PDA

View Full Version : We need our own Spey Clave

Cal
01-18-2010, 11:52 PM
I was speaking with Bob Meiser today about various topics related to his rods and the subject of the Spey-o-Rama at Golden Gate Park came up with regard to having lots of rod manufacturers with rods to cast and tryout. Bob is not going to make it this year because he has a conflict with an event in Japan that he was invited to.

At the Spey-o-Rama there`really is only limited time for to cast rods since the main purpose is the casting competitions. Meiser was saying it was too bad we didn't have our own version of the Sandy River Spey Clave down here. He said he would be very interested to come down here and he thought that Gary Anderson and Kerry Burkheimer would also be interested. Certainly, there is a strong group of spey aficianados in Northern California and I have found Kiene's Fly Shop to be the catalyst for all things spey around here. We also have many excellent local instructors and dealer reps.

The American River would be a good venue for such an event since many folks from the Bay Area and surrounding greater Sacramento area could easily drive up for the day and not have to stay over (unless they wanted too).

Anyone else been thinking along these lines ?

Grampa Spey
01-19-2010, 09:18 AM
I only go to SpeyoRama on Fridays to try the new rods, lines and often to match a rod to line that I own or may buy.

The distance casting at SpeyoRama is beautiful but it really has minimal reality to our fishing needs with the two handed rods.

Security would be a problem at Watt Ave. The spot where Dec Hogan's Spey Class was held last year would be great. You would have to walk in, but it would eliminate the drug dealers with their pet killer dogs and the other collections of non fishers sizing up the rods/reels and other gear to "borrow" to buy something from the guys with the killer dogs.

I would like to see a two day clave starting on Friday.

norcal tom
01-19-2010, 10:56 AM
How about one of the coastal river mabe ?

Fats
01-19-2010, 12:31 PM
You could do it on the Russian... They Luv spey casters on that river!

(I jest!)

I think the American in Sacramento is the better choice. Watt avenue seems to be a perfect venue for something like this.

chapmag
01-19-2010, 12:52 PM
I too go to the SF spey-o-rama on Friday to try new lines on my rod and new rods. I've also gone to casting demos on Saturday, but I'm most interested in trying out new stuff.

I think the combination of demo rods (Meiser, Anderson, Burkheimer, Rajeff, etc.) and demo lines (Rio, Airflo, etc.) on moving water would be a great draw. The American would let people cast on a river -- the ideal demo.

lynnwhite44
01-20-2010, 07:58 AM
I think a spey clave in northern California is a great idea. I live in the Bay Area and I would travel up to the American to attend. Redding/Red Bluff area may also be a good location. In years past I have been tempted to travel to the Sandy River but the timing wasn't right.

acrods
01-21-2010, 01:34 AM
I would really like to see a northern CA spey clave.I am sure I could get the Oregon group to go down for it!
All Good Things,
Gary Anderson

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-21-2010, 09:00 AM
In Northern California the Lower American River would be a great place.

Maybe timing would be better in the fall so it is not so close to the Spey-O-Rama in SF in April?

To make it work we would have to get "everyone" together on it.

Charlie Gonzales
01-21-2010, 10:55 AM
Sunrise would be a good location also, good amount of room on both sides of the river. Sage held a class there last year and it worked out very well.

Pez
01-21-2010, 11:38 AM
It would be great to have our own spey clave and be able to test all the rods at once. !!!Great idea Cal!!!.

Rick J
01-21-2010, 01:44 PM
I like the idea of having it in the fall. Most other claves up north and in SF are in the spring with varying degrees of success depending on weather. The Clearwater Clave is scheduled in the fall and they get a tremendous turn out. Bruce and I were up there this year when it was on though did not stop by - this year we plan to stop by and visit with Poppy

Don Powell
01-21-2010, 08:05 PM
#1 Great idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#2 Location: American River
A. Certainly, a hub of interest due to the local talent who account admirably for themselves at Spey O Rama
B. Nor Cal's most gracious and accommodating host, Kiene's Fly Shop, (in addition to Bill's willingness to stock anything truly valuable to us)

#3 Autumn, choose the date carefully...the two months I would most like to be in B.C., in eastern OR/WA or Idaho are September and October! I'm sure some other anglers may feel the same way

#4 Gary Anderson, Bob Meiser and Kerry Burkheimer have added immeasurably to my enjoyment of the sport I love most, and, in order to share their wisdom and craftsmanship, a date must be selected that ensures their participation.

