PDA

View Full Version : Line for 7wt Z-Axis switch rod?

DaveB
01-17-2010, 10:45 AM
I received this rod as a gift recently and was wondering what line(s) to use with it? I was thinking about the Airflo Speydicator and saw that someone was recommending a 6wt line for the 7wt rod - is this right?

I imagine I will mostly nymph for steelhead with the rod but might also like to get a sinktip system too. Any line recommendations for this specific rod?

Thanks!

SHigSpeed
01-17-2010, 11:57 AM
Nice gift! Can I be the gifter's friend!?

As for line, Sage has designed a line to be paired with that. Sage indicator taper fly line, 7 WF Float, 290 grain. With switch and spey rods generally you want to throw a HEAVIER than labeled line, so a 6 weight line on that rod would not cast very well I think.

_SHig

stevenj24k
01-17-2010, 12:18 PM
if you're talking about the 7110-4 - then the line match would be a rio skagit or skagit short - 350 grains minimum - don't waste your time with a standard 6 or 7 weight line designed for single handed applications

jayclarkflyfishing
01-17-2010, 12:57 PM
I cast a friends 7110-4 paired with a 425 grain Rio Skagit Compact line last year and I must say that this setup was a ROCKET!If I owned this rod this is the setup I would use.

Jay

SHigSpeed
01-17-2010, 02:13 PM
I guess this proves that the line depends on the application. For throwing big nasties, the heavy Skagit lines would probably do the trick, but for more finesse nymphing with small to no indicators, the Sage line would probably be better suited.

Isn't this stuff fun!? :)

_SHig

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-17-2010, 07:17 PM
If you are going to mostly fish it single handed with indicators you might look at going up 2 line sizes (WF9F) with any Steelhead full floater.

For some sinking with small/medium size flies you should be able to use a selection of 10' sinking Poly/Versi leaders on that SH line.

If you are going to fish two handed for winter steelhead with fast tips and big flies you could use a short Skagit line.

An Airflo Skagit Compact 420 grain (23') head or a new Rio Skagit Flight 425 grain (23.5') head works good with that rod.

You can then use some factory 15' sink-tips (cut back to 10-12') or some new Rio MOW sink-tips.

Craig Nielsen
01-18-2010, 01:22 AM
Bill:

I agree with your great advice. I have fished a number of the lines designed specifically for nymphing with a host of switch rods and have been disappointed. While some of these lines have heavier tips to help to get good turnover, particularly when roll or spey casting the tapers are a bit too short for the longer casts and mending that make switch rods such exceptional nymphing tools. I agree that the Steelhead/Salmon tapers remain the best solution.

For heavy head work with larger flies the new short headed Skagits are also hard to beat. The new compact Scandi lines cast great but are best suited for dry line swinging and light tip work. There are a couple articles on switch rods (http://www.shastatrout.com/category/reviews/equipment) reprinted from California Fly Fisher on the ShastaTrout website if you have an interest.

Dave, I hope you enjoy your new magic wand and find a bright winter steelhead to dance with very soon!

DaveB
01-18-2010, 10:49 AM
_Shig, Jay, Bill and Craig, thanks for the great responses. Craig, your articles were very informative. I think for now I'll probably go with both a nymphing line and something like the skagit short. Can't wait to use the new rod, hopefully this rain will bring in some more fish!

cruncher
01-18-2010, 04:19 PM
I had picked up the Sage Indicator 320 grain line for a previous rod I had but have now got a Sage 7110, which says the 290 is a better match.

Can I still get away with using this 320gr line on her, for nymphing and indi fishing, and maybe toss on a sinktip for some swinging action here and there?

If that rod can handle a 420 skagit, I don't see that that would be a problem, no?

cmgfly
01-18-2010, 08:14 PM
I think you going to be better off with the 320 than the 290 (320 may even be too light). My friend uses that rod with a 10 wt Rio Steelhead taper. I've fished with it many times. He fishes it mainly w/ indicators and casts it mostly two handed. If you are going to primarily cast it two handed, then go with the recommendations that have been given to up line at least a couple of line weights.