PDA

View Full Version : Top ten flies in your fly box...

cdm
02-06-2010, 08:21 PM
I'm a beginner and want to get back into fly fishing this year. I'll be going for a 9' , 5wt, 4 pc.

What do you guys have as the go to flies in your fly box?

thanks

Hairstacker
02-06-2010, 09:41 PM
cdm, welcome aboard!!

For me, it depends on what I'm chasing -- did you have a specific fish species in mind?

Dave Neal
02-06-2010, 10:47 PM
Ahhh, the innocuous question with unlimited variables...

My go-to trout flies are pretty specific to our local area. They'll hook trout anywhere, for sure, but if I had to hook trout anywhere? I would stick to the old classics and basics.

Let's go with 5 nymphs, and 5 dry flies:

Nymphs/wet flies:
Pheasant Tail
Prince Nymph
LaFontaine's Caddis Emerger
Zebra Midge
Black Wooly Bugger

Dry flies:
Stimulator
EC Caddis
Parachute Adams
Regular ol' Adams
Parachute Hopper

So there's my 10 flies. Of course, I would absolutely want them all - in 4 different sizes, and in several different colors, a few with bead heads, a few without bead heads, some with flash, some without. . .

cdm
02-06-2010, 10:58 PM
thanks Dave and Mike,

I want to concentrate on the local streams and lakes around Sacramento, probably try to stay on the 50 and 80 corridor.

Years ago, my buddy and I would venture to the Eastern sierra. I finally just bought my license after a 3 year hiatus. Can't believe I deprived myself of this pasttime and hooby.

Keep the lists coming!

Dave Neal
02-06-2010, 11:07 PM
CDM, stop by Kiene's and have them show you some ideas for those particular waters. If they still have a fly tying class, consider taking it at some point. At first you won't save any money tying them yourself, hahahaha, but the freedom of tying whatever you need is worth it.

You are in for some fun and good times.

TaylerW
02-07-2010, 02:02 AM
my top 10
1. foam black and size 14
2. any size stimulator
3. pheasant tail
4. copper jon
5. micro may
6. birds nest
7. hairs ear
8. crippler
9. adams
10. pegged bead (yea i said pegged bead all the haters can try to catch fish glowbugs and kill the trout)

caniretireyet?
02-07-2010, 09:17 AM
Hi, CDM. Congatulations for asking a question that will likely turn into a six month controversy in Kieneland! I would suggest checking out Ralph and Lisa Cutter's website, as well as Steven Ojai's website. They give some specific reccomendations for specific waters.

This itself leads to two observations about the controversy you've incited. First, we have the battle between the presentation folks and the hatchmatchers. My suggestion would be that as a returning fly fisher, you model you efforts on the first. I say this because most of us have found ourselves on water with a great hatch going on, and despite all our preparation, not had what we needed in our boxes. This school of thought, like the proverbial government work and nuclear warfare, means that "close enough" will work, provided the fly is presented properly and with no drift. The Cutter's website and other books can give you more on this. Remember, size and rough appearance matter most here. You could stock a box with less than ten flies, but in a variety of sizes and do well.

Then we have the hatchmatchers, who have perfected tying flies that look real enough to fool most high school biology teachers, and a ton of trout. In practice, until you start tying, assuming you do, pitching a ten in the hatchmatching camp will be a very expensive undertaking. What am I saying? Becoming a fly tyer in the hatchmatching camp will cost a fortune too! If you don't believe it, I'll invite you over to our house when my wife finds my receipts from materials. (For more, we can talk about the fine points of assuaging spousal guilt when I pull over for road kill with a glimmer in my eye.)

For a lot of fun, consider one of the lessons behind the either loved or reviled "one fly" constests. There is a certain zen to that. I'd say start with two to three dries and two to three nypmphs, in a range of sizes, and perfect your presentation. Beyond that, become or befriend a bird hunter, develop an eagle eye for road kill, and explore Kiene's dynamite tying supplies.

Cheers,
Steve

Frank.S
02-07-2010, 09:18 AM
1. Purple wiggle tail
2. Black wiggle tail
3. Burgundy and black wiggle tail
4. Burnt Orange wiggle tail
5. Burnt orange and olive wiggle tail
6. Chartreuse wiggle tail
7. Olive wiggle tail
8. Peacock and dark olive wiggle tail
9. Fluorescent orange and leech brown wiggle tail
10.Rust colored wiggle tail
Uhm I guess I like the wiggle tail:D

stevie steelhead
02-07-2010, 11:47 AM
As I watch the logs floating down the Trinity, big and brown and movin...
1. Bead headed silver hilton
2. Bead headed assassin
3. Bead headed mossback
4. Herniator
5. Green butt skunk
6. Poxyback golden stone(bead headed)
7. Red copper john
8. Glow bug egg
9. Twenty Incher
10. October caddis puppa

David Lee
02-07-2010, 11:53 AM
Depending on what you're chasin' ..... many different things will work .

