PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you use a Float Tube or Pontoon at Pyramid

Digger38
01-29-2010, 09:55 PM
Just curious if any of you do this? I have fished Pyramid quite a bit so far this year and I have only seen a hand full of people on toons out there and even less in float tubes. I have heard it's very dangerous to use either of these and you should stick with a full size boat or fish from the shore like I do now. Is this correct? Do any of you use a tube or tune out there and if so do you find you do better? Last thing is if you ever do bring a pontoon or tube out there do they charge you for boat launching?

jayclarkflyfishing
01-30-2010, 08:26 AM
I rarely use a float tube at Pyramid,for one it can be dangerous and I enjoy fishing from shore.I don't feel guys on tubes do any better than guys on ladders.No charge for tubes but the rule concerning pontoons is a little less clear.Read the regs and make your decision from there.

Jay

gene goss
01-30-2010, 09:46 AM
DANGEROUS.....Yes Jay is right about float tubing or tooning Pyramid.....BUT....if you know what the wind is doing.....watch for wind signs.....cat paws coming across the lake....sand storm or dust blowing....only float tube close to shore......and if the wind does come up it will push you back to shore.....the best time to float tube Pyramid is fall and winter.....when the cutthroats start spawning they move close to shore and there is no need to float tube.....My wife and friends have float tube Pyramid for 15 years now safely.

betty
01-30-2010, 10:53 AM
Agree with Jay. It can be dangerous if you don't pay attention to the wind--the most dangerous of which is a west wind, cuz this one can blow you across the lake. It often comes up suddenly and hard. But if you watch it, float tubing can be fun. Last year, we fished the south end of the lake, and the folks in our group in tubes did better than folks on shore because the fish were mostly 100 yards out. Another high water year, at the north nets, the folks in tubes did much better than shore fishermen, again because the fish were cruising the major drop off which was 100 yards or so off shore. But in general, people do better from shore.

If you do tube, please consider etiquette. Nothing makes shore fly fishermen madder than having a tuber park right in front of them, just out of casting range. It disrupts the line of cruising fish. And some of the spin fishermen with their hardware have been known to use tubers for target practice. People will be patient for so long.

mr. 3 wt.
01-30-2010, 01:05 PM
If you do tube, please consider etiquette. Nothing makes shore fly fishermen madder than having a tuber park right in front of them, just out of casting range. It disrupts the line of cruising fish. And some of the spin fishermen with their hardware have been known to use tubers for target practice. People will be patient for so long.

Good honest advice Betty. Nothing worse than pontoon/float tubers in the line if fire. Some people just don't have a clue.

Digger38
01-30-2010, 02:07 PM
I agree I know when Im fishing and someone parks a boat, tube or pontoon right in front of where Im fishing I get pretty upset. The lake is plenty large enough to search out your own spots both from shore and from the water.

LakeFisher
01-31-2010, 12:53 AM
It disrupts the line of cruising fish. And some of the spin fishermen with their hardware have been known to use tubers for target practice. People will be patient for so long.

Excellent point. I love to float tube on lakes but I don't at Pyramid for this reason. Also when the fish are running they come in plenty close for wade fishing so I don't find it necessary to tube. But fishing is a personal endeavor so if you have to tube be safe, and be mindful of the shore anglers.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-31-2010, 08:47 AM
It is not that needed and could be dangerous if it starts to blow.

It is a huge lake.............

http://web.mac.com/sierratrout/iWeb/High%20Sierra%20Trout/Trout%20blog/73798C3C-D83B-43EC-8342-8C07A7355235.html

http://flyfishnevada.com/2010/01/21/the-pyramid-ladder/

bigfly
01-31-2010, 10:41 AM
More than once I've out fished the shore fisherman, but not always. When it is slow for the guys and girls on ladders, I go off shore.
Looking for an electric trolling motor, I met a fisherman who had taken the big ride (in a tube) to Anahoe Island. When I told him I wanted the motor for Pyramid, he pointedly suggested a 50lb thrust.
One day out there I hooked up with a nice fish. Totally focused on it, I didn't notice the wind direction change. The true meaning of fear is when you can't get your heels down on solid ground, and the wind goes out of the west with gusts to 50+. I sometimes think the best thing would be a tether to my truck winch, and a remote retrieve.
Morning seems the safest for boating, but there are no guarantees.
Have fun, Be safe, try to do both at the same time.

Fly Guy Dave
01-31-2010, 02:38 PM
I took my tube out at Pyramid once and I dragged along a sizeable anchor, just in case. I figured I could at least stay put if a big wind blew in. However, I've done just as well (if not better) from a ladder, so now I skip the hassle of a tube and just fish from my ladder.

Honestly, some of the BEST fishing I've had there is when the wind is howling and the water is all stirred up into a froth. Once I didn't even have to false cast, just hold up my rod and feed line out, as the fly acted like a kite. Pretty cool.

--FlyGuy (Dave)