Let's Do This Thing!!!!!

Charlie Gonzales
01-21-2010, 11:28 PM
What about may/june durring shad season, or that too close to Spey O Rama???

Rick J
01-22-2010, 01:23 PM
Charlie - I think late spring would be a good time also as less folks would be conflicted about going steelhead fishing as opposed to a spey clave! I certainly agree with Don that whatever date is picked should accomodate as much as possible Gary, Bob and Kerry's schedules!

Tom Burton
01-22-2010, 02:22 PM
Great Idea!! I am willing to help and I know others who will help as well.

Cal
01-23-2010, 12:59 AM
Thanks for all the responses, ideas, and offers of help.

I am currently contacting a good number of spey rod builders to see when they might be available and what preferences they have for time of year and other issues such as local campgrounds, inexpensive motels etc.

There are currrently at least four spey events during the year which happen mostly in the spring and summer, so fall seems like a good option for our Spey Clave.

In addition to rod builders we need to identify spey casting instructors and guides who cater to spey fishing in Northern California who might also want to be involved.

I am learning much about how the Sandy River Spey Clave came to be, and fortunately, in the beginning it was very informal, so we may not have to plan the hell out of this event in order to make it happen and to be fun for everyone.

Keep posting your ideas and talk it up with any builders, instructors and guides you want to see here.

Rick J
01-23-2010, 11:46 AM
most of the guides could be tough in the fall as many will be guiding including our own Mike McCune who visits regularly though he is busy really all year with maybe the exception of late spring early summer (or winter which is really iffy for a clave) when spring steelhead ing is over and he has not yet left for Alaska.

But expect Jeff and maybe even Simon might be available and perhaps Tim Rajeff

Lance Gray
01-23-2010, 09:39 PM
I agree with Bill, it should be in the fall. The American would be ideal. It would be great for everyone. It is really nice having things on the water. People can not just try new spey or switch rods with all kinds of lines, but everything. Lines, reels, flies and even get ideas on waders, vest and packs. It gives people like me an oppurnity to see what other guys use and why. It also educates everyone at one time. Great concept, great idea! I will throw my hat in. Let's get this going!
Lance
530-517-2204
http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

Grampa Spey
01-24-2010, 09:03 AM
In the fall we start to run into half pounder and other probable Steelhead opportunities.

Charlie - I think late spring would be a good time also as less folks would be conflicted about going steelhead fishing as opposed to a spey clave! I certainly agree with Don that whatever date is picked should accomodate as much as possible Gary, Bob and Kerry's schedules!

Don Powell
01-24-2010, 12:55 PM
April 9, 10, 11 Spey O Rama
April 17 Kiene's Annual Expo
April 24 Trout season opener
May 1, 2 Dec Hogan classes at Kiene's
May 8, 9 Open?
May 14, 15 16 Sandy River Spey Clave
May 21 Bass-N-Fly Challenge

These are the events I am aware of...please correct if I have any dates wrong and add anything else you may be aware of happening during this time period.

Pretty clear this is going to take some planning- instructors, rod builders, and manufacturer's reps all have their calendars in addition

Anne Vitale
01-25-2010, 01:59 PM
I vote for May or June and the American River is ideal for this sort of thing. The Spey-O-Rama gig is usually held in the first or second weekend of April. If we allow a little time --but not too much time-- between the events we can get out of towners back down here to our clave. Another attraction would be the shad. An evening or two in May or June on an American River shad run, fishing with light wt spey rods would give our event it's own meaning........Anne

NVswitch
01-25-2010, 09:52 PM
I think a spey clave in Sacramento on the American would be great. Timing is always tough. Some additional ideas: Having it on a thursday or friday before the SF Spey-o-rama
or even in January during the weekend of the Sportsman Expo in Sacramento.
Just a couple out of the box ideas to save the product men extra trips down.
Love going to Spey-o-rama to test out equipment but whished there was moving water to play on.

NVswitch