01-07-2010, 12:24 AM
Here is their web site will all the information:

http://www.sportsexpos.com/

San Mateo show = Jan 14-17, 2010

Sacramento show = Jan 21-24, 2010

Thursdays through Sundays

Mrs.Finsallaround
01-19-2010, 04:14 PM
A few BB members will be tying at the Sacramento show this weekend... I know Paul will be out there Thurs, Fri and Sat evenings.8)

I'll be at the GBF booth Fri/Sat night.\\:D/

Stop by and say hi!;-)

Jay Murakoshi
01-19-2010, 06:39 PM
Just finished up with the San Mateo ISE show. Hopefully there will be a bigger crowd in Sacramento. But with no presentation theater :-(.
I will be there hanging out on Friday afternoon/evening and tying in the theater on Saturday at 2:30pm. I will be showing how I tie up the Hula Girl and tying up a bucktail bait fish pattern that I've been using for bass and in bigger sizes for the baja fish.
If anyone is interested, I will be bringing ( if there's interest) a box of buck tails. I sold quite a few buck tails at the San Mateo show. It was just about the only materials being sold. I have white tails priced from $1.00 to $2.00 and dyed tails for $2.50. There are a lot of white tails that are great quality.
If you're interested, send me an email so I can get excited about carrying the big box.

see you at Cal Expo

Jay

I will also be video taping a few tyers in "tyers row". I taped John Ryzanych tying up an air head popper. Nothing fancy, just a step by step on the process.

David Lee
01-19-2010, 08:15 PM
$2.00 Bucktails rock !!! You should bring down a pile of goodies , Jay -

D.~

Lance Gray
01-19-2010, 10:06 PM
Can not wait to see all of guys in Sac. I will be tying on Thursday and Sunday. Beleive it or not I will be fishing on Saturday I hope! I will see you guys there. I still have not pick the flies I going to tie. Going to have to think about that.
Lance
http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

Sturmer White
01-19-2010, 10:50 PM
Hey Jay
I am always good for a few buck tails.

David Lee
01-20-2010, 08:05 AM
Can not wait to see all of guys in Sac.

I'll second that !!

I will be in Tyer's row from 11:00 AM-4:00PM Thursday the 21st , all day Friday , 12:00 to 7:00 Saturday , and 2:00 'till 5:00 Sunday - hope y'all wander down for incessant chattering/free tying lessons/general troublemaking .

Seeya !!

David

gene goss
01-20-2010, 08:59 AM
I'll be there on tyer's row Sun. 10-2.....blending some color's into a wiggle tail....my buddy Jim Holmes will also be there tying a Skwala.

Scott V
01-20-2010, 01:40 PM
For those that are dying to meet me, which I know there are alot of you.:p I will be at the Granite Bay Fly Casters booth on Saturday from noon til 2:00.

Jay Murakoshi
01-20-2010, 03:47 PM
My mail box received a lot of emails regarding the buck tails. I'll load up some more white and dyed bucktails and bring them on Friday

Jay

Jay Murakoshi
01-22-2010, 06:52 PM
Arrived at the Sac ISE show this morning and was surprized to see the people standing in line. Compared to San Mateo there's definitely a larger crowd here at the Sac show. Also, a lot more fly fishing exhibitors or exhibitors that cater to the fly fisher.

I sold a lot of buck tails this morning but still have enough to get by tomorrow. If you're interested, I'll be hanging around the tying theater the first part of the morning and then I'll be walking the show. I'll be in the tying theater at 2:30pm doing my thing then after that, I hang for a little while before hitting the road

Hope too see all of you at the show tomorrow

jay

Darian
01-22-2010, 09:18 PM
Good show,.... Better than last year. I wandered through all of the halls and had a great time. :smile:

Especially enjoyed talking to the proprietors of Baja Fly Fishing. Good conversation about fly fishing for Pez Gallo in Baja/Costa Rica, etc. Saw his version of a Rasta fly for Roosters and a fly that looks a lot like an Air Head pattern but isn't.... Baja Fly Fishing had two booths and the second booth had some small (1 1/2") Sea Habit type flies for fishing Yellowfin Tuna in October. Also got to explore the tyers experiences with Milk Fish down there. Had all of my suspicions confirmed and now have a strategy for catchin' one on a fly. :nod: Didn't see Jay M., tho. :confused:

