PDA

View Full Version : Delta Memories from Way Way Back.....

OceanSunfish
01-08-2010, 02:03 PM
I had the opporunity to camp out on Webb Tract in the early fall of '72 or '73. Our youth group had been invited to 'camp' in and around the structures adjacent to the levee along Fisherman's Cut nearer to the SJ River. I think those exact structures are still there today?!

I remember very little other than the fields were filled with old corn stalks and a gentle rain in the evening that settled the dust. Of course, we fished and even went for a swim. And, this is where I need a little assistance in the memory department.

I vaguely remember swimming in an area on the NE corner of the tract. The problem is that I remember swimming on a long flat that led out quite a bit into the SJ River to what I believe was towards the SA Shoal or the mouth of the Moke. I distinctly remember a lot of trees shading the bank too as well as trees on the opposite far bank to what I believe is the Pirate Lair today. The flat was loaded with clams.

Everytime I'm in that area of the delta fishing, I try to recall the area I described above. Obviously, it's gone today as the tract is pretty much surrounded by rip-rap with no sandy beach or flats with trees.

I surmise the beach, trees and flat were removed as part of the plans to strengthen levees and define channels, etc.

Any insight from some of the 'senior' delta rats?

spinfisher
01-16-2010, 10:57 PM
:p
I fished there in Dec., don't know how it was before a couple of years ago, but I like fishing out of there. Close to Sj and the moke ,Potato slough and franks tract.