PDA

View Full Version : Wapsi & Hareline are doing well.......

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-25-2010, 10:01 AM
From what I can gather, in slow economic times fly tying becomes even more popular?

I guess it is because people are not taking the big trips or buying lots of tackle so they are tying flies more?

In talking with the the two largest suppliers of fly tying "stuff" Wapsi and Hareline are as busy as ever right now.

We will be working for the next few month to increase our fly tying "stuff" at Kiene's but as I have said before, if you are a serious fly tier you probably are going to look for "stuff" anywhere you can find it.

__________________________________________________ _______________________

In past years I have had the famous fly tier Bob Quigley come by the shop and when he does he first goes through every thing we have in materials first and makes a little pile.

Bob says that the hardest thing to find is the right materials in exactly the right colors.

__________________________________________________ ______________________

This is probably why synthetics have really become popular. Probably it is because it is a little easier to control.

All the finest natural materials are actually purchased for more dollars by other industries like for the show girls who dance in Reno and Las Vegas. They buy lots of large select plumage for their outfits. The fly tying industry gets the left overs in some cases.

David Lee
01-25-2010, 10:14 AM
I guess we should start collecting Showgirls ?

D.~

Hairstacker
01-25-2010, 02:13 PM
I guess we should start collecting Showgirls ?

D.~

I would think storage would be an immediate problem . . . if I move some stuff around, I might be able to fit just one in my fly tying cabinet and maybe a couple more under the bed next to the rest of my fly tying materials but that's about it. :lol:

SHigSpeed
01-25-2010, 02:22 PM
All the finest natural materials are actually purchased for more dollars by other industries like for the show girls who dance in Reno and Las Vegas. They buy lots of large select plumage for their outfits. The fly tying industry gets the left overs in some cases.

Even a leftover showgirl can't be half bad right? ;^)

_SHig

David Lee
01-25-2010, 02:55 PM
Somewhere in here , there's got to be a Crab-pattern joke ....

D.~

Mike O
01-26-2010, 12:59 PM
talking about flies to catch fishermen.....