PDA

View Full Version : sonar/gps recommendations

george2008
01-11-2010, 09:33 AM
I'm looking for a new sonar/gps for my 15 ft klamath.
I only use the boat in the delta.
Don't want to spend over $500 (less i better).
Color is good but I'm not sure it's necessary.
I want something that is very reliable and will last me a long time.
Looking for something that will give me the most bang for my buck.

Anyone have recommendations?

thanks,
George

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-11-2010, 09:48 AM
If you want the easiest GPS go for a Garmin fish finder/GPS combo unit in your price range.

Look at the Garmin 440s

If you want the most popular fish finder go for the Lowrance fish finder/GPS combo model.

ted1
01-11-2010, 10:34 AM
If you want to go the inexpensive route, look at the Eagle cuda 350. I bought mine through cabelas for 200. It works well for my needs. Does not come with a speed gauge, which is the only downside I can see. I have only used it 2x, but the map feature is very easy to use, just not a big screen.

Dave4622
01-13-2010, 08:30 PM
I use the Lowrance M68/C unit on my boat and it has been very reliable and accurate. No problems in 3 years with it and I am not the most delicate of user's.

briansII
01-14-2010, 02:01 PM
I bought a Lowrance LMS 522(now discontinued)on sale for around your price range. I looked at a lot of units before I bought the Lowrance. One reason I chose Lowrance, was we already had experience with the brand. Another reason was, you can buy aftermarket mapping upgrades. Navionics has some niffty upgrades for Lowrance, Hummingbird, Raymarine, ect. Garmin uses only Garmin software.

briansII

george2008
01-18-2010, 07:43 PM
thanks for the advice.
I looked at a couple of recommended gps/sonar.
Some have dual frequency transducers while other are single frequency.
Does it make a noticeable difference when we're talking about using it on the delta where we're fishing water that's less than 20 feet deep?

thanks again,
George

Mr T
01-19-2010, 09:11 AM
I am a fan of dual freq for even shallow water.

It comes down to cone angle as much as anything else.

Typically the higher freq will have better resolution, but a narrow angle of coverage. The cone on the 200 runs about 12/13 degrees, and on the 50 it is 45 degrees. I'm looking at a bigger piece of the bottom on the 50 so it helps find fish.
On my unit, I run the 50 Khz and 200 Khz side by side- the 50 tells me if they are in the area of the boat, and if they show on the 200 at the same time, they are under me.

As far as color, I ran monochrome for years, and thought that color was a bunch of hype.

Now, I'm sold. Color helps me find fish right on the bottom that might not come back as well on monochrome. Is it worth it? For me the answer is yes.

In the 500 range there are a lot of good deals; for the delta I would focus more on the GPS side and getting a good chip (navionics for example). When the weather turns nasty and foggy, I like a trail to come home on!

briansII
01-20-2010, 10:47 AM
I am a fan of dual freq for even shallow water.

It comes down to cone angle as much as anything else.

Typically the higher freq will have better resolution, but a narrow angle of coverage. The cone on the 200 runs about 12/13 degrees, and on the 50 it is 45 degrees. I'm looking at a bigger piece of the bottom on the 50 so it helps find fish.
On my unit, I run the 50 Khz and 200 Khz side by side- the 50 tells me if they are in the area of the boat, and if they show on the 200 at the same time, they are under me.

As far as color, I ran monochrome for years, and thought that color was a bunch of hype.

Now, I'm sold. Color helps me find fish right on the bottom that might not come back as well on monochrome. Is it worth it? For me the answer is yes.

In the 500 range there are a lot of good deals; for the delta I would focus more on the GPS side and getting a good chip (navionics for example). When the weather turns nasty and foggy, I like a trail to come home on!

That's great info. Thanks!

For what it's worth, the OEM Delta mapping that came in my Lowrance unit leaves something to be desired. Not very accurate or detailed. I have a Navionics card on the way. :-) From what I can tell the Navionic chip will have accurate mapping for the Delta, plus 1' bottom contour. That will be a BIG plus.

briansII

Mr T
01-20-2010, 08:15 PM
That's great info. Thanks!

For what it's worth, the OEM Delta mapping that came in my Lowrance unit leaves something to be desired. Not very accurate or detailed. I have a Navionics card on the way. :-) From what I can tell the Navionic chip will have accurate mapping for the Delta, plus 1' bottom contour. That will be a BIG plus.

briansII

Yeah I had an ifinder pro with a chip, and it did get me in some trouble out in montezuma slough.

FWIW, I now run a navioncs silver chip in the raymarine I have and it does all I need it to. They say gold and platinum are better...