PDA

View Full Version : I-Hate-To-Tie-This-Fly FLY SWAP

Ben Kobrin
01-22-2010, 11:27 AM
OK swappers…the last one turned out great so I think we should keep the ball rolling.

I believe that fly swaps are a perfect opportunity to improve our skills as tyers. In my mind, this means going outside of our comfort zone and truly challenging ourselves to do something that we may not be comfortable with. For this reason, the general rules of this swap are:

-Open to the first 8 who sign up.
-Please sign up to tie something that you either haven't tied before or something that incorporates a technique or material that is new to you. I’d like this to be a learning experience for everyone involved. I think it would be great if along with the fly you are going to tie, you told us why it qualifies for this swap.
-No other rules….it can be a dry, nymph, streamer, bass bug….anything you want, as long as you are trying something new!
-Due date is March 15th.

I’ll start the ball rolling:

My all time favorite fly is the Yellow Humpy. The problem it that I have never been able to tie them to my satisfaction. I try one or two then give up because I can never get the proportions right...they just look bad. I have a hunch that by the time I tie a bunch for this swap I’ll be much happier with the way they look.

1. WoolyBugger - size 14 Yellow Humpy - RECIEVED
3. Mrs. Finsallaround - Elk Hair Caddis _MAILED
4. nrvi - woven something-or-other - RECEIVED
5. jburge - size 16 Royal Wulff - RECEIVED
6. TMS - MEDUSA San Juan Worm variation - RECEIVED
7. Nomadic Fisherman - Neversink Trude - RECEIVED
8. Hairstaker - Matuka - RECEIVED

Garrett S
01-22-2010, 05:59 PM
Im in and im not sure what i will be tying

Hairstacker
01-22-2010, 06:14 PM
Hmmm . . . maybe it's just me but I'm thinking it might be hard to fill this swap up with folks who have to tie flies they hate to tie because . . . well, they hate tying 'em. :lol:

Personally, I can't really think of any flies I hate to tie, but like you, I like to use a swap as an opportunity to learn a new pattern (which is why I tied the Zug Bug in the last swap) or practice a particular skill.

So, if you can't fill this one, may I humbly suggest you consider allowing the option of simply tying a fly pattern you've never attempted before? This would be consistent with the philosophy of a fly swap being a learning opportunity. Anyway, just a suggestion if you don't get enough takers. :)

Ben Kobrin
01-22-2010, 10:00 PM
Hmmm . . . maybe it's just me but I'm thinking it might be hard to fill this swap up with folks who have to tie flies they hate to tie because . . . well, they hate tying 'em. :lol:

Personally, I can't really think of any flies I hate to tie, but like you, I like to use a swap as an opportunity to learn a new pattern (which is why I tied the Zug Bug in the last swap) or practice a particular skill.

So, if you can't fill this one, may I humbly suggest you consider allowing the option of simply tying a fly pattern you've never attempted before? This would be consistent with the philosophy of a fly swap being a learning opportunity. Anyway, just a suggestion if you don't get enough takers. :)

Thanks Mike...that is certainly within the spirit of what I had in mind. I didn't mean for this to be limited to flies that people didn't enjoy tying, I just wanted to encourage people to try something new. I chose to get better at tying the Yellow Humpy, but I could have just as easily decided to try spinning hair, or tying a fly with a quill body; both examples of things that I have never done.

Maybe I should re-name it the Trying-Something-New FLY SWAP. Thanks for the suggestion! Come on guys, don't be afraid :)

Mrs.Finsallaround
01-23-2010, 08:20 AM
OK swappers…the last one turned out great so I think we should keep the ball rolling.

I believe that fly swaps are a perfect opportunity to improve our skills as tyers. In my mind, this means going outside of our comfort zone and truly challenging ourselves to do something that we may not be comfortable with. For this reason, the general rules of this swap are:

-Open to the first 8 who sign up.
-Please sign up to tie something that you either haven't tied before or something that incorporates a technique or material that is new to you. I’d like this to be a learning experience for everyone involved. I think it would be great if along with the fly you are going to tie, you told us why it qualifies for this swap.
-No other rules….it can be a dry, nymph, streamer, bass bug….anything you want, as long as you are trying something new!

I’ll start the ball rolling:

My all time favorite fly is the Yellow Humpy. The problem it that I have never been able to tie them to my satisfaction. I try one or two then give up because I can never get the proportions right...they just look bad. I have a hunch that by the time I tie a bunch for this swap I’ll be much happier with the way they look.

