PDA

View Full Version : My first "Spey" fly attempt

SHigSpeed
01-02-2010, 06:24 PM
Since I've been goofing around with swinging flies for trout/steel I figured I might as well chuck poultry to fit in right? I tied some green butts and have used buggers and bunnies, but here's my first intruder/popsicle/whatever.

Enjoy! (And what a pain to tie!)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2657/4239229386_c1fd7c2453_b.jpg

Can't wait to see what it looks like wet. Hope my rod and line can handle it!

_SHig

jayclarkflyfishing
01-02-2010, 08:48 PM
That should swim nicely.

I prefer to tie my maribous' on Alec Jackson hooks(sexy hooks) with no dumbell eyes.Super easy to cast and they catch fish.
One trick to make them easier to tie is strip half the maribou off the stem and all the maribou where you tie the feathers on.If that makes any sense...

Nice tie!

Jay

Fats
01-02-2010, 09:21 PM
That's a good looking fly. Palmering marabou is a pain but the result is fantastic!

SHigSpeed
01-02-2010, 11:04 PM
Though you can't see in the photo, I tied the fly using a loop connection to a stinger in the tail. This way I can keep feeding it fresh hooks.

I do like the AJs though.

Hope to have some good reports tomorow!

_SHig

speyfool
01-03-2010, 09:39 AM
Not that I really care. But be careful calling that a "spey" fly. Technically it isn't and it will offend some really hard core people. :o

Looks good just the same!

jayclarkflyfishing
01-03-2010, 02:20 PM
That fly falls in the maribou category definately not a spey fly.

Jay

SHigSpeed
01-03-2010, 08:34 PM
Gotcha! How is a true Spey fly defined? More like Atlantic Salmon flies?

BTW, only thing I hooked was the back of my vest, net, neck, etc...

_SHig

speyfool
01-04-2010, 10:38 AM
It depends on who you ask. However, I think generally it means a fly tied with tented wings (mallard, goose, etc) that ride low over the hook. And it also has palmered long flowing hackle up the shank. Some will say that any winging material riding low over the hook counts too. Depends on who gives you the answer. :D

I attached a picture. I must preface this by saying I did not tie that fly. I only had it in my "inspiration" folder. I wish I knew who the original tier was or where I found it, so I could give proper credit.

Gotcha! How is a true Spey fly defined? More like Atlantic Salmon flies?

BTW, only thing I hooked was the back of my vest, net, neck, etc...

_SHig

Black Cloud
01-13-2010, 07:23 PM
Nice fly, much better than my first spey. Here are some in my box.

James

www.fisharslonga.com