PDA

View Full Version : XP lining

john
01-02-2010, 06:05 PM
A couple of years ago I fished 3wt 9' XP that was set-up for dries. It was lined with a 2wt WF. It really was a laser. Anyway, I just found one, but it's an 8'. Should that influence my line choice(s).

pvsprme
01-03-2010, 10:09 AM
The only XP I've used was a 6 weight 9 footer. I used it to chuck big cone-head streamers with a 15' type 6 sink-tip. It was a nice, fast action rod. I'm not fond of fast-action rods in the smaller (2-4 wt.) sizes, my preference would be a rod similar to the G.Loomis Pretsentation grade Metolious below (at $200 shipped, it's a steal!).

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/showthread.php/64772-things-for-sale-re-sale

I'd think the consensus for XP's is they would work better overlined rather than underlined, but to each his own.
Robert

Fats
01-03-2010, 10:22 AM
Take it to a fly shop and see how it casts for you with a line size up and down and the designated line size. Once you have a basic feel for the rod, you can make a better decision. Make sure you cast it at the distances you plan to fish it... No sense seeing if you can throw it across the parking lot if all you are going to do is drop dry flies 30' and in.

Just sayin....

john
01-03-2010, 10:49 AM
Thanx for the input, all of which is helpful. However the reality for me, is that there isn't a for-real flyshop within 80 miles. Also, it's -12 degrees outside, and indoor casting facilities are few. I'm kinda just looking for anectdotal(sp) info, realizing personal preferences are just that, personal.