PDA

View Full Version : Carp Fishing

Charlie S
01-25-2010, 10:43 PM
By the way, although there are stripers, small and large mouths, crappie, bluegill, and even some trout in Lake Mendocino those of you who are adventurous should attempt to catch some of the huge carp that some yaahoo put in there a few years ago. The population of carp has exploded and there are so many it is unbelieveable. Give it a shot. They are definitely not easy, and I would advise an 8wt in case you get one of the 25-30 pounders on, but they will test your fly fishing skills.

Jay Murakoshi
01-25-2010, 11:17 PM
Where's this lake at?

Jay

Niceguy
01-26-2010, 05:44 AM
Jay
I believe the Russian River flows out of it. Its about 7 miles out of Ukiah, east on highway 20.
Ralph

Tony Buzolich
01-26-2010, 07:53 AM
My mother-in-law used to live only a couple of miles from the lake and it was great to fish for the stripers when we visited her. Schools would often travel like bonita across the water pushing bait and then disappearing and then surfacing again. The trick was to watch the direction the schools were heading and try to get in front of them quietly and let them come to you.

Sometimes they would crowd the bait (threadfin) against the shore in small coves and you'd see the threadfin actually jumping onto the bank trying to escape.

As for carp, they seem to show up everywhere. I'd often see them cruising in the shallows where the Russian comes into the lake but they're scattered throughout. Lots of squawfish there too. Never targeted them but would catch them incidentaly.

My brother-in-law used to fish Mendocino fifty years ago as a kid with cut bait and has taken 15-20# stripers back then so you know there are some bigger fish still around with all of the food supply.

I don't know if there is enough water flow from the Russian coming in to sustain a spawning population. I doubt it. But, the lake was planted(used to) with stripers regularly often when I was there fishing. They would hang around the ramp area and would hit any small baitfish pattern you'd throw at them. Great fun on a 6 weight.
TONY

Darian
01-26-2010, 10:19 AM
I've never fished Mendocino but used to check it out on the way to the coast. I've never seen it full. As I recall, the lake had two sources of water. The first was the Russian River, the other was tunnel that transported water from the upper Eel River through Cold Creek to the lake. Does anyone know if that's still the case :?: :?:

Charlie S
01-26-2010, 10:34 AM
Actually the tunnel from the Eel goes into the Russian in Potter Valley and Cold Creek, which runs parallel to Hwy 20 from the East flows into the Russian at the junction of Hwy 20 and the turn off for Potter Valley. Interesting note....there are native trout in lower Cold Creek but it is effectively blocked for fishing by private property. It would not take very much pressure in any case to completely eliminate these fish. I have access but I do not fish the creek, ever....I just watch the little guys doing their thing.