PDA

View Full Version : Sailor Bar Salmon Chasing

Buddy
02-02-2010, 09:45 AM
Don't know who this is, but it was taken at the top of the big island.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-02-2010, 10:47 AM
Not a "Half=pounder".........

Terry Thomas
02-02-2010, 08:28 PM
Cal Tip?
I keep the number in my cell phone and have called in a couple of times. They have been good about getting back to me to try and correct the problems.
1-888-334-2258

chapmag
02-03-2010, 02:54 PM
I had the misfortune of hooking a salmon while fishing for steelhead on the Feather River last fall. I was targeting steelhead at the riffle by the cement plant.

Once I hooked it I had to land it. I tried to break it off, but 12# Maxima (for the big steelhead I'd hoped to hook) and the spey hooks by design don't give up easily.

I got a nasty note from another fisherman who saw this and accused me of breaking the law and targeting salmon.

Besides just not fishing when there are salmon in the river, how do you keep from hooking them while steelheading? Thanks.

Ned Morris
02-04-2010, 01:35 PM
Not cool at all.

Don't know who this is, but it was taken at the top of the big island.

Scott V
02-04-2010, 03:13 PM
I had the misfortune of hooking a salmon while fishing for steelhead on the Feather River last fall. I was targeting steelhead at the riffle by the cement plant.

Once I hooked it I had to land it. I tried to break it off, but 12# Maxima (for the big steelhead I'd hoped to hook) and the spey hooks by design don't give up easily.

I got a nasty note from another fisherman who saw this and accused me of breaking the law and targeting salmon.

Besides just not fishing when there are salmon in the river, how do you keep from hooking them while steelheading? Thanks.

What you wrote is what makes me upset about people jumping to conclusions. Imagine if someone called Cal Tip and an officer came out and gave you a hard time and possibly arrested you for something that you did not do on purpose. You would have to prove that what you did was correct and not wrong, just like the guy in the picture above. I hope I never hook into a salmon, because I would hate to get put down by people on a board for something I did not try to do.

OceanSunfish
02-04-2010, 03:45 PM
What you wrote is what makes me upset about people jumping to conclusions. Imagine if someone called Cal Tip and an officer came out and gave you a hard time and possibly arrested you for something that you did not do on purpose. You would have to prove that what you did was correct and not wrong, just like the guy in the picture above. I hope I never hook into a salmon, because I would hate to get put down by people on a board for something I did not try to do.

I agree.

Honestly, posting this picture and implying some sort of illicit activity without getting all the facts, is kind of slanderous.

DFrink
02-04-2010, 04:15 PM

Seriously, sometimes people get a little high and mighty on this board (Not complaing about the board because I really like it and the people here have always been very helpful). I try not to say anything, but sometimes it just gets old.

Ed Wahl
02-04-2010, 08:27 PM
You last three were reading my mind. That could be just one frame of an innocent incident.

Ed

speyfool
02-05-2010, 10:06 AM
I'd have to agree. Who knows if he accidentally caught him and couldn't break it off.

Although, I sometimes wonder why people bring a fish up in what looks like a few inches of water instead of landing them somewhere better. I hate seeing what is supposed to be a released fish bouncing around on the rocks or a few inches of water.

But again, I don't know what took place before this to cause the fish to be there. Wasn't there to witness it. Maybe the fish ran itself aground in the shallow riffles.

WinterrunRon
02-06-2010, 09:26 PM

I hooked one last week swinging a fly. I let it nearly come to rest out of the current and into holding water behing and obstruction in the river where I hoped Mr. Steelhead was laying. A salmon was apparently laying there instead. I innocently snagged it (jumped out of the river several times, this is how you know you snagged it, they won't jump if hooked in the mouth).

I don't know how you can keep from hooking them, but I never fish a tippet stronger than 8lb Maxima on the American. Strong enough that I've never lost a fish by breakage, weak enough that a quick pull on a taunt line will break it. That's been my answer to this issue and it has worked for me more than once.

BTW, I only use 12lb Maxima to winch up my drift boat! That stuff is incredibly STRONG!

Mike R
02-12-2010, 11:47 AM
In AK, we would foul hook so many sockeye that I would start the day out with a 100 pack of bead hooks and hope that my 2 clients would have enough to finish the day. I was retying all day....what got annoying was when they wanted to fight the sockeye because allthe bows and dollies were getting boring.

When the salmon used to be thick on the Feather (think 2002), we would accidentally snag several salmon every day. Just point the rod at the fish, hold tight, and get ready to retie. So, seeing one guy hook a salmon ain't that big of a deal.

Mike

Buddy
02-12-2010, 06:33 PM
Hey guys,
When I posted this picture, I wasn't implying that the guy was targeting salmon. I just liked the photo for the photo's sake. I don't know too many people that would purposely try and catch a yogurt head salmon.

Jgoding
02-15-2010, 04:44 PM
Hey I don't know, nothing wrong with taking your salmon for a walk every now and then....

wjorg
02-25-2010, 04:19 PM
You would think by then....that he would have known what it was, and have broken it off. I've never had a fair hooked salmon do cartwheels in the gravel within the first minute of the fight....

Mr. Striper
04-29-2010, 09:32 AM
Good thing he wasent taking a leak, someone might of thought he was flashing people.

DFrink
04-29-2010, 10:16 AM
Good thing he wasent taking a leak, someone might of thought he was flashing people.

That's funny!=D>

flyfish707
05-01-2010, 12:56 AM
time to go fishing!

inclinejj
05-01-2010, 06:05 AM
Considering the amount of spawned out nasty white salmon I have seen people bringing home on the River, noting really surprises me any more.

Probably one of the 125 guys bombing the stripers last summer all huddled into one spot.