PDA

View Full Version : Mokelumne?

Jaybinder
01-13-2010, 02:31 PM
First, how is this pronounced?

Second, anyone heading up there next Thursday (1-21) or Friday (1-22)?

It looks like the flows are good but I'm not sure if the rain next week will blow it out. If you have any specifics you would like to share please PM me.

Thank you
Jason

wjorg
01-13-2010, 04:06 PM
Moe-kall-um-knee

Isnt that the river with the secret Steelhead run?

Pimpinmeat
01-13-2010, 04:25 PM
SHHHHHHH! Lets try to keep it a secret.:)
I doesn't really get blown out unless the let a a lot of water out of Camanche. There is a creek below the dam that will muddy the water up pretty good if it does rain a bunch. It could help out if it's not to much. This is one of my favorite places, been fishing there since I was a teenager.

Digger38
01-13-2010, 04:39 PM
Yeah....I lived in Lodi and fished it quite a bit when I lived there. It's a nice quite little river. I would use my 5wt and catch some nice smaller trout there.......I wish I still lived there :(.

Bob Laskodi
01-13-2010, 05:41 PM
Hardly!!!! EBMUD says that there ain't any steelhead in the Moke!!!!! And they are sure managing the river to accomplish that goal!!!!

fishinjohnny
01-13-2010, 06:06 PM
I've been looking at the map and can't figure if there are any spots to access the Moke with a pontoon boat. Does anyone have knowledge of a put in and take out area? Had a friend with access to the river when I worked in Lodi so I checked it out but it was covered in thick vegetation and high banks.

Jet
01-14-2010, 03:33 PM
Not sure which section of the Moke you are talking about but the one below Comanche is nice float. You put in at the fish hatchery at McIntire Road and drift till you hit the second highway bridge. The second bridge is loacted on Mackville road and Collier road. Mackville road comes out in the town of Clements. It's hard for me to remember how long a float but I recall it was about 4-6 hours. It's been about 30 years and we were goofing off and not fishing at the time. I plan to float it one of these days once I get my son a pontoon boat. I recommend eating a Penny Special at the "W" in Clements. I took my son and brother there recently after fishing the Comanche pond. We actually met Penny who the burger was named after and who happens to be the owner. It used to be an A&W back in the day. Not sure how good its been fishing since its been a few years. Should have some nice wild fish as I hear it is no longer stocked.

Jet

fishinjohnny
01-15-2010, 12:15 AM
Thanks for the info Jet. I will check out that area when I get back over there. Also, if you want to float it and need an extra pontoon for the boy just holler. I have an extra. John

Salvage
01-15-2010, 09:25 AM
Hi all,

I only fished it on New Years Day but am a member of the Delta Fly Fishers who shared their opinions on their annual get-together on this river on that day. The conscience was that current hatchery and water management has really reduced the steelhead fishery lately compared to the past. At times, there can be good resident trout fishing if you are willing to drift to better holding waters downstream of the dam. Based on some preliminary results from hatchery steelhead released with telemetry tags, survival of the outmigrating fish really are low compared with those fish who become residents.

Cheers,
Salvage

Dustin Rocksvold
02-03-2010, 08:19 AM
I have had some good days fishing the Moke. If you get downstream, away from the McIntire Road access there are some really nice spots. I landed a 24.5" fish there a few years ago, March of 2007 IIRC.
Here is one trip report:

http://www.billhegerguideservice.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12:mokelumne-river-float-7-27-2009&catid=10:Mokelumne&Itemid=15