PDA

View Full Version : How do I use icewing?

jhalden
02-06-2010, 12:41 PM
I had bought some ice wing in lavender by hareline dubbin about a year ago because I thought it looked like a cool material but I have yet to find a good use for it. I have tried tying it in as a flashback on nymphs but I found other materials I like to use for that now. The way it is packaged and stuck together makes it difficult for me to use. Could anybody suggest some uses for ice wing or suggest how to make it easier to use? :???: Thank you!

SteveP
03-09-2010, 11:14 PM
You can use it several ways.... but the easiest way I have found is this.

Well shoot I had a good you tube link for you and now I can't find it, but all that being said I do have a few pictures and can tell you it is SUPER easy to tie with once you learn to handle it.

What you want is a decent sized hook to start off with, start your thread about a quarter of the way back from the eye, tie in a clump of fairly stiff synthetic hair of some kind, I use unique hair on top of the shank (small clump not very big at all) once secured well lightly brush with CA glue to stiffen more but don't coat the whole thing just a little to hold it straight really well. Now move the thread back up to where you started it and tie a clump of ice wing on the bottom of the shank in the middle of the clump, with just a couple wraps. Now tie in a clump on the top the same way but secure both pieces well. Now pull the ice wing back keeping the top and bottom separate and move the thread in front of the ice wing and build a small bump...... whip finish and add a couple eyes on either side. Good bait fish pattern in a ton of cool colors.

Now I know that sounds really difficult but I have been tying them for the shop and knock them out a couple dozen at a time and can do a dozen or so in about 45 minutes or so if I don't get distracted.

Here are the pics I promised.

Hope that helps a bit.

Steve

SteveP
03-10-2010, 05:27 PM
So I had to try one more time and found it again.... finally. SO here is the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRXIa4K3U0s

Steve