Saw a Tracker bass boat that really is laid out well for fly fishing the Delta. :cool: Ate and drank the usual stuff and bought the requisite amount of stuff, as well. Bring on Pleasanton.... :D :D

Add: Found a new fly tying material in the hunting hall at a hat vendors booth. Camel hyde. The fur is soft (like all marsupials), dark tan in color around the shoulders to almost a blue dun color above the hind quarters. Guard hair is about 3/4" in length. The underfur is light tan to cream colored. Looks like it might be some of the best dubbing I've seen.

Jay Murakoshi
01-23-2010, 07:56 AM
darian,

were you there on thursday? I showed up on Friday and I'm here on Saturday. I'm in the tying theater this afternoon and will be on the road around 4 or 5pm. Must be getting old,
I don't hang around the shows all day, like I use to. I left early last night and went and had dinner then back to sitting in the motel room.

Jay

BigOkieWhiteBoy916
01-23-2010, 09:03 AM
I'll second that !!

I will be in Tyer's row from 11:00 AM-4:00PM Thursday the 21st , all day Friday , 12:00 to 7:00 Saturday , and 2:00 'till 5:00 Sunday - hope y'all wander down for incessant chattering/free tying lessons/general troublemaking .

Seeya !!

David

Show off http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/tongue/tongue0001.gif

amoeba
01-23-2010, 01:56 PM
Friday ISE review: ehhh. fewer exhibitors, and fewer new booths; a whole bunch of sharp-hooked clousers available at Hill's discount flies for cheap - for clumsy people with little time to tie like me. But Sage didn't even show up. Seemed like a light crowd too. Almanor presentation (making effective pond-smelt imitations and trolling with them) and Lowrance workshops were very well attended.

The $15 entry and $10 parking fees are a bit much. Park at Kohl's and walk.

Probably worth going to on a damp dreary day like yesterday, especially if you're not planning on the Pleasanton show in Feb; but wish it had more.

Lance Gray
01-23-2010, 10:09 PM
The show for me was great and I will be tying again tomorrow first thing in the theater. I walked the show and as a hole I think Sacramento ISE show was better than the San Mateo Show. Just my feelings. I also would like to say that the venders and everyone involved in this show have been more relaxed. Last year there was some rude people trying to book trips, sell old merchandise and just not happy. This year venders seem to have realized that does not work. All in all a great show.

Lance
530-517-2204
http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

Ed Wahl
01-23-2010, 10:47 PM
Well, I went out there today around 12:30. After looking up and down the streets for some free parking I decided to just go ahead and pony up the 10 bucks to park. At least they have security there.
I had to cruise around for a while to find a spot, you'd have thought the State Fair was on for all the cars.

I walked over to the gate and forked over another $15.00 to get in. At the turnstyle the guy who tore my ticket asked me "how's it going?", I told him so far I'm down 25 bucks and have'nt seen anything yet. Bs'd with him a bit, he laughed when I told him I'd whined at the parking gate too. Sacramento is still a small enough venue that the workers are still people, not invisible automatons.

Walking up the ramp I ran into Bluegrass Bill, and another jawing session broke out. Good seeing a familiar face right off the bat.

So I took a deep breath and entered the 'Fly Fishing Building'. Geez, you couldn't move at all in there. Beat a hasty retreat back out the door. I went around to the end of the building where the jumping dogs were and went in that way.

What do you know, right there as you walk in was Fly Tyers Row. And good ole David Lee doing his thing for a small crowd. I elbowed my up to the counter and jostled a big guy, turned out to be Lee Soares and we got to yakkin. Then Guppy popped up.

The B.S. was really flying.

I called Scott V.'s cel to see if he was still around, he was. We met up at the Fly tying Theater where Jay Murakoshi was on stage.

We moved back over to the 'row' and Paul and Robin Egan had just shown up.