1. WoolyBugger - size 14 Yellow Humpy
2. Guppy - TBD

I'm TOTALLY in! AND, my fly WON'T be a BHFBPT, wiggle tail, copper john, or a wooly bugger because those are the ONLY things I HAVE tied.... :lol:. Not much experience yet, but I'm likin' these swaps :unibrow:

No idea yet what it will be, gotta think on it :-k. Probably something with deer hair, cause I HATE that stuff :D

Hmmmmmmm, maybe Paul's super minnow.... Let me have a day or two to decide.

Any idea when you'll want them to be submitted by?

Ben Kobrin
01-23-2010, 10:33 AM
Thanks Robin, you're in. Your pheasant tail looked great by the way...never would have guessed that you were short on experience. I'll post the due date above.

-Ben

nrvi
01-23-2010, 03:12 PM
Count me in, I will be tying a woven something or other as I have played around with weaving a little but I certainly could use the practice to get better at it.

jburge
01-23-2010, 04:53 PM

I believe that fly swaps are a perfect opportunity to improve our skills as tyers. In my mind, this means going outside of our comfort zone and truly challenging ourselves to do something that we may not be comfortable with.

WB, right on! I always like to approach swaps with a "how can I tie something new" mentality. That's exactly the reason I chose the Sloan's Mighty Mite for our last one. I had never worked with vinyl rib before, much less trying to weave flashabou into the mix. So, I'm right with you when it comes to trying to improve skills.

I'd like to jump in this swap with a Wulff--either an Adams Wulff or Royal Wulff. The reason being, I've tied 'em before, but never relished the idea of working with calf tail and/or calf body hair. For some reason, it was one of those things that always seemed to get away from me. I love the Wulff style wings, but trying to get the hair in place on the hook was a challenge. The additional challenge with the Royal is the proportion of peacock to floss for the body (and whether or not to incorporate a wire rib).

All that said, count me in (either a #14 or #16) and thanks for hosting.

John

BTW, Robin if that's all you've ever tied, you'd never know it by looking at your flies. They are great!

TMS
01-23-2010, 05:44 PM
WB, Haven't swapped in quite a while. I have some Neon Squirmy Wormy material I've never used. The fly will be a variation of Dave Hise's MEDUSA San Juan Worm.

Thanks for hosting.

Thom

Nomadic Fisherman
01-23-2010, 11:25 PM
Greetings All,

Well this is my first reply.
I've been a fan of this site for quite a while and finally got the nerve up...
If I may join in, I would like to try to tie a fly called a "Neversink Trude".
Please let me know when the due date is.

Thank you

Mikel

Ben Kobrin
01-23-2010, 11:33 PM
Greetings All,

Well this is my first reply.
I've been a fan of this site for quite a while and finally got the nerve up...
If I may join in, I would like to try to tie a fly called a "Neversink Trude".
Please let me know when the due date is.

Thank you

Mikel

You're in! Welcome and I'm glad we were able to pull you off the sidelines. The due date is March 15th.

-Ben

By the way...I just googled the Neversink Trude and it looks badass! Definitely not an easy tie, but it looks like fun.

Hairstacker
01-24-2010, 12:37 PM
I'm in! Took some thought but I'm thinking I'll tie a matuka -- I've never tied one before and it looks like a great crossover (warm and cold water) pattern. I just have to check to make sure the feathers I have will work; otherwise, I'll be tying something else to be determined.

Mikel (Nomadic Fisherman), welcome aboard! Glad you decided to step into the limelight. :lol: What do you usually fish for?

Well, looks like the makings of a great swap. Kind of nice we only have to tie 8 or so flies -- in a swap I'm in right now on another board, I have to tie 17. :-s

Ben, by the way, thanks for hosting!! I agree with you about Robin's pheasant tail in the last swap -- it was unquestionably a great tie and I would have never guessed she isn't a seasoned tyer.

Ben Kobrin
01-24-2010, 02:45 PM
OK everyone...Hairstacker rounds out our 8.

I wanted to keep it small because in theory we should all be having a little more difficulty with our flies than we would for a normal swap.

If the TBD's could let us know what they have decided I will get the front page updated.

Thanks for everyone that is participating.

-Ben

Mrs.Finsallaround
01-24-2010, 02:46 PM
Thanks Robin, you're in. Your pheasant tail looked great by the way...never would have guessed that you were short on experience.

