PDA

View Full Version : Vote today to for Silver Salmon

Mike McKenzie
01-04-2010, 12:47 PM
Vote in the Marin Independent Journal today for more protections for coho... we are in for a big battle in Marin in the coming weeks. We need you!

Vote is on homepage at http://www.marinij.com/ on the right side of the page...

Here's the story....
http://www.marinij.com/marinnews/ci_14113750

I can remember the "good ol' days" catchin' Silvers at the mouth of Papermill/Lagunitas Creeks at the head of Tomales Bay..It sure would be nice to see them come back!!

Mike

Darian
01-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Thanks for posting this Mike.... Sad commentary on Silvers in Papermill Creek. I recall some great times fishing for them during my years living in the Bay Area. Soon, we may only be able to read about catches there in books by Russel Chatham and others.... :( :(

I voted.

Mike McKenzie
01-04-2010, 08:41 PM
Darian,

Yep, it's sad to see them almost gone. When they were up in the haed of the bay gettin' ready to go "up the creek" they were the "fish of a 1,000 casts" but when you hooked up it was worth every single cast!
Thanks for your vote,

Mike

STEELIES/26c3
01-05-2010, 12:03 AM
Thanks yet again Mike~

I've never met you but every where I go on the internet as relates to fishing and more specifically fisheries protection.... I find you in the conservation section, always doing your utmost to fight the good fight.

I fish more than most people sleep and work combined but I would sooner give up the sport than see my favorite fish species go to extinction because humans were too apathetic and ignorant to give a shit...

It saddens me of course that the silvers, and the kings, and to a lesser extent, the stripers, and so many other native and naturalized species are dwindling and there is no urgency (in mainstream America) to prevent it...

It saddens me that I no longer go on fishing websites to post nor to read FISHING reports but rather to stay informed and keep current on the political front so I can do my personal best to thwart the aforementioned apathy and ignorance...

It doesn't help when the mindset regarding Coho salmon is that it's just another tasty fish... as evidenced by the title of the Marin Independent Journal's poll; "Delicious, but in danger"... I realize the journalistic style of catchy titles but that one helps to solidify the already-instilled common belief that the real value of salmon is counted in its culinary virtue rather than its historical and biological significance.

I attended a public hearing in Sunol a few weeks back regarding the EIR submitted by SFPUC for their proposed Calaveras Dam construction and its failure to really provide for and compliment the salmon and steelhead restoration efforts undertaken by the ACA on Alameda Creek.

I am a cynic but not a quiet one and I am glad there are others like me...

You, Darian, David Lee, et al
THANKS!
LONG LIVE THE SALMONIDS!
Mark