Took a trip through the boat building, and looked around the fly fishing exhibits a bit, then back to the 'row' again and ran into Bill Carnazzo. Bill and I share a common interest in the Rubicon River so I was able to get updated on the status of the FERC relicensing plan as well as just plain BSing some more.

Due to some disturbing news, there will be more on the FERC relicensing later.

Let's see, I bought one 8 doller beer, and one nine dollar nasty pork sandwich. That and the price of parking and entrance.

My impressions of the show. Just opinions, worth what you paid for them.

The show, to get in only, is way overpriced. 25.00 just to make it to the entrance is to me grossly out of line. Everything I saw for sale there I can find at retail shops here for the same or maybe even lower price. That is, everything I care about buying anyway. Is the extra money I pay to shop there just so I can see dogs jumping off a platform? I know they draw crowds but to me it's just silly. They used to have actual pointing dog demonstrations.

The fly fishing building was packed. The exhibit booths were crammed with people every time I went by. That I think is a good thing. Maybe Sacramento should have it's own flyfishing show.

I don't think I have the requisite 'herd' mentality that it takes to enjoy these kinds of shows. Maybe I'm just wierd that way. I'd so much rather buy what I need from a small uncrowded store than jump into that mob.

The saving factor, for me, who just dropped 25 clams to get there, was meeting up with so many board members.

If I met you and didn't mention your name, just pipe up. Either I was distracted by trying to hold two conversations at once or, more likely, just forgot your name. Happens more than I would like.

One last thing. Funny to me at least.

Right as I went to say goodby to David Lee a stranger walks up to his spot at the counter and says, "They tell me I need to see you about a crawdad pattern for Smallmouth Bass".
As I was unwittingly in on the testing phase for that fly, which consisted of David tossing me a fly saying "try this out", I just had to laugh.

The Eight Weight Craw's fame is growing.

It's my go to crawdad fly.

Ed

Terry Thomas
01-24-2010, 10:43 AM
Yes, the price on the show and parking is really getting to be a problem. However, this seems to be a sign of the times. My wife and I went to see Avatar at the IMAX on Friday. The senior price was $14.00 each...$28.00. We parked in the city lot around the corner during the show (@3 hours). I almost fainted when the person at the toll booth told me how much it cost for that short time period...$16.50!!!!!!!!! That would be $44.50 to see a movie. The times are a changin!

sgr
01-24-2010, 11:33 AM
Bill and I share a common interest in the Rubicon River so I was able to get updated on the status of the FERC relicensing plan as well as just plain BSing some more.

Due to some disturbing news, there will be more on the FERC relicensing later.

Ed

Aw heck...what's going on? I thought it was going to be a good thing.
Please, don't wait too long to update us.

Jay Murakoshi
01-24-2010, 09:04 PM
My sales were fantastic....I sold over 125 buck tails. At a buck, you could use them for wisp brooms and still come out ahead. I hope to take a bunch to Pleasanton. I've thought about a booth with just materials but do you know how many $1.00 buck tails, 50 cent packs of dubbing, yards of cactus chennile and boxes and boxes of hooks I would need to sell just to cover my booth fee not counting the gas, hotel, meals and 4 days spent in a booth.
I did the very first ISE show in San Mateo. I sold only flies. I brought 175 dozen flies with me in Plano boxes and sold out before the first day was over. This is when it use to be a 5 day show. The next 4 days I was tying flies and having people wait as each once came off the vise. At 50 cents a fly, you couldn't go wrong.... It only took me one year to realize it wasn't worth it. Then years later, Ken & I had a booth at the San Mateo show - never again.

Hope to see you at the Pleasanton show.... I just found out our schedule.

Friday - Baja presentation 2:30pm

Sunday - Fish Fighting Techniques (hands on) 10:30am Ken & Jay

I'm sure the rest of the schedule will be posted

Jay

David Lee
01-25-2010, 07:57 AM
I had a great time tying for 4 days , as usual .

It was fantastic to visit w/ my old Friends , make new Friends , and meet and chatter away with all sorts of different folks ! Hanging out with all the pro tyers is fun beyond words , and I am insanely lucky to be there !!

