PDA

View Full Version : My latest muse and new TFO rod

coolrivertx
02-05-2010, 10:32 AM
For all of you small fish/small stream aficionados, I would like to share with you Temple Fork's cool new rod. Based on their Signature Series 6' 2# fly rod, TFO added a full cork grip and slip rings. Now you can fish it as a fly rod, or add an ultralight spinning reel! This latest development will allow you to fish those overgrown, over hanging "tunnel" creeks and streams with relative ease. Also, the deepest mountain lakes are all now fishable, utilizing thin 6x or even 7x tippet material as your spinning line. Let your imagination run rampant with the possibilities! In my conversations with Bill, he remembers (barely - grin) the early, short lived days of ultralight spin fishing. Lefty Kreh, Flip Pallot, Dave Whitlock and countless others are all practitioners of UL fishing. Enjoy! Oh yeah, Bill can probably order this rod for you, if you want one.
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g282/BHumphries/TFOspinfly.jpg

cgeiser
02-06-2010, 03:16 PM
That's a pretty cool rod coolrivertx! I didn't know anyone made something like that, and that's why I'm building one for myself. I'm using a 3wt 6'6" blank with a Tennessee handle with almost the same burl cork inserts. Crazy! I wanted a small pack rod to take on hikes in the Sierras and something that could be used for spinners when I feel the need or when a friend that doesn't flyfish wants to give it a try.

coolrivertx
02-06-2010, 03:36 PM
Thanks. It took about a year to convince TFO to build this. It was a pretty logical step for them, since they already had the fly rod blank, and also manufactured spin rods. Before, we were using St. Croix Avid 6' 2#, or the Sage SLT/TXL 6'3" 3#, blanks. Have fun with your new rod! Add a light spin reel (Shimano Sedona 500) with 2# Trilene, and you have the best of both worlds!

Fats
03-14-2010, 10:31 AM
I've got an old pack rod that had the long cork handle that would allow spinning or fly casting. What type of guides are on the rod? The small front guide of fly rod isn't ideal for spinning reels but it makes for a very pack rod for the back country...