will get them to her.

Thanks

Jay Murakoshi
02-08-2010, 09:55 AM
Bill,

How big a box can you carry. I have a **** load of materials that I'm trying to get rid of.
I have skeins of chennile, lot's of marabou, a bunch of rooster saddles and even some strung (long saddle hackle) maybe some smaller size threads - I think I still have cones of Nymo in black 3/0, brown 3/0, I'll check on that.
I might have a couple spare vises, some scissors, etc....

I'll try and get it packed up.

Come on board members, you want the younger generation to carry on the sport, here's your chance to help.

Jay

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-08-2010, 10:02 AM
Great Jay

You might be the "angel" we are looking for.

That would be so cool.....

Barbara will be thrilled.

Jay Murakoshi
02-08-2010, 12:51 PM
Bill

I'm putting together a box and have a couple questions. I've got some rooster saddles in there great for wooly buggers. Lot's of chennile, hopefully the colors will work - white, yellow, grey, black. Most are in skeins so they will have to roll them into a ball. Teach them how to do that, so they won't have a big mess. Barbara should know how to do this, if she's done any knitting.
Do you think they will use any small neck hackles. I have a lot of grizzly necks where i only use the big hackles and cut off the low or what some call the upper section of the neck.
I'm sure there are hackles in there good enough for dry fly's. I know in years past I use to give these to guys who tied Silver Hilton's great wing hackles. But it seems like no one uses those patterns anymore.
I'll be looking for some marabou, dubbing, thread and maybe Nor-vise. You can teach them how to tie a wooly bugger real fast.

Are you coming the pleasanton show

Jay

Jay Murakoshi
02-08-2010, 01:00 PM
Bill,

I have spools of Nymo thread in Black Size A and Red in Size 000. I also have Blue A Nymo. Don't know but this might be too large

Jay

Jay Murakoshi
02-08-2010, 04:39 PM
Bill,

My package is on it's way. You should receive it in a couple days

Jay

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-09-2010, 10:18 PM
Got the package today Jay.

Thanks a bunch.........

We will have to put up some photos from the kids.