PDA

View Full Version : Popsicle question...

Fats
01-03-2010, 10:16 AM
I'm thinking of adding some popsicles to my steelhead box. The idea of having all that marabou can't be a bad thing. I'm going to be sticking with tubes for the bodies so hooks will not be an issue.

My question is this... what colors? I'm sure I'm going to have some black bodies and some purple bodies. What colors should I put on the heads? Any "classic" color combo's that need to be represented? Any favorites that have proven effective?

I could easily copy some patterns from some books but, personal success is important.

Thanks!

JD
01-03-2010, 01:23 PM
The "original" pattern was orange, flourescent pink or red, and purple, I think, which is as good as any place to start. Considering that we are talking steelhead, I can't imagine that any particular color combination would be radically superior to any other, all else being equal. I'd tie them so I had the 'bright day bright fly/dark day dark fly" adage covered, which would mean a few in black, a few in purple, a few originals, and maybe a few experiments for fun. Depending on what rivers you are going to fish, you may want to look into some of the larger articulated variants that they use up in Oregon.

Luck.

jayclarkflyfishing
01-03-2010, 02:18 PM
A Popsicle is pink,orange and purple with a few strands of gold mylar between the first and second color.I have had success with Popsicles as well maribous in other color schemes.I like blue and purple;pink,blue and purple;purple and cerise.These are simple ties and they catch fish.

Jay

Fats
01-03-2010, 06:11 PM
Ok... my bad. I should have asked for colors for the Alaskabou flies...

I was thinking it more of a style than a particular pattern...

I've got my feedback, if I can get the dang lights off the Christmas tree... I can get started tying!

;)