Thanks to everyone who stopped by for a visit or stayed a while and chatted - you are the best !!

David

gene goss
01-25-2010, 09:00 AM
WOW......what a great time i had yesterday.....this was my fourth year of tying at the ISE show and i still get nervous....yesterday a young man ask me if i could put a tail on his bass lures.....hmmmmm.....a challenge.....i told him if he could take the trible hook off the lures i would put a tail on it for him.....putting a tail on was challenging.....but i got the job done.....he said that i made his day.....and he left with new tails on his bass lures.
Bill Carnazzo did a drawing for the fly tyer's for the ISE show.....we had to tie a fly and enter it for the drawing....Marty Holmes reached in to the can and pulled my name out for a Gary Borger Light Touch 8ft 4 weight rod and a Light Touch Reel.....WOW is all i could say.....then Susan Goss reached in the can and pulled David Lee name out and he won all the flies that we tied for the drawing.

ps....Robin my computer won't let post any picture here maybe you can post a couple from the one's that i sent paul thanks

Mrs.Finsallaround
01-25-2010, 05:33 PM
Ron English (Ray Ito in the background)
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f97/Tggr514/ISE01.jpg

Ray Ito
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f97/Tggr514/ISE02-2.jpg

Paul Egan (paulegan81)
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f97/Tggr514/Paul-flytying-ISE-1.jpg

I guess a couple of guys are coming to Paul's beginning tying class this next weekend and signing up for GBF, just so they can take his class... :thumbsup:

Fats
01-25-2010, 10:21 PM
I had a great time tying for 4 days , as usual .

It was fantastic to visit w/ my old Friends , make new Friends , and meet and chatter away with all sorts of different folks ! Hanging out with all the pro tyers is fun beyond words , and I am insanely lucky to be there !!

Thanks to everyone who stopped by for a visit or stayed a while and chatted - you are the best !!

David

It was fun getting a chance to talk with you David. Thanks for the compliments my friend!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-26-2010, 08:53 AM
Thanks to all the fly tiers because it is these events that attract new people to our great sport.

Jay Murakoshi
01-26-2010, 11:13 AM
Hey Bill,

I think your Fly Fishing Fair in April draws more attention to the sport than most shows. It's great to see the exhibitors and clubs that show up every year.
The best thing is there's no $6.00 hot dogs and $2.50 bottles of water.

You and Marilyn and the staff of Kiene's do a fantastic job in putting this event together.

It's definitely a fun packed day. Can't wait until April

Jay

Ed Wahl
01-26-2010, 08:12 PM
I'm in total agreement with you Jay.

Bill's event can be considered Sacramento's own Fly Fishing Show.

Ed

David Lee
01-27-2010, 07:09 AM
It was fun getting a chance to talk with you David. Thanks for the compliments my friend!

Nice meeting You , OldTroutBelly , and Maury Hatch , as well !!

Dunno why I thought you'd be older guys ?

While I love the Kiene's Expo ..... the best time I ever had at a sports-show-kinda-thing was the Warmwater Expo @ Kienes . A shame we don't do that one every year ....

D.~

k.hanley
01-27-2010, 10:33 AM
"Warmwater Expo @ Kienes"...
David that's because it was a Team Bass-N-Fly event (Bill and Marilyn helped sponsor it). We are considering doing another one at some point (perhaps sooner rather than later?).

Thanks for the interest and support of our work. We certainly don't take that for granted.
Cheers, Ken

k.hanley
01-27-2010, 10:43 AM
Yup I would agree 100% that Kiene's Spring Fair is one of the best events in the year. Every year! It has been an honor to be a part of that experience over the years. Well done Bill, Marilyn, and crew!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers, Ken

OceanSunfish
01-27-2010, 08:36 PM
All the various "events" that Bill has put on in the past have been fantastic. But they wouldn't be nearly as "fantastic" if it wasn't for the generousity of those who freely share their thoughts, skills, and ideas during those events. (Not a lot of whispering, if you know what I mean.....)