PDA

View Full Version : sink tip question

Gene S
02-05-2010, 08:43 PM
Any suggestions on sink tips for Beulah 7/8 switch with the Tonic head. I've been using 8' and 10' T-11's for 3" intruders. Would like to go deeper and/or use bigger bugs. Not sure if I'm at my limit with this rod. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

WinterrunRon
02-06-2010, 02:03 AM
7/8 wt, T-11 & Tonic line. Deeper? Bigger bugs? Where are you fishing that that you need deeper and bigger bugs than 3"? :-k Sorry, can't help to answer your question, just curious.

Gene S
02-06-2010, 09:48 AM
Smith River, Ca........some deeper runs with quick water and nice buckets.

Rick J
02-06-2010, 04:47 PM
Which tonic do you have? I would not hesitate to use T-14 in 12 to 15 feet and even T-17 in lengths of 12 on a 7/8 wt 2-handed rod

WinterrunRon
02-06-2010, 07:37 PM
I know that river well. Spend many a days on it from Patrick's Creek to Ruby. Yup, lots of deep runs, big holes, you name it, that river has it.

You're probably right, you'll need to get down to be effective. I don't know anyone that has had much success with getting those fish to take a fly over the years. Not sure why they are not keen on taking a fly. Don't let this disuade you, I'd just be interested in hearing how you did after you go. Have you fished it with a swung fly before?

I've always threatend to fish the Chetco with my two-hander. Miles of easy water to fish there. Maybe this year, I'll make it up.

Gene S
02-06-2010, 10:24 PM
I'm using a 410 Tonic on my 10' 6 switch, great skagit most of the time. Will toss some 12' T-14 and see how it goes, if needed I can always try a heavier head and see how this rod handles it.

Amen. The Smith is a tough humbling river to fish on a swung fly. Have had limited success on the S fork and above Gasquet since the 80's. The scenery keeps me coming back year after year. The Chetco's a whole lot different. Have friends that have fished the lower river in Dec with sh rods and done well.

Rick J
02-07-2010, 11:35 AM
That set up could be on the light end for casting the heavier tips - you want your head to weight more per foot than the tip material. Check out the post below from the Spey Pages - Bob's method of going short and heavy likely is a good one for the deep slots - the longer lines just get bellied up by the upwelling currents in the slots - although i am not an indie fan, a long leader and heavier fly on a floating line tumble bugged through the runs can be effective much like some of the fast slots up on the North Umpqua. In the lower Smith River, there are a number of runs more conducive to typical swing methods

http://speypages.com/speyclave/showthread.php?t=38490&highlight=smith+river+flies

Gene S
02-07-2010, 01:57 PM
Thanks RJ, do appreciate the info and link.