PDA

View Full Version : Jay Fair article in California Fly Fisher

gene goss
01-10-2010, 03:30 PM
What a nice article that Bill Sunderlland did on Jay Fair in the Feb. 2010 California Fly Fisher......it looks like Jay and his son will be guiding on Upper Klamath Lake this year.....this is Denny Rickards Lake where the seal bugger was born......hmmmmm.....wow....we could have the seal bugger versus the wiggle tail shoot out on the Fourth of July at Rocky Point.....what do you think Denny, and Jay.

Tracy Chimenti
01-11-2010, 10:43 PM
I will definitely make it up there to fish with Jay. That would be cool. Klammath was on fire two-years ago. Lake was high and fishing was outof the world.

T

Scott V
01-12-2010, 09:31 AM
Road trip, I am up for that friendly competition.

SHigSpeed
01-12-2010, 09:37 AM
Road trip, I am up for that friendly competition.

Down!! That stillwater calls to me like a siren to mariners...

_SHig

michaeln
01-12-2010, 10:33 AM
this is Denny Rickards Lake

Per a recent phone conversation I had with Denny, he no longer guides on that lake... something about them having raised the fee drastically for guide licenses.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-12-2010, 10:56 AM
I believe Klamath Lake in southern Oregon has the largest average size trout available to us here in Nor Cal.

Seem like 20-30 years ago more anglers from Nor Cal were fishing Klamath Lake?

Fish over 20 pounds have been caught in that lake and it has a long history in fly fishing.

Seems like people would drive longer distances to fish back in those days?

__________________________________________________ __________________

We use to take a week long trip annually where we fished our way from Sacramento to around Bend, Oregon.

We stopped along the way coming and going too.

First stop was the Upper Sacramento River, then Williamson River, then on to Crane Prairie Reservoir.

Once there we fished several wonderful famous lakes.

Like Hosmer Lake for land locked Atlantic Salmon and big Brook Trout.

Davis Lake for shallow water fishing for feeding Rainbows.

Wickiup Reservoir for big Brown Trout eating stunted land locked Silver Salmon?

But mostly we fished Crane Prairie Reservoir which was unbelievable in the day.

gene goss
01-12-2010, 12:08 PM
ROAD TRIP.....ROAD TRIP.....ROAD TRIP..... Klamath Lake is a verrrry biggggg lake.....with limited accress.....a float tube would limit you......you will need somthing with a gas motor on it.....the bigger the boat the more water you can look at......the best time to fish this lake is July.....the warm water in the lake will push the trout to the cool waters of the springs....mouth of the Wood River....and the Williamson River......the Williamson River also has a Hex hatch coming off in the evening.....its almost unbeliveable....I'm planning on going up right after the fourth of July.