PDA

View Full Version : Rafting Lessons?

Grounded
02-01-2010, 04:46 PM
I've spent a decent amount of time on the water since I was a kid (whitewater, rafts, canoes, and kayaks...spent some time on the oars of a drift boat too), but there's always more to learn. I'd like to brush up as much as I can before heading back up to AK this summer.

Is there anyone out there that gives 1- or 2-day lessons for rowing a drift boat / fishing raft (raft is what we've used and will be using again in AK) through some whitewater? Within a 3- to 4-hour radius of the Bay Area would be best.

I'd obviously pay for the time!

Thanks in advance! :)

stevie steelhead
02-03-2010, 07:59 AM
Try calling Bigfoot Rafting (ask for Marc), in Willow Creek on the Trinity River, 5306293646.

jjjewett
02-03-2010, 10:45 AM
Im sure many of the rafting companies that operate in the Sierra would be able to do that sort of thing. Call them up and see if you can get a rowing lesson on the Silly Fork (SF American), Truckee, EF Carson, etc.

Lessons are good, but really you need time on the sticks. That is the only way to get your skills up to par.

My recommendation is to find someone who has a raft/drift boat and row it down some class I/II waters. You can row my raft down the Trinity any time this winter.

-JJ

obfg
02-03-2010, 12:01 PM
Many years ago (no, I won't tell you how many) I went through the guide school with ARTA in Lotus, CA. Here's a link to their current page (http://www.arta.org/training/pgt.htm).

Obviously, you don't want to go through the whole 9 day school, but you could probably work out a one day refresher/evaluation float through them with one of their instructors.

Grounded
02-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Try calling Bigfoot Rafting (ask for Marc), in Willow Creek on the Trinity River, 5306293646.

Good call, Stevie, thanks! I'm heading up there in a couple of weeks, so I might give them a buzz.

Im sure many of the rafting companies that operate in the Sierra would be able to do that sort of thing. Call them up and see if you can get a rowing lesson on the Silly Fork (SF American), Truckee, EF Carson, etc.

Lessons are good, but really you need time on the sticks. That is the only way to get your skills up to par.

My recommendation is to find someone who has a raft/drift boat and row it down some class I/II waters. You can row my raft down the Trinity any time this winter.

-JJ

That's what I was thinking too...hooking up with someone on the American this spring or summer. My buddy has a drift boat, so it shouldn't be hard to get the opportunity. I may have to convince him sometime to take the boat out just to run some rougher water.

And thanks for offering your raft! I should also see if I can rent one of Herb's / Kit's setup on the Trinity to run some good water.

Many years ago (no, I won't tell you how many) I went through the guide school with ARTA in Lotus, CA. Here's a link to their current page (http://www.arta.org/training/pgt.htm).

Obviously, you don't want to go through the whole 9 day school, but you could probably work out a one day refresher/evaluation float through them with one of their instructors.

Good call on the school...I'll check it out to see if they do refreshers.

Thanks, everyone...this board rocks! :D

mircetich
02-04-2010, 02:08 PM
Check your PM

Grounded
02-05-2010, 12:01 PM
Check your PM

Thanks, mircetich!