PDA

View Full Version : Sacramento ISE Show

Tony Buzolich
01-01-2010, 10:00 PM
I was just looking at the schedule of events for the Sacramento show and noticed that there weren't ANY presentations scheduled for fly fishing speakers. Yes, there are presenters for Fly Tying and Fly Casting but what about all the Baja, and Delta, and steelheading stuff? I always looked forward to seeing some new technique or hearing about a better way of catching something, or looking at some far off destination place. It doesn't seem to be here this year.

At $15.00 to get in and $10.00 to park, I think it'll be worth the drive to San Mateo or the Fly Fishing Show in Pleasanton and at least get what you want to see.
TONY

Jay Murakoshi
01-02-2010, 09:30 AM
Tony,

What you see is correct. They dropped the fly fishing theater at the Sacramento show, why? I haven't the slightest clue. All I know is that I'll be in the tying theater on Saturday.
I know the couple of times when they did have the presentation theater, the area was split between the tying theater and the presentation theater.
Now the thing is if you want to see all the products, most of them will be showing at the San Mateo show, with very few of the larger companies at the Pleasanton show. I would have to think the economy has a lot to do with spending the money and picking what shows they are displaying at. Plus, the interest isn't there like 15 years ago. It's mainly a "buddy reunion" where everyone sees each other once a year.
At the San Mateo show, we are doing a presentation on the California surf zone and not Baja or Bass.....
I know I have more club presentations this year for my Baja presentations. So hopefully this is where the people can come and see what's happening south of the border. I'm even going out of state with the presentation.

I will also be passing out my Baja DVD (hopefully all 500 of them) to anyone who wants to see the action in Baja

Hope to see you at one of the shows

Jay

shawn kempkes
01-02-2010, 11:47 AM
I have a feeling the flyfishing show will dissapear soon. Not many of the big companies are going to be there. Ie Sage rio and reddington are going to San Mateo instead.
The flyfishing show in bellvue WA is a no go this year. San Mateo is also a shadow of its former self.

Jay Murakoshi
01-02-2010, 08:24 PM
Shawn,

A couple reason's a lot of the manufacturer's aren't showing up at the shows is because of budgets and I believe the other reason is because of a commitment. But I do think there will be a big change in the trade show industry in the next few years.
As for Bellevue, the show last year was pretty dismal. A lot of empty exhibitor spaces and less people attending the show.
I've been with the ISE show since '89 and the Fly Fishing show since it first arrived in San Rafael. Promoters are like anyone else in business, they are there to make money and a living. But when the cost to operate goes sky high, they have to either raise there prices or eliminate "big draw names." I know there are a lot of people in this industry who got in thinking that they would make big bucks and a good living. Believe me, it's just a dream for most. I know, I've been down that road. Thank god I didn't quit my real day time job.
Only a handful of celebrities have made a decent living through the fly fishing industry and you can probably count all of them on one hand.

Jay