BTW, Robin if that's all you've ever tied, you'd never know it by looking at your flies. They are great!

I agree with you about Robin's pheasant tail in the last swap -- it was unquestionably a great tie and I would have never guessed she isn't a seasoned tyer.

Thanks guys... I have a great teacher....:nod:

Don't forget, I'm married to GBF's beginning fly-tying instructor :lol:

It does have its perks :unibrow:

These swaps are giving me a chance to spread my wings, so-to-speak :grin:

Garrett S
01-24-2010, 04:57 PM
Im going to tie a stimulator, i have never tied one and hate working with deer/elk hair

jburge
01-24-2010, 07:00 PM
It'll be a #16 Royal Wulff for me. I got through one today... I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...

And you're right Mike about this only being 8. I just finished up 15 Quill Gordons for another swap on another board. Whew.

You know, there is another aspect to all of this that didn't hit me until today. When dealing with different materials and/or different techniques, it might be advantageous to also look at tools that are made for the job. For example, I just changed bobbins and it's given me a whole new feel for thread control. A different hairstacker gives me better control over the calf hair. Anybody else have this experience?

John

Hairstacker
01-24-2010, 09:23 PM
When dealing with different materials and/or different techniques, it might be advantageous to also look at tools that are made for the job. For example, I just changed bobbins and it's given me a whole new feel for thread control. A different hairstacker gives me better control over the calf hair. Anybody else have this experience?

John

Hmmm . . . a few things come to mind . . . .

Going from an India-import vise to an HMH Standard Bench vise sure made tying more pleasant, as the HMH holds hooks much more securely, takes much less effort to secure a hook, and can be adjusted to tie almost true-rotary style.

Smoothing out the sharp edges on my inexpensive English-style hackle pliers seems to have resulted in fewer broken hackles.

Going from a regular hair stacker to this one made by Stonefly has made it much easier to see what I'm doing since it is built out of see-through plastic:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/stfly-hair-stacker.jpg

That's about all that comes to mind.

Nomadic Fisherman
01-24-2010, 11:25 PM
I'm in! Took some thought but I'm thinking I'll tie a matuka -- I've never tied one before and it looks like a great crossover (warm and cold water) pattern. I just have to check to make sure the feathers I have will work; otherwise, I'll be tying something else to be determined.

Mikel (Nomadic Fisherman), welcome aboard! Glad you decided to step into the limelight. :lol: What do you usually fish for?

Well, looks like the makings of a great swap. Kind of nice we only have to tie 8 or so flies -- in a swap I'm in right now on another board, I have to tie 17. :-s

Ben, by the way, thanks for hosting!! I agree with you about Robin's pheasant tail in the last swap -- it was unquestionably a great tie and I would have never guessed she isn't a seasoned tyer.

Hey there Hairstacker,
I am still trying to get the hang of this message stuff.
Stripers; Largemouth;Smallmouth Bass; Shad; Trout; Crappie; even Carp
I will fish for anything that swims...I have even put a line on my friend's son and had him swim away (conventional gear though):D

Mikel

Hairstacker
01-25-2010, 12:38 AM
I will fish for anything that swims...I have even put a line on my friend's son and had him swim away (conventional gear though):D

Mikel

This wouldn't have been near the Farallon Islands, would it? :lol:

Jay Murakoshi
01-25-2010, 03:39 PM
Regarding the humpies.... Years and I mean years ago, I was shown a way to tie a humpy the real quick. The tail, body and wings are tied in with one clump of hair. If I can find the time, I'll either do it on video and post it or do it in tying steps. It's fast and easy

Jay

Ben Kobrin
01-26-2010, 05:23 PM
Regarding the humpies.... If I can find the time, I'll either do it on video and post it or do it in tying steps. It's fast and easy

Jay

That would be fantastic. I sat down last night and tied a few...I'm happy to report that they look exactly as bad as I remember. :)

Ben Kobrin
01-28-2010, 11:54 AM
OK slackers...we already have our first batch of completed flies! Thom sent in his worm variation a few days ago and you will love what he did. I can honestly say that I haven't seen anything like it before. Don't worry though...it's a good thing!

As you finish just shoot me a PM and I'll send my address.

-Ben

Hairstacker
01-28-2010, 12:31 PM
Thom sent in his worm variation a few days ago and you will love what he did.

-Ben

I'm not surprised . . . Thom is an avid fly tyer who is always thinking outside the box. :cool:

Mrs.Finsallaround
01-28-2010, 12:34 PM
OK slackers...we already have our first batch of completed flies! Thom sent in his worm variation a few days ago...

