PDA

View Full Version : The Governor opens a new front in his war on our fisheries..

Mike McKenzie
02-05-2010, 08:39 PM
Radio ad pushes for new infrastructure
By David Schurr

February 4, 2010 -- Sacramento -- The Governor’s rhetoric begins. Today a new radio ad emerged on local station KFBK stating that recent rains will not get us out of a two year drought, and new water infrastructure needs to be built to serve 38 million Californians. The ad goes on to say the current water system was designed to provide water for only 18 million Californians, half of today's population, while a new needed water infrastructure will save the delta, provide water for farms and insure a safe water supply. This sales pitch for the water bond is disguised as a public service announcement, brought to you by RebuildCa.Org and paid for by the California Alliance for jobs.

What is left out is the fact that the drought is being brought to you by the Dept. of Water Resources and Bureau of Reclamation's mismanagement through over allocation and excessive pumping during the drought's first two years. It also doesn't explain that domestic water use accounts for only 20% of the water which is exported from the delta and that increased pumping is causing the Delta’s decline.

Stating that the entire future of California depends on new water infrastructure is preposterous. I called the radio station and asked them to remove the dishonest ads at once. They said they would if enough people called in and complained.

Make your voice heard! Call 916-929-5325 or
e-mail alaneisenson@clearchannel.com and put "KFBK Comment" in the subject line.

Mike

Darian
02-06-2010, 12:10 AM
Thanks for the heads up on this. I sent an E-mail.... :nod:

ps. The text of the note follows:

"Hello,.... My name is Darian Calhoun. With respect, I'm asking that the advert run on your radio station (KFBK) by the California Job Alliance be removed from your on-air advert listings for the following reasons:

It presents an inaccurate picture of the cause of Delta fish population declines. The major contributor is excessive pumping as pointed out by federal court judge, Oliver Wanger in his decision last year.

It gives no or incomplete discussion about risks of the massive, unfunded, long term cost to the state for the project. While I support investment in infrastructure as a means to create jobs, going further into debt at this point in time just complicates the states already low credit rating and lack of current revenues to service that increased debt.

Thank you for your consideration,

Darian Calhoun"

Interesting advert. It really doesn't say anything untruthful but paints an overly optimistic picture of the project, ties the issues to the jobless situation and omits any references to problem areas. Good example of spin....