PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News: AR Report 1/18

westslope
01-18-2010, 10:28 PM
Fished the Lower American today w/o any success. Drifted from Sunrise to Gristmill........dead drifted nymphs along the way and swung flies while we walk/waded several runs. Watched the water go from clear to about a foot of visibility by take out. Tons of rain which I can deal with, but the wind got the best us.

Almost forgot, the breaking news part.......some jackass broke into my Tacoma at Gristmill and stole some goods. Nothing super serious as we made sure not too leave anything worth anything in the car. Super bummed about the break in and wanted to let you all know to watch out at Gristmill.

Best of luck to all looking for steelies on the American!

westslope

Jeannie W.
01-19-2010, 02:08 AM
Thanks for the info on Gristmill!

Finsane
01-19-2010, 06:51 AM
I always leave my car unlocked with nothing inside while parked along the A. That eliminates any broken glass.

westslope
01-19-2010, 09:24 AM
No broken glass this time. They pried open the passenger side door handle assembly and were able to unlock the doors somehow.

I talked with Mike from Mike's Guide Service and he said that a bunch of the thieves are on bikes and are most likely from the local neighborhoods surrounding the different areas adjacent to the parkway. Just watching and waiting! I filed a report with the park ranger and he said that there are 1-3 break-ins a week, yet they've busted some people a week or two ago before they could get away with the stolen property. Hopefully the pressure stays at current levels with the economic times and all.

westslope

flyguy1
01-19-2010, 10:10 AM
fished el manto sunday am for nothing. When I was leaving a couple that was walking thier dogs told me they saw a kid on a bike checking out my car and the truck next to mine. The kid clamied he was looking for a bike trail. The couple told the kid he was full of sh-t and knew what he was up to. The kid took off. I did not have anything in the car worth taking. Thanks to the couple's action, I may have avoided a booken window.

Glad there are people out there watching out for others and are not afraid to speak up.

speyfool
01-19-2010, 12:48 PM
When I fish the American these days... I park in the neighborhoods and walk in. Even if I have to walk quite a ways. I can't know for sure, but my gut instinct tells me it is safer to park on these streets than in a parking lot along the river. I even found a local home owner who encouraged me to park close to his driveway as to look like I lived there.

If in a parking lot, it seems so easy for a person on a bike to break in, grab something and peddle off down a bike trail long before someone can catch them. Even a cop would have problems unless they were on a bike too.

inclinejj
01-19-2010, 01:16 PM
A friend of mine said there is some kind of master key that is floating around that pretty much gets the thieves into any car?

Heard it from a couple police officers also..

Down here in the Bay Area they went thru every car on the street even a couple parked right under street lights..

Also something with the top part of an old spark plug that someone shatters the window but doesn't set off the alarm. (still haven't heard how this works yet)

I would leave nothing in plain sight and parking out on the street and walking into the area you are fishing is a good idea..

Or try to get someone to drop you off..

Ed Wahl
01-19-2010, 06:41 PM
Sorry to hear about your break in Westslope.

Were you parked up in the lot or out on the bar?

Ed

westslope
01-19-2010, 10:00 PM
I was parked just up from the bar along the fence across from looked like a bunch of new gravel in the parking area. In hindsight I could have parked my rig down on the bar with an empty drift boat trailer. It is a little more out in the open.

westslope