:eek: We have until March 15th, right????? I haven't even decided WHICH deer hair fly I'm tying yet!

Yikes! Guess I better get busy! :confused:

Mrs.Finsallaround
01-30-2010, 01:51 PM
Ok guys.... I've decided to do the Elk Hair Caddis.... :smirk:

Now I just gotta get to work! :confused:

Ben Kobrin
01-30-2010, 11:20 PM
This is turning out to be every bit as difficult as I had imagined. If I wasn't in the swap, I absolutely would have given up by now...which is why I started this kind of swap in the first place. Apparently I have nobody to blame but myself! I've tied 6 humpies so far, and this is the best of that batch:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/lazychuck1/DSC_1312.jpg

Not perfect by anyones standards, but it is the first one that has put a smile on my face. Looks like I need to shorten the tail just a bit and start the body/hump just a bit farther back on the hook, closer to the bend. Any other critiques?

I hope everyone else is having a good time. Any other updates?

-Ben

Hairstacker
01-31-2010, 12:21 AM
Oh, I don't know, looks like you nailed the rear tie-in point to me. If you tied it any further back, it looks like it would be in the bend itself, which would cause the tail to slant downward. I prefer my dry fly tails to either be neutral or slant slightly upward but not downward. Just out of curiosity, what model hook are you using?

Tail length looks fine too, although I know some like to tie their Humpys with slightly shorter tails. I would think yours would offer better support to offset the heavy hackling up front. If it were me, I'm not sure I would change it to be honest with you.

Since you're asking, I would look out for allowing the tail to roll over to the far side when you tie it in. This is just a nit-pick though and I only mention it because you asked -- I think you did a great job!

Nomadic Fisherman
02-01-2010, 06:54 AM
This is turning out to be every bit as difficult as I had imagined. If I wasn't in the swap, I absolutely would have given up by now...which is why I started this kind of swap in the first place. Apparently I have nobody to blame but myself! I've tied 6 humpies so far, and this is the best of that batch:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/lazychuck1/DSC_1312.jpg

Not perfect by anyones standards, but it is the first one that has put a smile on my face. Looks like I need to shorten the tail just a bit and start the body/hump just a bit farther back on the hook, closer to the bend. Any other critiques?

I hope everyone else is having a good time. Any other updates?

-Ben

Wow! Looks great to me. I've tied 20 versions of the Neversink Trude so far...
I'm not happy with the legs yet. Sorry I cannot post a picture - still trying to get this messaging stuff down.
I think I will have a decent set ready by the weekend.
Hope I do not embarrass myself too much.

Mikel

nrvi
02-01-2010, 08:59 AM
Looks buggy enough for me, that thing will float anywhere, one of my favorite high country patterns but a real challenge to tie. I have been working on my woven stonefly pattern.....they keep getting uglier thank goodness March is still a few weeks away.

Ben Kobrin
02-01-2010, 09:55 AM
thank goodness march is still a few weeks away.

bingo!!!!!

Hairstacker
02-01-2010, 10:44 AM
I hear you guys . . . if my Matukas approach the quality of that Humpy, I will be one happy camper! :lol:

Ben Kobrin
02-01-2010, 11:32 AM
I hear you guys . . . if my Matukas approach the quality of that Humpy, I will be one happy camper! :lol:

If any of my other 7 humpies approach the quality of that humpy I'll be a happy camper. I've tied another 5 since that one and haven't come close!

-Ben

jburge
02-01-2010, 06:49 PM

Boy, am I glad I'm not alone. I now have over a dozen Royal Wulffs (if you want to call 'em that) tied, but am not real pleased. How 'bout we definitely think of them as "fishing flies"? :-D

If I muster up the nerve, I'll try to post a pic so you can see what you're in for :-D

John

jburge
02-14-2010, 10:47 AM
Well hey Ben, the good news is, your plan worked. Well, sorta. It's not that I "hate" to tie this fly, just that it has once again confirmed my love-hate relationship with calf hair and Wulff wings ;-) I got the Royal Wulffs done and hopefully y'all will like 'em.

http://takeahike.us.com/flies/royalwulff.jpg

The tails are long, so I'll forewarn everybody ahead of time. That's just me. I like the way they sit in the water, especially in some of the more turbulent streams I like to fish. I also wish I could get the tail to sit in a tighter little bundle, but maybe it's just the moose hair I'm using??? It's a little hard to see in this photo, but there is some copper wire ribbing too.

