PDA

View Full Version : Fly tying is doing well, even in this economy.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-21-2010, 09:07 AM
In the past months I have talked with some of the people at the big fly tying material houses like Hareline, Spirit River and Wapsi. They are all as busy as ever.

Someone was saying that in slow economic times fly tying actually gets more popular?

We will be working hard in the next 2 to 3 months to work over our fly tying selections.

We have recently moved our hooks out on pegboard so you can visually inspect them.

We have a pretty serious selection of spooled products too.

We will be putting more energy into our material selection but it takes time and lots of work.

PS: If you are a serious fly tier you will want to go into every fly shop and craft store you get near. Everyone has different "stuff"....

Jgoding
01-21-2010, 11:56 AM
Doesn't make much sense to me Bill.... I don't think fly tying has saved me any money over the years and usually has quite the oppositve effect as tying becomes more of "how much/many different materials can I collect" sort of thing.

Rich Leonetti
01-21-2010, 04:24 PM
I am planning a series of mobile fly tying stations. Something like the RV used in Stripes. Roaming the most popular streams pulling up like the local "roach coach" and selling flies. Whaddya think?
lol....
It would be great...... no business today ..save gas and fish until someone gets there to buy something.... how long do you think I'll be in business? Who's in? I'm thinking one tier? and one driver? Maybe we can sell advertising...