PDA

View Full Version : Small light weight travel trailers

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-05-2010, 10:30 AM
http://www.johnweeks.com/random/campers/

I thought this was an interesting web site that has compiled lots of ultra-lite trailers.

**These are small trailers you could tow with a small SUV, mini-van or small pickup.

Dave Neal
02-05-2010, 09:42 PM
Very, very, cool... thanks for sharing this, Bill.

I have been on the lookout for a small trailer I can pull with my new Tundra 4.6L. Thought I would be limited to "tent trailers".

pvsprme
02-06-2010, 07:09 AM
Very, very, cool... thanks for sharing this, Bill.
I have been on the lookout for a small trailer I can pull with my new Tundra 4.6L. Thought I would be limited to "tent trailers".

These are some very cool units. My wife is developing intomy best fishing partner as we approach retirement. With her along, a full bath is a requirement. She doesn't ask for much, so I aquiesed.

Dave, I looked long and hard, rented several sizes before I settled on a 22H by Arctic Fox (Nash). I pull with an 04 GMC 1500 Z71. It's as big as I want to pull at 5000 lbs dry weight with a 3.4 KW propane generator built-in. Yet it pulls very nicely, drove it back from Lewiston in 40-50 mph headwinds January 19th, no sway at all. We often camp at unimproved (dry) sites, so fresh water and holding tank capacity was important.
I think you could pull a 17C or the 19 very easily with your Tundra. The Nash/AF line is known for quality. The only mfgr that won't void warranty for off-road towing. I like the 40 gallon heated holding tanks, good insulation and large bathrooms. Many of the small trailers have very small (25-30 gallon) holding tanks. Not so important to the guys, but when you take the wife & kids along.............
http://www.northwoodmfg.com/nash/

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-06-2010, 09:10 AM
These are some very cool units. My wife is developing intomy best fishing partner as we approach retirement. With her along, a full bath is a requirement. She doesn't ask for much, so I aquiesed.

Dave, I looked long and hard, rented several sizes before I settled on a 22H by Arctic Fox (Nash). I pull with an 04 GMC 1500 Z71. It's as big as I want to pull at 5000 lbs dry weight with a 3.4 KW propane generator built-in. Yet it pulls very nicely, drove it back from Lewiston in 40-50 mph headwinds January 19th, no sway at all. We often camp at unimproved (dry) sites, so fresh water and holding tank capacity was important.
I think you could pull a 17C or the 19 very easily with your Tundra. The Nash/AF line is known for quality. The only mfgr that won't void warranty for off-road towing. I like the 40 gallon heated holding tanks, good insulation and large bathrooms. Many of the small trailers have very small (25-30 gallon) holding tanks. Not so important to the guys, but when you take the wife & kids along.............
http://www.northwoodmfg.com/nash/

Trail Lite is another good brand of medium size lightweight travel trailers. Be sure to look at their web site.

Dave Neal
02-06-2010, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the info, Robert. It's probably a ways off before I can spring for one of these, but a man can dream?

I didn't even know these trailers existed before this thread...

Bruce Slightom
02-07-2010, 12:17 PM
Bill, nice information. I had a Casita as a starter unit and enjoyed it. We have recently up graded to the Escape, which is made in Canada. It tows very well with the Tundra. One thing that I liked about the Escape is that they basically custom built to your specifications. They only build about 400 a year.