I'm always looking to improve, so if anybody sees anything that could make it classier, just let me know. Thanks!

John

Hairstacker
02-14-2010, 11:06 AM
John, was it John Gierach who said that perhaps the perfect fly is one that is tied as intended? If you prefer longer tails on your dries, so be it. I think A.K. Best prefers longer tails on his dries too, so that puts you in pretty darn good company, not to mention the naturals are that way.

In any event, that is a beautifully tied fly, great job!

nrvi
02-14-2010, 01:44 PM
It is great to see the fruits of your labor, they are looking good. I wish I could say the same about my woven stones.....you all may have to settle with ugly, but I will keep trying, still a little time left.

Jay Murakoshi
02-14-2010, 04:02 PM
Sounds like everyone is talking about tying a difficult pattern. One of my favorite pattens to tie up was a Goddard Caddis. Natural deer hair, a couple grizzly hackle stems and trim the body to a cone shape with a sharp angle butt end

Jay

jburge
02-15-2010, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the props guys ;-) And I never thought of it the way Gierach put it, Mike. But it's right. If the fly comes out the way it's intended, then hey, it's a good fly.

Can't wait to see this set. I think it's gonna be really nice.

John

Ben Kobrin
02-18-2010, 05:14 PM
I hope everyone is enjoying their time at the vise. I can tell you first hand that jburge's time was well spent! His flies got to me yesterday and they are beautiful. He may call his relationship with calf hair love/hate, but for those of us that are going to enjoy the fruits of his labor it will just be love!

If anyone else has an update that they would like to share, we'd love to hear about how you are doing. In case anyone cares, my Humpies still suck.

-Ben

jburge
02-18-2010, 06:26 PM
I hope everyone is enjoying their time at the vise. I can tell you first hand that jburge's time was well spent! His flies got to me yesterday and they are beautiful. He may call his relationship with calf hair love/hate, but for those of us that are going to enjoy the fruits of his labor it will just be love!

Ben,

THANKS! Hopefully (if this weather keeps up) we can be fishing all these flies very soon ;-)

John

Hairstacker
02-20-2010, 12:33 AM
If anyone else has an update that they would like to share, we'd love to hear about how you are doing. In case anyone cares, my Humpies still suck.

:lol: I know how you feel . . . I've tied a dozen matukas and I think I'm ok with about half of 'em.

Matukas actually turned out to be pretty easy to tie, although they're a little fussy and I keep second-guessing how they're supposed to look. So it goes.

medfly
02-20-2010, 10:23 AM
just a random humpy thought, i like to tie them with japanese foam as the back rather than the elk/deer hair. makes them more visible, durable, and bouyant. i also like to throw on a pair of centipede rubber legs. really turns a regular humpy into something pretty burly. and since i usually use them as a dry in a dry-dropper rig, this version can handle some heavy nymphs and is really visible as an indicator. picture to follow when i am less lazy

Ben Kobrin
02-23-2010, 08:39 PM
Nrvi's woven stones have arrived. Very well done!

Ben Kobrin
03-06-2010, 09:26 AM
Just a little bump to see how everyone is doing. Due date is just over a week away. As soon as you are done shoot me a PM and I'll get you my address.

-Ben

Hairstacker
03-06-2010, 12:57 PM
My flies are done. I worked out a size and color combination that I'm anxious to try out on creek spots and smallies this summer. I'll send you a PM that you can reply to with the mailing address. I'll try to get 'em into the mail on Monday.

Mrs.Finsallaround
03-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Queen of procrastination here - tying this weekend.... LOL.

Nomadic Fisherman
03-09-2010, 08:37 AM
I was ready to send mine but then I casted it and the fly spun in the air:eek:
I tried to shorten the legs but it did not look right.
I then decided to use a longer shank hook. Casted and landed better:thumbsup:
Will send the updated version when I'm done...today.

Mikel

Ben Kobrin
03-09-2010, 09:32 AM
I was ready to send mine but then I casted it and the fly spun in the air:eek:
I tried to shorten the legs but it did not look right.
I then decided to use a longer shank hook. Casted and landed better:thumbsup:
Will send the updated version when I'm done...today.

Mikel

Wow...we have an in-house R&D department! I look forward to seeing them.

-Ben

Ben Kobrin
03-12-2010, 04:43 PM
We have one participant that unfortunatly had to bow out. If it's ok with everyone, just send in the same number of flies as we had originally planned. When I'm sending them out, you'll get two from somebody, at random. Does this make sense?

