PDA

View Full Version : Timing for the tropical saltwater?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-30-2010, 10:25 AM
I am constantly searching for feedback everywhere I can about the timing for tropical fly fishing.

I ask every guide I have fished with for about 30 years now plus anyone that I meet who is fishing yearly in the tropical saltwater too.

I read every post I can find on the Internet too plus I email people who have posted about their trips.

I have read tons of articles and books on this too.

I also have a little home in Florida where I quiz all the giides there and tackle shop folks too.

For some of the warm water tropical species like Tarpon most say that from April to November, the warmer months, are best.

For baby Tarpon in the Yucatan I like June, July and
August for the lack of wind so we can run longer distance and see fish roll for a long ways too.

In Dec, Jan and Feb you can have cold fronts come down from up north, like it did this winter, a turn off the fishing for the species that like to be warm.

So when I am advising people in my shop or on the Internet that are headed down there in the winter months I tell them that if it is cool going site seeing and if it is hot go fishing.

For those reasons I do not recommend planning a serious week long lodge trip in the winter unless you are a farmer from South Dakota and just need to get warm.

If you are going two or three time to the tropics a year then the timing is not as critical but for that angler who is going on his first serious lodge trip I like to see them go in the warmer months so they don't get cold weathered out.

You still have the unpredictable winds and tides to deal with and that is more to talk about.

I do see and hear of people having great trips in the winter but that is the chance you take.

I would go to the tropic any time because I just love being there.