Here's a short list of NO FAIL bugs -

1/0 White Deciever

#6 Beadhead Olive crystal Bugger

#10 Olive Birdnest

#16 Pheasant Tail Nymph

#2 Chart/White Clouser Deep Minnow

Out of all the Trout/Steelhead/Salmon I have taken on Glo-Bugs over the past 30?? years(spinning and fly gear) .... not a single one has taken the fly deep . Go figure .....

David

ted1
02-07-2010, 12:59 PM
Don't try the sz 10 birdsnest for sunfish or bass, It doesn't work very well...........

GreggH
02-07-2010, 01:31 PM
Delta Box. Try it you'll like it.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb236/greggh_fish/DSC00717.jpghttp://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb236/greggh_fish/DSC00657.jpghttp://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb236/greggh_fish/DSC00740-1.jpghttp://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb236/greggh_fish/DSC00898.jpghttp://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb236/greggh_fish/DSC00910.jpg

Pound
02-08-2010, 02:23 PM
I like both Little's and Dave's list, but I would have to add rubberlegs to the mix... just not sure which fly I would remove to do so.

huntindog
02-08-2010, 03:07 PM
1. 16 BH pheasant tail
2. 16 prince nymph
3. 14 red humpy
4. 14 stimulator
5. 16 Fox’s poopah
6. 10 thin mint
7. 18 micro may
8. 14 elk hair caddis
9. 16 adams
10. 14 royal wulff

michaeln
02-08-2010, 03:22 PM
I know Jay Fair's Wiggle Tails are very popular and likely very effective, but they sure look to me like a Short Strike Special with the long tail and the short shank hook.

Bjorn
02-08-2010, 04:15 PM
Here are my favs.
PT
Flash Back Bead Head PT
Eng Theng
Ugly Bug
Fox Poopah
Zebra Midge
Mercer Epoxy Golden Stone
Copper John

For dries...
Adams
Parachute Adams
Royal Wulff
Humpy
Blue Winged Olive
Pale Morning Dun
Elk Hair Caddis
Stimi

Scott V
02-08-2010, 04:15 PM
In no particular order

1.) Olive wiggle tail - that I tie
2.) Frog snot - a type of streamer that I tie
3.) dahlberg divers - too lazy to tie so I just buy Murakoshi's
4.) orange foam popper for bluegills and bass - that I tie
5.) stimulators with rubber legs, I like them big about a size 12 for any and all streams, I do not tie because a half dozen will last me forever
6.) Eggonator for stripers - tied by Paul Egan

I have really narrowed down what I carry, even thought I bring alot of other stuff, but that is my go to list.

Frank R. Pisciotta
02-18-2010, 02:09 PM
All good advice on the top ten flies.

For another take relative to CANIRETIREYET's intro of the presentation vs. match-the-hatch school. First, keep in mind that neither school is mutually exclusive; they are interdependent of each other. Secondly, where you initially decide what fly to select is determined by the relative velosity (flow/non-flow) of the water.

For my take on this subject; go to www.westfly.com. Click-on articles on the homepage menu, then my last name, PISCIOTTA, in the author's name box. Finally select the article entitled "What Gingrich & Clinton Taught Me About Flies".

Frank R. Pisciotta

timmosazz
02-19-2010, 10:09 AM
Dries
Griffens gnat
Parachute ant
Parachute addams

Nymps
Birds nest
Hairs ear
Foxes pupa

This is in every fly box I have that has anything to do with trout fishing. I would suggest each of these flys in a varity of sizes and colors. Also with bead head and without. Go to colors #1 olive, brown, black, peacock.

If you start tying your own you can make all kinds of varriations. Have fun.

Darian
02-19-2010, 11:03 AM
I kinda like Gregg H.'s box and the flies.... :unibrow: :unibrow:

Lance Gray
02-19-2010, 11:16 AM
I only have three reel picks for trout on streams.
Adams Parachute Size 14-16
Trina's PT Size 16
Brid's Nest Olive Size 14

That is all you need,

Lance
http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

Troutstalker55B
02-19-2010, 08:43 PM
Dries:
-X-Caddis
-mayfly cripple
-foam hopper