-Ben

jburge
03-12-2010, 04:51 PM
Works for me. Thanks, Ben!

nrvi
03-28-2010, 10:16 AM
did the flies ever get mailed? Just curious.

Hairstacker
03-28-2010, 10:31 AM
Was curious myself. :)

jburge
03-28-2010, 11:43 AM
did the flies ever get mailed? Just curious.

I was beginning to wonder too...

John

Mrs.Finsallaround
03-29-2010, 06:04 AM
Yeah, I PM'd the other day to see if my flies actually got received, as I was the last to send mine in...

Ben Kobrin
03-29-2010, 09:17 PM
WOW!!!!! I have no excuses but a complete brain fart! I've had these things divided and packaged for over a week in my tying room and just completely forgot about them. Tells you how busy I've been and how often I get into my tying room! A huge apology to all of you. I put them in the mail as soon as I got home today so they should be to everyone in a few days. Again, a big "I'M SORRY" goes out to everyone and thank you for participating.

-Ben

Hairstacker
03-29-2010, 10:18 PM
Hey Ben, as far as I'm concerned, no big deal. I have too many of those moments myself. :lol:

nrvi
03-30-2010, 07:49 AM
No sweat, and thanks for hosting, I look forward to testing the results. I took a couple of woven stones down to the American and stuck three...a budding willow, a dead cottonwood, and a one eyed pike minnow. At least the hooks are strong, I hope the rest of you have better luck.

Mrs.Finsallaround
03-31-2010, 09:53 PM
Got mine... great lookin' flies guys!

Hey Mike - what do you use a Matuka for???? VERY cool lookin' fly.

jburge
04-01-2010, 07:44 AM
Got mine in yesterday's mail, and for a group that "hates" to ties these flies, wow! This is a fine looking set. A really nice job by all.

John

Hairstacker
04-01-2010, 10:10 AM
Got mine... great lookin' flies guys!

Hey Mike - what do you use a Matuka for???? VERY cool lookin' fly.

Hi Robin!

Actually, I've never used one before. :oops: But they are prominently included in Dave Hughes' "Essential Trout Flies" and I have heard anecdotal evidence that they are pretty effective on certain Sierra lakes.

The version I tied for the swap I intended for creek bass, and I plan to test it out this summer. I'll report back here once I've done so.

Darian
04-01-2010, 09:24 PM
Robin,.... The history of the Matuka is that the style originated in New Zealand for lakes down there. It has been adopted over here for rivers/lakes and is good for Steelhead as well as Trout.... I've even heard of matuka's being used for Black Bass....

Try varied sizes and colors to find out what you'd like to use the matuka for. Happy exploring.... :D :D

Hairstacker
04-02-2010, 11:13 AM
Got my swap flies! \\:D/ Wow, for being difficult-for-the-tyer-to-tie flies, this is one of the finest sets of swap flies ever. Thanks for all the great ties everyone and special thanks to Ben for hosting!

With fishing about to bust open soon everywhere, I don't know if folks are up for another swap but I'm game if everyone else is. :unibrow:

Mrs.Finsallaround
04-02-2010, 11:18 AM
Wow, for being difficult-for-the-tyer-to-tie flies, this is one of the finest sets of swap flies ever.

for a group that "hates" to ties these flies, wow! This is a fine looking set. A really nice job by all.

Hubby said the same when I showed him the collection. He'd never seen the Matuka before either...

I, too, am also game for another swap, if anyone is willing to host! True, LMB and stripes are just around the corner, but if the turn around is 6 wks like this one, we shouldn't have any trouble fitting it in?

Thanks again guys!

Ben Kobrin
04-02-2010, 01:29 PM
LMB and stripes are just around the corner

Seems like a perfect time for a bass swap. Bring on the meat!

jburge
04-03-2010, 07:27 AM
Seems like a perfect time for a bass swap. Bring on the meat!

Doh! Sounds like fun, but I just signed up to do Scott's shad fly swap. As much as I'd love to do some bass bugs, I don't want to spread myself too thin ;-) Maybe next time around...

John

nrvi
04-03-2010, 02:55 PM
those were some great flies, good job everyone. I am up for the bass one if everyone else is.

Nomadic Fisherman
04-08-2010, 08:33 AM
My flies arrived today...forgot to send forwarding address#-o
Great job everyone. I can't wait to try these babies out.:-D