PDA

View Full Version : Collection Bin for Discarded Fishing Line

OceanSunfish
02-01-2010, 11:26 PM
http://www.boatus.com/foundation/Monofilament/

The link above has instructions on how to build a pretty effectual fishing line collection bin that are placed at popular fishing sites to promote the proper disposal of fishing line.

Perhaps this is something that would be a welcome site along the American River?

The would make a good project for a club or person looking to accomplish community service, etc.

Thanks.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-02-2010, 12:10 AM
I would guess that 90% of all discarded monofilament in and around the water ways is from spin fishers.

Spinning reels twist up the line and then it goes wildly twisting and balling up until the angler has to pull off part of it to get down to the stuff that is not twisted.

Some will pull it all off and replace it on the water too.

I am sure that most fly fishers leave very little mono at streamside.

I have seen these recycle containers in Florida and see no reason we can't get them installed around our favorite fishing places.

I wonder if our local park or DF&G agencies have any of these in our area.

Tracy Chimenti
02-02-2010, 12:52 AM
The family took a walk down behind the hatchery a few weeks ago and there is one there, close to the hatchery discharge, up on the trail... a little up-river from the guy that was harassing the spent downstreamers! YUK!

Darian
02-02-2010, 11:15 AM
I'd suggest that everyone use the trash barrels placed at some points along the river but, frequently, the county doesn't pick it up.... Another budget issue.... :confused:

OceanSunfish
02-02-2010, 11:44 AM
These bins would probably be more effective in bringing awareness vs. collecting spent fishing line.

Not long ago, it was common for dog owners to leave their dog's poop everywhere. Then, popped up some simple bins with plastic bags offering owners a method to haul out said poop. Now, dog owners are more consciencious.

In summary, these bins would be a start.....

Great project for an Eagle Scout candidate or fishing club or school.

wjorg
02-25-2010, 11:46 AM
Last I heard, Berkeley will take line and recycle it.

Fly Fisherman leave lots of mono lying around too....

sgr
02-25-2010, 01:05 PM
Then, popped up some simple bins with plastic bags offering owners a method to haul out said poop. Now, dog owners are more consciencious.

I am not going to tell about the time I watched a woman desperately trying to hold the bag behind her little dog while the dog...nope, I am not going to tell that story.