PDA

View Full Version : The Rubicon River

Ed Wahl
01-29-2010, 07:52 PM
Okay, here's what's got me concerned about the Rube and the FERC relicensing project.

After talking to Bill at the show it was apparant that the FERC relicensing was moving ahead but with very little angler input at the meetings.
When I asked Bill which groups were representing us in this his reply was, "me".

Since then I've made some inquiries to the major fish advocate groups that I'm aware of, Caltrout, TU, and CSPA.

Caltrout has no staffers in this part of the state so they're limited to what they can do. They did offer to give any advice,tips, knowledge that we might need.

CSPA came through pretty big.(thank you Capt. Jerry) They have a rep, Chris Shutes, who's keeping and eye on and helping out when he can on this project. This guy really knows his stuff.He's got a ton of other projects going as well so his time is limited.
He's supplied some good data as well as advice and contacts for us to use. I cc'd some friends who've been ivolved with some other issues concerning the Rubicon and it looks like it may gel into a pretty effective little group. I still don't know what I can contribute but I'll do what I can.

There's a meeting in Auburn on Tuesday concerning flows, I just made a call and begged my boss to give me the day off. If anyone's interested in going or following the progress the Placer Countie Water Agency can be found here.
http://pcwa.net/

I haven't heard from TU, maybe someone who belongs to that organization can shoot them a note?

We have a one in fifty year chance to improve what's already a pretty darn good but troubled river. I'm not gonna let it slip by.

While I can't expect anyone to drop what they're doing on such short notice, any and all who could attend Tuesdays meeting would be greatly appreciated.

Sucked into activism,
who'd a thought.

Ed

Darian
01-29-2010, 09:20 PM
Hey Ed,.... You've always been an activist.... :) Just not political. ;) Maybe we're witnessing a transformation.... :-D

Try the following website for for Trout Unlimited, Sierra Chapter:

www.sac-sierratu.org

You might want to contact Robin at Granite Bay Flycasters. She might have some info on this already. Bill Carnazzo is a member up there. :cool:

Mrs.Finsallaround
01-30-2010, 08:13 AM
You might want to contact Robin at Granite Bay Flycasters. She might have some info on this already. Bill Carnazzo is a member up there. :cool:

LOL... I guess I've earned my rep...

Hey Ed, I'm guessing this is why you called me last night (but, left no vm?). Sorry I missed your call.

What time is this meeting? I'm currently getting ready for an audit the following week, so I'm not real confident about being able to attend this meeting... But, may be able to attend others... You know, you could just get your butt to a GBF meeting, become a member, and then YOU could be a second GBF rep :wink:

Thanks for the heads-up. I think Bill emailed me about some FERC relicensing stuff a few weeks ago too, but it was regarding the Middle Fork American. We (GBF) depend primarily on Foothills Water Network to represent angling interests, but they also represent boating interest, and when those clash, they lean toward boaters instead.

sgr
01-30-2010, 08:55 AM
Thanks, Ed, for answering my question from the other thread.

Ed Wahl
01-30-2010, 09:47 AM
Yeah Robin, that was me. I decided not to leave a vm when I noticed how late it'd gotten.
I wasn't pushing for you to attend the meeting,(that woud be great tho), but I think I remember you mentioning a contact at TU?
I'm finding personal contacts are golden in this situation.
My note to TU may not have hit the mark there so if you could send one that just might get their attention.

Feel free to give out my contact info, if you get a response.

SGR, didn't mean to leave you hanging, I just needed to see which groups were interested and which weren't before posting.

Here's the info on the PCWA meeting Tues.

Review of Information Related to Instream Flow Discussion
February 2, 2010
10:00 AM – 4:00 PM

Canyon View Community Center
Foothills Room
471 Maidu Drive
Auburn, CA 95603

AGENDA
TIME TOPIC
10:00 AM – 10:10 AM* Arrival and Introductions
10:10 AM – 11:00 AM • Rubicon River and Hell Hole Reservoir
▪ Recreation – Reservoir and River Angling
11:00 AM – 12:00 PM • Middle Fork American River and French Meadows Reservoir
▪ Resource Protection /Management
▪ Infrastructure (Existing & Betterments)
▪ Existing Operations
▪ Physical Habitat
-Water Quality, Hydrology, and Geomorphology
▪ Biological Resources/Habitat Modeling
-Riparian and Aquatic Species
▪ Recreation
-River Access, River Crossing, Angling, WW
Boating, Reservoir Access, Reservoir Angling
12:00 PM – 1:00 PM Lunch (provided by PCWA)
1:00 PM – 3:45 PM • Continue Discussion of Middle Fork American River and French Meadows Reservoir Resource Information
3:45 PM – 4:00 PM Next Steps
4:00 PM Adjourn

*Times are approximate and are subject to change on the meeting day.

MEETING OBJECTIVE
Review of (A) Rubicon River and Hell Hole Reservoir
and (B) Middle Fork American River and French Meadows Reservoir Resource Information related to Instream Flow Discussion

Mrs.Finsallaround
01-30-2010, 01:54 PM
...but I think I remember you mentioning a contact at TU?
I'm finding personal contacts are golden in this situation.
My note to TU may not have hit the mark there so if you could send one that just might get their attention.

Feel free to give out my contact info, if you get a response.

E-mail sent Ed, and CC'd to Kevin Mather of Sac-Sierra TU...

Ed Wahl
02-04-2010, 09:00 PM
Meeting Summary, kind of......

A very good showing by the fishing community.

I think we got our "uh oh" moment.

Most of the meeting was going over the results of studies done on the watershed.
Rather dry, unless you know the area. Some examples would be, hydrology, water quality, geomorphology,biological resources, water temps vs trout, and water temps vs frogs, population densities of trout and other fishes, well, you get the picture.

They covered some recreation points as well but they're all pretty well known and mostly dealt with the resevoirs.

A group of angling interests has formed up to to make sure we don't get short shrift out of the new license.

Since I have to work for the man I'm kinda out for some of it but rest assured, I'd trust my river to these guys in a heart beat. The knowledge and experience with both water and fishing issues these guys posses is a little intimidating. Sometimes more than a little.
Glad they're on our side.

For now I'm very optimistic that the Rubicon and it's tribs are going improve after this is all said and done.

We've still got a long way to go before it's done, but at least the powers involved now understand that the fishermen will not be ignored.

Ed

Darian
02-04-2010, 11:43 PM
Great job Ed!!! =D> =D> =D>